+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapons and Speed

Default Weapons and Speed

Is it always slower = better when 2 weapons of the same dps are compared? I know abilities use "weapon damage" is that just my mainhand or does offhand effect that as well? Is there any mechanic in place that helps even out the effectiveness between fast and slow weapons?

Bladestalker does attacks with offhand as well as mainhand, so would double slow weapons be superior even when poisons are involved?

Couldn't find anything on this, help would be appreciated.

It makes nearly 0 difference in Rift. Just choose the best stats / dps.

This only really matters if auto-attacks are a significant portion of your dps.

Sword of Telara

faster speeds = more weapon procs.
    crits do 1.5 or 1.7 times the MAXIMUM damage of the weapon.

but higher DPS overall is by far the best choice. if you have 2 enhancements/poisons though then usually the faster weapon is the better choice.

Ascendant

Faster is better when they are equal DPS, but DPS trumps speed easily.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Soulwalker

I came here looking for this so I just want to be clear on what has been posted

1. Weapon speed doesn't matter when a skill is "weapon damage +XX damage"
    - Is this because all 1 hand weapons have been normalised?

2. Faster speed = more weapon procs
    - Is this because there is no limit on weapon procs? ie. no max procs per minute.

Also how do auto attacks work. Are they continuous and independent of specials like wow or are they interrupted like in lotro?

DPs is more important then speed, but given the choice between 2 equal dps, you want the faster one. More HFB procs, more serated blades uptime, more poison procs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Soulwalker

thanks for reading, do you know the answers to the 3 specific questions?

RIFT Guide Writer VampiricDemise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nametry111 View Post
    thanks for reading, do you know the answers to the 3 specific questions?
    All the questions were answered with the posts above.

Speed does not matter for attacks that go "weapon damage + xxx damage", only the top end damage will change that.

Speed of the weapon will play a factor for weapon procs with the enchantments. I am not certain if there has been testing done for the damage procs but I don't believe there is a cap for weapon procs. It would be more of your choice whether a faster weapon is more worth it for procs or a higher top end for the weapon damage abilities.

But in the end for raiding, you'll more than likely be rocking daggers since they are more widely available over axes and swords and tanking maces. Especially since the relic loot for melee rogues are daggers.
    Khatha . Cleric . Guardian . Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by VampiricDemise View Post
    Speed does not matter for attacks that go "weapon damage + xxx damage", only the top end damage will change that.
    Well I think that's his question about the normailzation (at least mine). Slower weapons of the same dps have a much higher top end damage (150% more at my level), so wouldn't that mean that the slower weapons would hit much harder?

Sorry for the WoW reference, but I think of it this way. A Combat Rogue would always use the slowest weapon available because the top end damage is so important when using Sinister Strike (weapon damage + X).
    Considering the Rogue class of Rift has weapon damage + X tied to almost every single one of their abilities, even the finishers, I would just naturally assume that top end damage was even more important in this game for the Rogue class.
    Do the poisons make up for such a huge difference, or is there some other mechanic at work that makes faster the better choice?
    Last edited by Bobjohnson; 05-27-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Yes, the "normalization", it makes all the abilities rely on the dps of the weapon rather then the speed, a 25dps dagger will make your keen strike or whatever hit for the exact same amount as a 25dps axe, the dagger however will proc more poisions or weapon enchants cause it is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
    Yes, the "normalization", it makes all the abilities rely on the dps of the weapon rather then the speed, a 25dps dagger will make your keen strike or whatever hit for the exact same amount as a 25dps axe, the dagger however will proc more poisions or weapon enchants cause it is faster.
    Ok. Thank you for the clarification.

Soulwalker

Thanks for help

+ Reply to Thread