+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue dps threat issues

Soulwalker

Default Rogue dps threat issues

Some background information that might help. I'm running 22 sin/27 BD/17 NB. Our tank is using a high-mitigation spec to reduce damage inc (but I still pull aggro on fights he uses a high-threat spec).
    I am using Fiery Spike in my rotation and I've been told it's bugged and generates more threat than it should? Any confirmation on that?

I've searched the forums for a bit and the only threat issue threads I can find (from way back) are the ones from rogue tanks.

As a dps rogue I get aggro quite often. I've come to the conclusion that this is NOT the tank's fault. I've had this issue with different tanks, all of whom are quite competent and never have issues with warriors pulling same dps as me.

Now, this is quite of a big deal to me. I'm forced to either spec sab for incriminate or ranger so some of my threat is caused by pet and not me. I can't go any melee build (don't bother suggesting melee sab builds) unless I want to deliberatey perform bad by holding back dps etc to not get aggro.

Keep in mind that I DO hold back 5 secs on pull to give tank some time to get aggro.

I'm pulling a 1.5k consistant dps on plutonus with 1.6k spikes on cooldowns (if I haven't already aggro'd by that point). My biggest issue is that our guild is planning on using Spotter's order on Plutonus from now on and that is going to make it impossible for me to survive till the end if I use this spec.

What I'm looking for here is:

- A rogue who has had same issue as me and found a way around it.

What I'm not looking for is:

- An Einstein telling me to respec sab for Incriminate
    - An Einstein telling me to reduce my dps
    - Trolls trolling my about my dps (whether it being too high and require a screenshot of ACT, or too low and want to brag they have higher dps than me. Regardless, **** off. This thread is not about dps. It's about threat.)

Thnx in advance.
    Last edited by Mitoko; 06-02-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Respec sab for Incri-

..dammit.

Champion of Telara

1. If you pull 1000 dps with that build you pull 1000 threat per second.
    2. If a Warr pulls 1000 dps with BM, they pull 750 threat per second and their pet pulls 250 threat per second. You will pull threat before the Warrior.
    3. Have your Warrior tank use a real raiding spec like Warlord so they can intercept you and add tons of raid DPS with Spotter's Order.
    4. When #3 is not viable, get some Sabs in the raid with incriminate.
    5. If your tank is a Rogue, have them spam Planar Strike more, and waste fewer GCDs on finishers and taunt (unless they need to refresh buffs or actually pull a mob that they lost).
    6. If the tank is a Cleric, moarSabo. Or use a Ranger spec and divert threat to the pet.
    Last edited by EasymodeX; 06-02-2011 at 06:52 AM.

I found speccing "melee ranger" Ranger/Sin/Dancer and dump my initial aggro to my pet working well :P

Suppose it might be slightly lower dps, but dead rogues do no dps at all!
    Your pet is easily insta resummoned and it's better to sacrifice the pet than you!
    "The universe is a machine where you have been placed, and like a machine the outcome can be known. Every battle has already been won or lost. All that is left is for you to choose your side."

Get the aggro reset trinket from Crystal boss in LH....

keep it in your inventory and have a macro ready to equip it and use it.
    Xerise, Eliana, Eurydice, Rissa and December
    http://www.direman.com/everwas/index.php

non warlord specs cannot hold aggro in a raid setting. this is why our rogue simply tanks most the bosses since our warrior is 51 vk (/boggle) and cannot hold aggro.

our threat is still kinda bugged... but it's more the fact that tanks are maxing out at 300dps and 1500 threat, and we are maxing out over 1500dps and easily surpassing them on threat. we always have sabos for that reason as they push the tanks threat over 2000.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Plane Walker

I'm rolling with 27 BD/19 Sin/20 NB and I actually have to slow down my DPS during some longer single-target encounters because I always at some point pull aggro and getting myself killed.

It happened a few times yesterday on the Hylas fight. I pulled aggro off the Infiltrator right before Oleria spawns and dying from a combination of the damage from Johlen and Soul Fracture. T__T

Give your tank a whetstone.

Also, if you are pulling aggro off a tank while you're doing 1600 DPS, the tank is doing something wrong. Is your tank still using a weapon from experts or does he have a raid drop?

Oh and also... Spotter's Order will help your tank hold aggro. It adds a flat damage value to all of your attacks, and a tank's threat scales based on their damage. 40 damage per swing on a tank causes a lot more additional threat than 40 damage per swing from you.
    Last edited by Dinadass; 06-02-2011 at 07:08 AM.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Telaran

I have the same issue as well.

There is a threat reducing greater focus from the rare goods vendors in Stillmoor that I am thinking about trying out.

Champion of Telara

^

Never get threat reduction. Tell your tanks to L2p instead.

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    ^

Never get threat reduction. Tell your tanks to L2p instead.
    ^^^agreed...
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™

General of Telara

Yeah the BD spec ripped aggro all the time for me if the tank got even the slightest bit lazy. I've stopped using it for that reason lol. Though realistically, tanks shouldn't have trouble with proper gear, spotters orders, and a Sab using incriminate, and using Intercept or w/e its called.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitto View Post
    Yeah the BD spec ripped aggro all the time for me if the tank got even the slightest bit lazy. I've stopped using it for that reason lol. Though realistically, tanks shouldn't have trouble with proper gear, spotters orders, and a Sab using incriminate, and using Intercept or w/e its called.
    yea ill stop using saboteur for 90% of content when tanks learn to hold aggro, until then they get my incriminate every 30 seconds

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    yea ill stop using saboteur for 90% of content when tanks learn to hold aggro, until then they get my incriminate every 30 seconds
    I'm with you on that lol

+ Reply to Thread