+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slow or fast weapon for Assasination?

Default Slow or fast weapon for Assasination?

Hey, title says it all. Tried to do some searching, couldn't find a good reply..

Slow weapon in main hand, fast in off hand for poison procs?

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Abilities use the DPS value for ability calculations, not the damage range... so highest dps for best results in regards to abilities. Faster weapons will proc more, so there is that. Fast/high dps is what you're after for the most part. Whetstones also benefit faster weapons a little more too, to my understanding.
    Last edited by StealthStalker; 06-07-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Ability damage is normalized, so a fast weapon will hit just as hard as a slow weapon if they have the same DPS. Because of this, you want faster if all else is equal. More poison procs, more trinket/essence procs, more benefit from Spotter's Order if you are raiding, and larger benefit from whetstones as well I believe.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

That's nice guys, thanks. I'm still levelling. Was thinking maybe for that purpose it'd be better to have a high weapon damage in the main hand for hard-hitting hit'n runs if you know what i mean.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rebjorn View Post
    That's nice guys, thanks. I'm still levelling. Was thinking maybe for that purpose it'd be better to have a high weapon damage in the main hand for hard-hitting hit'n runs if you know what i mean.
    wow. i think this is the first time that someone has posted the weapon speed question, and not argue with the responses because of what WoW does.

thumbs up to you OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    Ability damage is normalized, so a fast weapon will hit just as hard as a slow weapon if they have the same DPS. Because of this, you want faster if all else is equal. More poison procs, more trinket/essence procs, more benefit from Spotter's Order if you are raiding, and larger benefit from whetstones as well I believe.
    Just a tweak
    Slow weapons WILL hit harder during autoattacks but will maintain the exact same ability damage and dps if both fast/slow weapons are the same dps (29.4dps sword vs 29.4dps dagger)
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ilterendi View Post
    Just a tweak
    Slow weapons WILL hit harder during autoattacks but will maintain the exact same ability damage and dps if both fast/slow weapons are the same dps (29.4dps sword vs 29.4dps dagger)
    Right, that's why I specificed "ability damage" and not "all damage".

One single auto attack with a slow weapon will hit harder than with a fast weapon, but their auto attack DPS will still be the same with either since the faster weapon swings more often. It will actually be higher with the faster weapon, due to Spotter's Order and whetstones.

Shadowlander

The text on pretty much all the abilities states "weapon plus XYZ physical damage." How do you guys know the text refers to a weapon's damage per second as opposed to its designated damage range?

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Garinold View Post
    The text on pretty much all the abilities states "weapon plus XYZ physical damage." How do you guys know the text refers to a weapon's damage per second as opposed to its designated damage range?
    Tests upon tests upon tests upon tests.

Also, patch notes.

Edit: But you don't have to take our advice, go do whatever you want.
    Last edited by Sez; 06-07-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Ty, and you're all giving good input and I take it to heart. Just remember please what it is I'm really asking: For soloing (not hardcore raid dps), for jumping a mob now and then, doing tons of dmg in a few sec, carrying on, what's the better deal? Especially if not speccing into the poison-damage-boosting talents in the Assasination tree.

Btw:
    wow. i think this is the first time that someone has posted the weapon speed question, and not argue with the responses because of what WoW does.

thumbs up to you OP.
    Thanks for that, you caught me there, have been playing warr, rogue, shammy, hunter for ages. This is a bit different though, I love it :>
    Last edited by Rebjorn; 06-08-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Rebjorn View Post
    For soloing (not hardcore raid dps), for jumping a mob now and then, doing tons of dmg in a few sec, carrying on, what's the better deal? Especially if not speccing into the poison-damage-boosting talents in the Assasination tree.
    /facepalm

We have told you everything you need to know. Go, run, stab things and profit.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Xsi

<Looks for Dev post stating "Normalized">

Ah here we go:

* Weapon damage added to abilities has been normalized. There should be a much smaller difference in damage done using a fast weapon versus a slow one. This sounds minor but is actually a high impact change!

* Increased the base damage on all weapons.

* Increased the base damage for all Attack Power-based abilities.

* Auto-attack no longer benefits from Attack Power.
    Last edited by Xsi; 06-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Quote Originally Posted by Xsi View Post
    <Looks for Dev post stating "Normalized">
    Are you claiming that they aren't normalized?

Ah nevermind, your original post was a bit confusing as to your meaning.

Yes, abilities were normalized in Beta 6. The "much smaller difference" is effectively 0 difference with our current gear levels.

Rift Disciple

"speed over damage"
    because the damage is nearly the same, and the proc's are incresased.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast