+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vydar's Melee/Ranged/Pet Build 1300+ DPS

Soulwalker

Default Vydar's Melee/Ranged/Pet Build 1300+ DPS

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be an amazing Rogue or to be an expert. Please criticize (gently please) or advise. I spent a lot of time theorycrafting, but that doesn't mean I have it down perfectly. This is a build that is great fun, versatile, and high DPS output. Also, I really hate using Fiery Spike stacks. I loathe them. I also don't claim to be the first person ever to use melee/ranger build, obviously. This is just my build, rotation, and results of my experimenting. Thanks for reading!

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ob.qGMfz0ksomz

31 Ranger, 19 Assassin, 16 Bladedancer

Now the premise behind this build is pretty simple.

You get what you have to from Assassin (5% crit, 4% increase to physical damage, Serrated Blades, Cruel Vengeance, Magnify Pain, Backstab, Puncture)

You get what you have to from Bladedancer (Deadly Strike, Precision Strike, Deadly Strike, and Deadly Strike)

Then the other 31 points in Ranger have a few optionals, but you get what you must (5% crit, Improved Quick shot, Increased Ranged damage, 6% decrease to incoming damage, 5% damage buff for you and your pet, 15% damage increase for your pet, Trick Shot, Rain of Arrows, 15% damage increase for you whenever your pet crits (pet has the same amount of natural crit you do), a point into keeping your pet alive during aoe's and increasing it's damage yet again, the insta pet cast, and Blood raptor. You end up having about 6 points that can go wherever the hell you want.) If you end up being at ranged a lot, put points into Opportunity for the extra combo point on your finisher. If you want survivability, put it into your health. Several options here.

Now the way I use this build, it's typically a 4 button rotation. It is more effective with a 5 button rotation, but if you want to keep it simple to maximize your time for awareness, 4 buttons will do.

Buffs to use:

Combat Pose (dex increase) if you don't get a bard str/dex party
    Virulent Poison
    Lethal Poison
    Predatory Instincts/Feral Instincts (depends how much crit you have)

Consumables to use:

Exquisite Whetstone x2
    Powersurge Vial
    Crit Pots
    Cupcakes

Now for the fun part... Descriptions, macros, rotations!

Rule #1: Don't let your pet decide what attacks it should be using in what order. Your pet is dumb. You tell the pet what attacks it should use in what order. You do this through macros so you don't even have to worry about it.

Rule #2: Don't let your pet decide when it should get in and out. Your pet is dumb. You shall have a macro for making your pet stop attacking when you are ready for it to stop attacking. Through a nifty macro I will show you, you hardly have to think about it.

Rule #3: Your pet is dumb. You must be smart. You are the owner of the pet, you take charge of and responsibility for your pet.

The essence of this build is to spam melee attacks in the proper rotation and to use Deadly Strike to increase their damage. Easy, simple. It has decent ranged damage (since you pick up Bladedancer instead of picking up Marksman, it's not amazing damage, but when you have to joust out, it is still pretty decent) and excellent melee damage. Through macros, you don't even have to use different buttons to use ranged attacks. As you joust out of melee range, you just keep spamming the same button you would if you were in melee range.

Now for the macros you will want:

Macro 1
    #show Backstab
    suppressmacrofailures
    petdefensive
    cast Weapon Barrage
    cast Backstab
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Yes, it's a long macro. But it does several things for you:
    Your pet goes back on defensive (aggressive makes him start attacking stuff you aren't ready to pull yet) to start attacking the mob if you had to use passive toggle. Secondly, it takes the thought out of waiting on Backstab cooldown, or on having to be in a rear position (heh) to use it. Your other single combo point attacks will trigger until you're in the rear position (heh). It also forces your pet to use the right attacks in the right order for maximum dps, as well as using ranged attacks if you need to joust out.

Macro 2 is optional. You can be lazy and use macro 2 or you can be productive and use macro 3 and 4.

#show Precision Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Weapon Barrage
    petdefensive
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Puncture
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

This puts both of your 2 point combo builders in one macro. The reason I don't like it is... you have to put Puncture on your bar anyway to see when cooldown is up. And, you have to pause a brief moment to let energy build up to use either of these, so if you aren't at minimum range it's just going to use a Quick Shot.

Macro 3 and 4 (my choices)
    #show Puncture
    suppressmacrofailures
    petdefensive
    cast Weapon Barrage
    cast Puncture
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

#show Precision Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    petdefensive
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Keen Strike
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Button 5 is your Deadly Strike. You can macro this up if you want for that brief moment of ensuring your pet does everything correctly, but I think you'll be okay.

Button 6 is Headshot macro... You will want to use this for the 5% damage increase for 60 seconds.

#show Head Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petdefensive
    cast Head Shot
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Button 6
    petpassive
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

This is for jousting. You get your pet out of aoe range, so he doesn't die. You also continue spamming attacks and building up combo points.

Now for the AOE DPS buttons and Ranged attack buttons...

If you have to be at ranged, use:

Shadow Fire (35% damage increase for ranged attacks)

#show Quick Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petdefensive
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

And your Head Shot macro.

Now for AOE...

If you have Two Targets, use Twin Strike. If you have 3 or more use ranged attacks. For this, macro up your Trick Shot as such...

#show Trick Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petdefensive
    cast Trick Shot
    cast Twin Strike
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash

Use Concussive Blast once you have 5 combo points. If you have more than 4 enemies, use Rain of Arrows. For either of these, make sure you have the Shadow Fire buff running, and if possible, before Rain of Arrows get Deadly Strike up (it applies to every single arrow that hits the ground for Rain of Arrows and doesn't use up it's charges.)

So your rotation is...

Backstab Macro, Backstab Macro, Backstab Macro, Puncture Macro, Deadly Strike
    Precision Strike Macro, Precision Strike Macro, BS, BS, Head Shot (for the 5% buff)
    Rinse and repeat, renewing the Head Shot macro every 60s. Use Deadly Strike as your finisher every time.

If you have to go out or melee range, use your PetPassive macro to continue spamming Quick Shots and get your pet the hell out of dodge.

Seems like a long post to tell you how to use such an easy rotation/build, but I like to go into a lot of detail.

Parse on Oracle in GSB, 1313
    1312 on Oracle
    Last edited by Vydar; 05-27-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Soulwalker

Sorry, forgot to add the "petattack" line into the macros for changing pet target.

I actually like the sound of this build a lot. A couple questions though, why 1 point in Endure instead of maxing out Imp Quick Shot, and how gear dependent would you say this build is?

Soulwalker

With a 66% chance of putting a bleed on, I'd rather spend the point elsewhere for a build that is primarily going to be in melee range. That's just me, those couple of points in Ranger are kinda optional.

All builds are "gear dependent" but my gear is not all that great.

With all buffs running (13% additional crit) I'm sitting at:

40.22% crit
    431 Attack Power
    207 Hit
    473 Dex

Shadowlander

That is some high dps for some seriously weak stats.

Shadowlander

I don't see where you add "petattack"

Shield of Telara

so thats 1300 dps raid buffed and the boss probably has considerable debuffs on him as well.

not knocking you hear but any idea what you get on the dummy self buffed? no tabs, stones, etc? Just out of curiosity. would like to see the parse from that.

Soulwalker

As I mentioned, I forgot to throw pet attack in there. Replace petdefensive with petattack, I was experimenting and forgot to put it back.

Last dummy parse I did with stones and a brightsurge pot was right around 1k, take into consideration my meh gear.

+ Reply to Thread