+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker Tanking - Dodge/Parry vs Endurance?

Rift Disciple

Default Riftstalker Tanking - Dodge/Parry vs Endurance?

Which do you think is better for a Riftstalker Tank -
    Dodge/Parry or Endurance?

My feelings on this is that Dodge/Parry is better on trash but you want as much Endurance for Boss fights.

Problem is, this is just feelings and I have no numbers to back them up. So seeking a answer from anyone who does *serious* Rogue tanking. (and hopefully someone has some numbers to back it up.)

Telaran

A guildy told me something about tanking in this game before I start tanking:

1. Mitigation
    2. Endurance
    3. Avoidance

General of Telara

Toughness till appropriate cap > Elemental resist for certain instances > Endurance > Avoidance I'd say :s

Don't take my word for it though lol. I have only tanked the first 4 bosses of GSB, no RoS or Greenscale . I think T2/T3 gear in general focuses more heavily on Endurance anyways. It's a bit harder to stack things like Dodge / lolParry

Quote Originally Posted by Pipone View Post
    A guildy told me something about tanking in this game before I start tanking:

1. Mitigation
    2. Endurance
    3. Avoidance
    Doesn't work well for Riftstalkers because we get half the amount of Armor that Warriors do, therefor, putting the focus for us like this:

1. Toughness.
    2. Avoidance.
    3. Endurance.
    4. Mitigation.
    Last edited by Taemek; 06-07-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Champion

well anything that has avoidance on it tends to come with a more than healthy amount of endurance on it as its tank gear (only basic random suffix items tend to go against this) and endurance isn't that important for rogues, we get so much of it anyway.

I'd say:

1: Toughness (to the cap obviously)
    2: Avoidance (getting that item with +10 dodge is gonna be more helpful than a +3 endurance)
    3: Endurance
    4: Mitigation (can you actually gear for this? same tier items of the same quality all tend to have same armour on it..)

Unless were talking about talent build in which case:

1: Mitigation
    2: Avoidance
    3: HP/Endurance

funny how everyone lists something different.
    You canít have best of both words

For bosses (you wonít dodge)
    1. Toughness
    2. Endurance
    3. Mitigation
    4. Avoidance

For trash (you can dodge)
    1. Avoidance
    2. Toughness
    3. Mitigation
    4. Endurance

You guys are all forgetting the basic rule that the size of your e-peen = health/1,000

Quote Originally Posted by Anomolis View Post
    funny how everyone lists something different.
    You can’t have best of both words

For bosses (you won’t dodge)
    1. Toughness
    2. Endurance
    3. Mitigation
    4. Avoidance

For trash (you can dodge)
    1. Avoidance
    2. Toughness
    3. Mitigation
    4. Endurance
    This is incorrect. Either you've never tanked raids in this game, or you're just assuming that Rift plays like WoW.

Here's the proof that you're talking out your butt:

Isomalts Riftstalker raiding guide http://www.unstablerift.com/?q=node/171
    Dodge-centric BIS tankset list: http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/576

And finally, the damage comparison BY SPEC running BIS tankset gear: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...0A&hl=en#gid=0

As you can see, 51 RS/7 Ranger/8 BD takes the cake on all of them, with the least amount of damage taken/time spent. This is all from the MT on a Greenscale/Alsbeth clearing Riftstalker raid tank.
    Last edited by Goros; 06-07-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the Ghosts of War...
    GoWning MMO's since 2002

Rift Disciple

LOL

Was reading through this thread and just had to chuckle. Pretty much every post is saying "We don't know for sure but this is what we like."

Plane Touched

yea, isomalts guide is very good, read it.

you need 150 toughness to tank raid...period, if you dont, you shuoldnt be tanking raid....

and no matter ow much dodge/parry you have, you WILL take hits...and lotsa things you cant dodge/parry, like noxious fumes to name one....

so you gotta be able to take hits....endurance....you should be breaking 12-13k if your considering raid boss tanking.

then put rest in dex +/- dodge....you'll find as you get raid gear, you dont really have to make this decision, the game itemization makes it for you for the most part.

Rift Disciple

You can't discuss avoidance vs. endurance just like this.

The biggest factor is: If the boss can kill you in a reasonable timeframe you need more endurance (or your healer needs to stack more L2P, start with that first, if the boss still can take you down to fast after that, go with more endurance). If the boss (or whatever you tank) can't kill you and the healer keeps up, avoidance wins.

Shadowlander

Default Gearing up for T1

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatybetty View Post
    yea, isomalts guide is very good, read it.

you need 150 toughness to tank raid...period, if you dont, you shuoldnt be tanking raid....

and no matter ow much dodge/parry you have, you WILL take hits...and lotsa things you cant dodge/parry, like noxious fumes to name one....

so you gotta be able to take hits....endurance....you should be breaking 12-13k if your considering raid boss tanking.

then put rest in dex +/- dodge....you'll find as you get raid gear, you dont really have to make this decision, the game itemization makes it for you for the most part.
    I'm a new Rogue tank to this game with Rift/Bard/Ranger spec. I'm gearing so that I can start running T1. I have Weaponsmitth at 300. And was looking at what recipe I can buy from vendor. I see it has a hammer with +dodge,+parry and + endurance. Should I use the Mace instead of dagger or sword with +Dex, +Str and + Endurance? Also, how much HP and toughness do I need to start on T1?

Quote Originally Posted by SamayouSamurai View Post
    I'm a new Rogue tank to this game with Rift/Bard/Ranger spec. I'm gearing so that I can start running T1. I have Weaponsmitth at 300. And was looking at what recipe I can buy from vendor. I see it has a hammer with +dodge,+parry and + endurance. Should I use the Mace instead of dagger or sword with +Dex, +Str and + Endurance? Also, how much HP and toughness do I need to start on T1?
    You need 50 toughness to start tanking T1s. Most (read all) can be crafted/purchased/augmented without even stepping foot in a T1. That's a good start. I'd go with the dagger/sword that has dex and endurance. 1 dex grants 1 dodge and endurance is a pretty important stat, especially for new tanks. I think new T1 riftstalkers should have anywhere around 7k hp.

Quote Originally Posted by mavik View Post
    LOL

Was reading through this thread and just had to chuckle. Pretty much every post is saying "We don't know for sure but this is what we like."
    Yeah, because Isomalts parsing statistics are to be scoffed at.....

Toughness
    Mitigation (meaning taking a raid tanking spec)
    Hps
    Threat
    Avoidance

Avoidance adds up, but it's not a raid tanking stat. Never has been really. Consistency is better out of your main tank, healers in T2s and raids spam heals anways. Dodging 2 attacks looks great on a parser, but rarely matters in the long run.

I separated threat from avoidance because dodge = threat and that's the main benefit imo.
    Last edited by Mayi; 06-08-2011 at 03:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast