+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Macros

Soulwalker

Default Macros

Ok so I just recently got into the game and have been kind of shadowing the forums sense about beta. I'm still very uncertain how things work and Macros here are one of them. They don't seem to work the same as in wow so I don't know how these work.

Also, it seems like people just macro all these abilities to this one and then all of these to this one and then just spam those. Is that all really necessary? Because that would make things rather boring I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgrif View Post
    Ok so I just recently got into the game and have been kind of shadowing the forums sense about beta. I'm still very uncertain how things work and Macros here are one of them. They don't seem to work the same as in wow so I don't know how these work.

Also, it seems like people just macro all these abilities to this one and then all of these to this one and then just spam those. Is that all really necessary? Because that would make things rather boring I would think.
    No, it's not necessary, but no matter how lame - it is the most efficient way to do it given the macro system in Rift.

In Rift, you have a massive amount of abilities, many of them are reactionary ones as well. That's where you see a lot of the macros coming into play. I'll give an example to kinda lay out how they work.

You have Backstab, an ability that is only used from behind, with a 6 second cooldown. Reprisal, usable after a dodge or parry, off the GCD, and has a 6 second cooldown. Quick Strike, 0 cooldown, but must follow a Keen Strike. This is a very basic single target macro.

#show Backstab(or whatever tooltip you want)
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Backstab
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

What this macro will do, is first check to see if Reprisal can be used. Then Backstab will be checked and used if you are behind your target. Next will check to use Quick Strike. If none of the others have been used, it will use Keen Strike. It condenses those 4 hotkeys into one. Another thing to keep in mind is that 2 Combo Point abilities are 40 energy, so you can macro them into another one.

Something like:
    #show Puncture
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Puncture
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Dusk Strike

This is assuming you have the points in those 3 classes to have them all. First, it will use Puncture. Next, if Puncture is on cooldown, it will check to see if Precision Strike can be used, and if not, it will use Dusk Strike.

Long wall of text, but hope this helps lay them out some for you, and explain why most people use them. Without them, we'd need like 6 hotbars of abilities.

Ascendant

like the above poster said, the macros are really just to help you maximize on all those abilities that are not really situational and not always available.

if you have an ability that you want to use at specific moments (like a huge burst, cc, etc) then don't put them in a macro. But for stuff like backstab, quick strike, all those proc'd or "usable after" abilities can just go on a macro and you can hit that button when you want a combo point.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgrif View Post
    People have mentioned above that you still want some fine control for certain situations, but I also want to say that when dealing with progression content, I aspire to be bored. If putting out high dps can be boring, then that frees a lot of mental resources to put on situational awareness.

Responding to fight mechanics/observing how the rest of the raid is doing is every bit as important as putting out dps. You need to do both obviously, but there's a lot more to being a good rogue than managing a complicated rotation and ensuring that 5 dots never drop off.

Soulwalker

All you need to know about macros is that you build descending from abilities with the most restrictions to abilities with the least restrictions (this can include CD, range, reactionary, situational, prerequisites, etc). Boom, so simple.

Rift Chaser

I dont do melee so I dont have a ton of abilities in one macro. What I do is use shift and ctrl as modifiers basically so i can squeeze more skills into easy reach. I really like to use my two mouse buttons and 1-5 as many abilities as possible.

EDIT: For example for Riftstalker I have Rift Guard, Guarded Steel (shift), and False Blade (ctrl) all in a macro on one of my mouse thumb buttons. The other thumb button has planar strike (with strike back) and phantom blow (shift). This still leaves me full control of every ability, but condenses my number of buttons down considerably.
    Last edited by Noburu; 06-07-2011 at 07:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Soulwalker

thanks i've also been having problems with macros this helps a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Noburu View Post
    EDIT: For example for Riftstalker I have Rift Guard, Guarded Steel (shift), and False Blade (ctrl) all in a macro on one of my mouse thumb buttons. The other thumb button has planar strike (with strike back) and phantom blow (shift). This still leaves me full control of every ability, but condenses my number of buttons down considerably.
    Putting Rift Guard, Guarded Steel and False Blade all in the same macro would just cast whichever one is listed first. You cannot cast multiple non-conditional, 0 cooldown abilities in the same macro. There MUST be conditions that forces the macro to the next step down in the macro list, otherwise it will just repeat the first command over and over.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Calysto View Post
    Putting Rift Guard, Guarded Steel and False Blade all in the same macro would just cast whichever one is listed first. You cannot cast multiple non-conditional, 0 cooldown abilities in the same macro. There MUST be conditions that forces the macro to the next step down in the macro list, otherwise it will just repeat the first command over and over.
    You misunderstand. They are all cast with modifiers, hence the shift and ctrl. I hold shift or control and hit the button. It uses a different skill depending on what modifier key I have held down.

Here are the two macros so you can see what I mean:

#show Rift Guard
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast [shift] Guarded Steel
    cast [ctrl] False Blade
    cast Rift Guard

#show Phantom Blow
    suppressmacrofailures
    stopcasting
    cast [shift] Phantom Blow
    cast Planar Strike
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

+ Reply to Thread