+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or does backstab not seem worth the point?

Default Is it just me or does backstab not seem worth the point?

Well I'm only level 31 but to be honest I barely notice the damage difference from my backstab and savage strike. Not only that but it require you to be behind the target and still has the 6 second cooldown.

Just wondering if any other rogues think it's worth the point or not.

Champion

Depends what your doing.

It adds a nice bit of burst to pvp and in teams it can do some decent damage but for solo its almost entirely useless.

only put the point in backstab to reach serpent strike wich i find more and more addicted to =)
    now im playing 51sin/15bd/0ranger, think im gonna try 51sin/15inf/0ranger as soon i hit pr4
    only pr3 atm.
    and i feel as you about backstab, i never use it cause it feels pretty useless.
    [lvl 50 rogue][icewatch][51sin/15inf/0ranger][defiant
    http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Narwhals/

Yes, it is pretty useless. Assassinate skill replaces it totally, and in combat, the burst it gives is not much compared to waiting for CD on stealth then going assassinate/jagged again.

Plane Touched

I don't find it too bad...

#show Savage Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Backstab
    cast Savage Strike

Means that I use it whenever possible instead of my Savage Strike (Savage does about 300 damage a crit, Backstab does about 500... They both cost the same energy and give a combo point... Which one should I prefer?)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Red Star View Post
    Yes, it is pretty useless. Assassinate skill replaces it totally, and in combat, the burst it gives is not much compared to waiting for CD on stealth then going assassinate/jagged again.
    You do realize that assassinate is used in stealth, backstab is not, right?

Telaran

I'm not too thrilled with Backstab either.

I can see a 51 point Sin using it, they'll wanna attack from behind for Double Cross anyhow. But otherwise? Meh, could probably get better from a sub soul.

Currently I've subbed Riftstalker, and I've found Rift Disturbance does slightly more damage, but AoE, and tosses up a debuff.

In my last build I subbed Bladedancer, and Precision Strike was just outright better than Backstab.

I've just stopped spending the point on it, I always seem to have a better option that doesn't require me to get someone's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Souman View Post
    Well I'm only level 31

/endthread.

at level 31 you dont really have any significant attack power to be adding a damage bonus to backstab, dusk strike, precision strike, etc...

in my build the (deadly dance buffed) Backstab crits for 1000-1200, savage 6-800, and serpent strike 2k+

some stats are just more meaningful at endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremite View Post
    You do realize that assassinate is used in stealth, backstab is not, right?
    Yes, that makes it even harder, in combat you need to stun/move behind then stab, in many situations, it's very hard.

Plane Touched

Yes, that makes it even harder, in combat you need to stun/move behind then stab, in many situations, it's very hard.
    If solo, then yes.

In any sort of team and PvP (Basically everything that isn't soloing) not really...

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    If solo, then yes.

In any sort of team and PvP (Basically everything that isn't soloing) not really...
    I prefer to use the time taken to throw in more macros or slip away...

Era
    Champion of Telara

I like using Paralyzing Strike then Backstab...works up more combo points then Assassinate and also gives a 4 second window to take down the target. Granted I do this while leveling, but Backstab is also nice for finishing off someone who's trying to run from you.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

Plane Touched

I prefer to use the time taken to throw in more macros or slip away...
    Time taken to do what?

Stand in a place you should already be in because of other attacks getting more damage from being behind and the whole "Cannot be parried from behind" thing that makes all MDPS want to stand behind things as much as they can?

Also using Backstab does not mean you cannot Slip Away... It just means you did 500 damage instead of 300 in the attack just before you used it...

By the way last time I checked Slip Away was a 2 minute Cooldown whereas Backstab is only 6 seconds... Unless you are somehow Slipping Away every six seconds the "I'd rather Slip Away and do Assassinate because it's better" logic falls flat...
    Last edited by Taril; 05-28-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Backstab is horrible damage for a 6 second cooldown position required ability. Also serpent strike is too for a 51 point cd proc based ability. The only time u ever use these 2 abilities to get the most out of them is in conjunction with eachother after a deadly strike. I can crit average 1k on backstab and 1800 on serpent... average, sometimes more sometimes less. Most of the time its enough burst to kill a cleric mage or rogue in the first stun assuming everything goes according to plan a paralyzing strike puncture deadly strike backstab serpent will kill em... so ya they're useful situationally which IMO should not be how it should be.
    Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Soulwalker

Really the only problem with Backstab is that it shouldnt have a cooldown.

It's stupid to have a skill that is both position dependent and on a cooldown.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast