+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interested in PvP Ranger

Default Interested in PvP Ranger

Title says it all. I'm level 42, and have been playing sin since launch. Gettin bored and want to try a Ranger. Any good PvP Ranger specs? I don't want a pet though.... So would MM be better?
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

To be honest....I really dont have a good answer for you. Im at lvl 47 so havent hit 50 yet. But under lvl 50 with a ranger spec set to the one sozou(love the spec sozou!!!, even the older one). Which is really more pve/raid set i guess. But I spent all day yestarday in WF's with him, usin the same macros and rotations id use in a pve/dungeon environment. Now I gotta say... I got my butt handed to me by sneaky rogues workin together or rogue/warrior sets. Got nuked by mages and such. But no more than I did as set to my pvp specced sabo.

Actually topped charts in damage/killing blows/valor points many times. And Im really not all that great. We either had a great PUG group that I wished I rolled with more often. Or they would pay me little attention till it was too late and I was rolllin em out hard.

I will say this tho....the whole day out...I used the raptor and he did well. And I kept the raptor near me. Meaning...he attacked all that I attacked. But if they ran off and my job was to stand back...then i called him back. many a times I got jumped alone by a sneaky rogue and if my pet wasnt there, I would have died, instead, Id get the rogue down before me.

So, If one was to set a ranger up with say...those abilities to knock a baddie away from you or such...Im sure it would be viable too. Really in all honesty... I wanted to see how my pve spec would do in a pvp enviornment. 300k exp points later and I still hadnt switched back to my sabo.

Oh, sorry got carried away...Didnt see you didnt want a pet....then ya, higher up the marksman tree you'd want to be. seen alot of those out there too. From what I could see they did well.
    Last edited by FloridaOkie; 05-27-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Champion of Telara

Ranger is mostly for PvE these days.

They nerfed it pretty hard for PvP play last patch by lowering the base damage of the abilities and then giving them shadow fire to buff them back up(with a little extra). So in PvP you will constantly have to stop your damage to get the 50 energy for the shadow fire, and then spend 2.0 cast just to get the shadow fire buff for 20 seconds.

Not a big deal in PvE as your energy use is more about overtime, but big deal in PvP where it's all about timing and bursting.

Also, you would take a huge nerf by not using a pet. The pet gets buffed, does a decent portion of the ranger damage, and in return the pet also buffs you making you hit harder as well.

You might as well go marksman. Maybe they will fix the ranger again for PvP soon.

Soulwalker

if you don't want a pet, why bother with ranger? there are almost no pvp benefits from the ranger tree at all. go marksman, you get eradicate (an OP purge), a silence on a 15 second CD, a sprint every 30 seconds, two knock back abilities (crossfire and repelling shot) and a heap of other survivability abilities. I play a 44MM/22SIN spec where i get permanent stealth, 2 poisons (yay free buffs) and all that i just listed above. give it a shot, great fun if you're any good at PvP.

hope that helps

Soulwalker

btw, i stole my spec off Terk... check this thread out:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...VP-1.2-Edition!

Sozu's build is pretty good for both PVE and PVP, I really enjoyed it since starting to use it few days ago.

The ranger dps/burst is just fine, but pets are squishy and you loose alot of mobility.
    Not to mention Eradicate and Deaden.

Simply put, MM/SIN has better synergy and you can change your 3rd soul as it pleases you without hassel.
    Example: Inf has a "pvp trinket" and Sab has AOE slow in their 0pt souls.
    "The universe is a machine where you have been placed, and like a machine the outcome can be known. Every battle has already been won or lost. All that is left is for you to choose your side."

+ Reply to Thread