+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard Motif Overhaul

Soulwalker

Default Bard Motif Overhaul

I made myself a Bard role for the first time the other day. It was kinda fun, but I got tired of staring at buff/debuff timers all the time, and when I came to look, I saw a lot of folks on the forums with the same complaint about refreshing motifs.

I doubt that the developers generally get their ideas from the forums, but since game design is something I take a great interest in, I'm going to post some mechanical changes that I would test if I were the lead developer.

Goals:
    *Make the bard feel more goal focussed/interactive
    *Increase depth of strategy for a bard in a group
    *Try not to break or overpower the soul in the process

In other words, when all is said and done, Bards should do roughly the same thing, with some room to sway a little farther from their buff-replenishing rotation to focus more on dps or healing should that prove necessary. So without further ado, lets get cracking!

Motifs: The root of the problem
    Bard is a pretty cool guy. Nothing is inherently wrong with the idea of bards being a buff based support soul. But sometimes it feels like you really wouldn't notice if the bard just refreshed motifs while spamming cadence, and that's boring. The truth is people like damage and healing better. As the maker of a WoW Fury PvP video, whose name I've sadly forgotten, said "****in numbers make me wanna ****in play WoW!".

The following changes will probably increase the overall healing and damage of the bard in raids, by allowing them to actually cast damaging and healing finishers more often, but I don't think anyone's really worried about bards doing too much damage. If it looks like too much, the base abilities could be scaled down slightly. If you have concerns, please post about your concerns and we'll discuss them!

The big idea
    My main proposal is changing motifs from an instant-cast group buff to a "stance-like" self buff that makes your other abilities apply your buffs and debuffs. Only one motif can be active on you at a time. Here they are:

Motif of Bravery:
    Your music takes on an inspiring character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you increase the attack power and spell power of party and raid members by 12 for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Bravery is active, your coda of wrath and coda of fury deal 10% more damage.

Motif of Focus:
    Your music takes on a stimulating character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you increase the critical hit and spell critical hit chance of party and raid members by 1% for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Focus is active, your coda of wrath and coda of fury refresh the duration of your cowardice and distress debuffs.

Motif of Tenacity:
    Your music takes on a cohesive character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, reduce the damage taken by party and raid members by 1% for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Tenacity is active, your coda of restoration heals 10% more.

Motif of Grandeur:
    Your music takes on a grandiose character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you increase the healing received by party and raid members by 1% for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Grandeur is active, your coda of restoration returns 10 energy.

Motif of Regeneration:
    Your music takes on a soothing character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you heal party and raid members for 30 health.
    While Motif of regeneration is active, your coda of restoration refreshes the duration of your motifs’ effects on party and raid members.

Please share your thoughts!

I still say just increase motif duration to 60 sec so that we can do other stuff rather than spending almost 20% of our time refreshing motifs.

I think this is an interesting take on Motifs, and moving in this direction could eliminate the "there can only be one" problem that Bards have at the moment.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Pandaburn View Post
    I made myself a Bard role for the first time the other day. It was kinda fun, but I got tired of staring at buff/debuff timers all the time, and when I came to look, I saw a lot of folks on the forums with the same complaint about refreshing motifs.

I doubt that the developers generally get their ideas from the forums, but since game design is something I take a great interest in, I'm going to post some mechanical changes that I would test if I were the lead developer.

Goals:
    *Make the bard feel more goal focussed/interactive
    *Increase depth of strategy for a bard in a group
    *Try not to break or overpower the soul in the process

In other words, when all is said and done, Bards should do roughly the same thing, with some room to sway a little farther from their buff-replenishing rotation to focus more on dps or healing should that prove necessary. So without further ado, lets get cracking!

Motifs: The root of the problem
    Bard is a pretty cool guy. Nothing is inherently wrong with the idea of bards being a buff based support soul. But sometimes it feels like you really wouldn't notice if the bard just refreshed motifs while spamming cadence, and that's boring. The truth is people like damage and healing better. As the maker of a WoW Fury PvP video, whose name I've sadly forgotten, said "****in numbers make me wanna ****in play WoW!".

The following changes will probably increase the overall healing and damage of the bard in raids, by allowing them to actually cast damaging and healing finishers more often, but I don't think anyone's really worried about bards doing too much damage. If it looks like too much, the base abilities could be scaled down slightly. If you have concerns, please post about your concerns and we'll discuss them!

The big idea
    My main proposal is changing motifs from an instant-cast group buff to a "stance-like" self buff that makes your other abilities apply your buffs and debuffs. Only one motif can be active on you at a time. Here they are:

Motif of Bravery:
    Your music takes on an inspiring character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you increase the attack power and spell power of party and raid members by 12 for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Bravery is active, your coda of wrath and coda of fury deal 10% more damage.

Motif of Focus:
    Your music takes on a stimulating character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you increase the critical hit and spell critical hit chance of party and raid members by 1% for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Focus is active, your coda of wrath and coda of fury refresh the duration of your cowardice and distress debuffs.

Motif of Tenacity:
    Your music takes on a cohesive character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, reduce the damage taken by party and raid members by 1% for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Tenacity is active, your coda of restoration heals 10% more.

Motif of Grandeur:
    Your music takes on a grandiose character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you increase the healing received by party and raid members by 1% for 30 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times.
    While Motif of Grandeur is active, your coda of restoration returns 10 energy.

Motif of Regeneration:
    Your music takes on a soothing character. Whenever you add a combo point to your target, you heal party and raid members for 30 health.
    While Motif of regeneration is active, your coda of restoration refreshes the duration of your motifs’ effects on party and raid members.

Please share your thoughts!
    ^ no. dont overhaul the damn motifs in this manner just make their duration longer. none of the above mentioned changes really make bard better to play. which is all i care about. bard already contributes a decent amount to raids just give us more time on motifs so we spend less time spamming refreshing them.

That change to Motif of Regen is gd awful btw. Why would you want it to not heal unless you are actively hitting something? that is a terrible idea and kind of negates it as a HoT, lol.

Ascendant

when i'm playing bard, i kinda like feeling like a buff-bot. I feel like if this was a RTS, I'm the guy you make one of for each group you are sending in just to keep the others buffed up and help them stay alive longer. I'm the guy that a group is weak without, but also the guy that doesn't go in alone.

I wish they could just change triumphant spirit 3/3 to increase healing done by 60% instead of 15%.
    And reduce the cooldown of verse of vitality.

Also regarding the fanfares. For the love of God allow us to single target buff people with the fanfare the actually need.
    Last edited by DaniWes; 06-06-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

I like the bard the way it is currently. They just need to make it so you can macro your motifs properly. What kind of twisting class can't macro their chants?? Please I don't want to use 3 bars on my bard.

Another idea would be to turn them into permanent buffs but make it so you can only maintain 3.

Given how much overlap there is with other classes and buffs (5% extra healing is the only one that's unique to bards) I'd gladly make 3 permanent buffs and lose 2 if it meant I don't have to refresh motifs.

Soulwalker

nice idea, but i would have to agree with most the other guys incress the timer on the motifs so they are more inline with the debuffs. but maybe put in something like the Rift stalkers phases one for heavy metal (all damging skill do more damage and all healing is reduced) and one for classical (all healing is incressed and damage is reduced )

another issue that i've noticed and am not happy about is that gear scaling with the skills
    Last edited by willowblades; 06-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.

I dont want to see bards changed up like that. Tho a 60 second timer as compared to the 30 seconds would be nice. One thing id like to see changed is this... the awesome Motif of "fluffy bunnies" Encouragement. I mean, to hit 36 points into the dang tree and get a goofy motif that attracts up to 5 critters to follow you around while you keep it up and running? Seriously?

Whats the reason for that one? And at that level? Did I miss a quest somewhere that requires it?... Is there a special raid or dungeon run that needs 5 fluffy critters following a rogue to complete it? What was the guy that came up with that idea smoking, that came up with that motif?

It reminds me of the EQII Paladin spell you get to buy when ya hit lvl 50 i believe. You get a follower. He has a sword, and you summon him like a pet...but guess what.... He doesnt do a dang thing. At least with the Paladin one, I got to name him...Which ended up being called " Worthless " Give us something usable at 36 points in, not that trash. Or if not that...then delete the dang thing from our choices to use. So we dont have to look at the wasted spell as an insult to our gifts.

Sorry for the carebears that use that motif for fun. Ive yet to see a bard on Sunrest running around all over the place with 5 crittiers in tow. Sure when you first get it, you try it...but that gets old very fast.
    Last edited by FloridaOkie; 06-06-2011 at 05:32 PM.

I know why we have MoE....I know that the mez was it before and its just a joke one kept in. But heck...the little critters could at least attack or somethin, hehe.

+ Reply to Thread