+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No NB experience, help with build is appreciated

Shadowlander

Default No NB experience, help with build is appreciated

http://http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0ARft0bodbk.x

I'm either a MM/ranger or full 51 point sin. So this is my first shot at an NB build. I gather that I'm going to use a lot of NB abilities instead of sin due to the elemental damage. This is for PVP btw. Thanks.
    Last edited by Beefstu; 05-27-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefstu View Post
    http://http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0ARft0bodbk.x

I'm either a MM/ranger or full 51 point sin. So this is my first shot at an NB build. I gather that I'm going to use a lot of NB abilities instead of sin due to the elemental damage. This is for PVP btw. Thanks.
    first, drop 3 points from infiltrator and 32 in nb for fell blades. it is one of two reasons to take nb, the other is scourge of darkness. other than this you can mostly use assassin abilities as if you were still 51pt. i personally run 33sin/33nb/0rng i dont need a break free so i ignore infiltrator, ranger 0 gives me quick shot and head shot making it impossible to kite me or run away.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Disciple

Query for you, can you give me some insight to your normal NB strategy, like what you make take priority?

I presume SoD is the first finisher you pop on people when they have high health? Next is Impale? Then Final Blow?

Also, with being kited, do you have flame thrust and head shot on the same macro, (i.e cast flame thrust, cast head shot) or do you not use the former?

Same with quick shot and fiery spike? I presume within 20 meters fiery spike would take priority? But if they are outside of 20 meters, then quick shot? Or do you not bother with fiery spike in pvp?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    first, drop 3 points from infiltrator and 32 in nb for fell blades. it is one of two reasons to take nb, the other is scourge of darkness. other than this you can mostly use assassin abilities as if you were still 51pt. i personally run 33sin/33nb/0rng i dont need a break free so i ignore infiltrator, ranger 0 gives me quick shot and head shot making it impossible to kite me or run away.
    Hi Jokonoso, is the 33/33 build something like this? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dbR.VhtRMogoos

In this case your anytime combo melee builder after landing 3 fiery strikes from range if you opened up with dark malady would be savage strike right? And, I would think blazing strike would be used ahead of final blow if you wanted to land a non-dot finisher because blazing strike is less mitigated by armor with the fire damage (even though murderous intent doesn't help here), correct? In stealth up close you'd probably most of the time open up with jagged strike, followed by a puncture or dusk strike, then finish with an SoD or impale, right?

Just trying to understand rotations (or common ones).

Really is an interesting build because I believe it has everything I'm looking for except the following cons:

1. No silence or spell interrupt other than blind, dark containment, or foul play. I'm just used to the interrupt from bladedancer, but at least we have 3 options.
    2. No real damage mitigation against melee - again used to side step. The key here is to kite with twilight or land a foul play I guess when times get rough?

I can't imagine landing stuff like backstabs and assassinates with SoD up - sounds really cool. And, wow, I love the heal debuff and the fact we get two 31 point skills - Dusk to Dawn is cool and slip away is really nice. With this spec you most likely run hellblades and fellblades for your main PvP buffs right? Do you find yourself opening with dark malady ever or do you really try and get in melee range to open with a sin one because of the crit chance and damage bonuses? Dark Malady has a great damage buff too so I wonder if you try and get up close and personal to open in _most_ cases? Or is it when you need to burst you do it and when you can sit back on melee you open with malady?

Rift Disciple

So..ive tried this spec today..

Well something similar:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ddR.qhtRGoMRos

love it

While you arnt mobile, i dont feel you really have to be. Your dangerous at any range (vs assassins), and you do incredible damage (although it is not as burtsy as assassins). Most of it is either bleeds, fire or death damage to boot, so you can ignore a large amount of mitigation. SoD with melee has been fantastic, i can apply it all in a few blinks and as a finisher it does insano damage (by my cals its between 2K and 4K every time I use it, since the SoD procs seem to crit and get full benefits of crit. Its an average of about 3.2K).

You can Dusk to Dawn people running away or that you dont want to come closer to you (nice for when a warrior is about to charge you and your blinds are off CD!).

Because you can work at a variety of ranges, i feel it works better than MM (whom get focused fire these days), or more 'pure' assassins. Unlike Assassin/BD builds I'm not worried about NOT using abilities as they come off CD, because i need deadly dance. Its let me macro everything to one button with some exceptions. You have final blow(is blazing strike better? i dont think so?), flame thrust and head shot all as available finishers at various ranges, so easy to macro.

Nice stuff. The healing debuff is amazing ^_^

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidar View Post
    Hi Jokonoso, is the 33/33 build something like this? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dbR.VhtRMogoos

In this case your anytime combo melee builder after landing 3 fiery strikes from range if you opened up with dark malady would be savage strike right? And, I would think blazing strike would be used ahead of final blow if you wanted to land a non-dot finisher because blazing strike is less mitigated by armor with the fire damage (even though murderous intent doesn't help here), correct? In stealth up close you'd probably most of the time open up with jagged strike, followed by a puncture or dusk strike, then finish with an SoD or impale, right?

Just trying to understand rotations (or common ones).

Really is an interesting build because I believe it has everything I'm looking for except the following cons:

1. No silence or spell interrupt other than blind, dark containment, or foul play. I'm just used to the interrupt from bladedancer, but at least we have 3 options.
    2. No real damage mitigation against melee - again used to side step. The key here is to kite with twilight or land a foul play I guess when times get rough?

I can't imagine landing stuff like backstabs and assassinates with SoD up - sounds really cool. And, wow, I love the heal debuff and the fact we get two 31 point skills - Dusk to Dawn is cool and slip away is really nice. With this spec you most likely run hellblades and fellblades for your main PvP buffs right? Do you find yourself opening with dark malady ever or do you really try and get in melee range to open with a sin one because of the crit chance and damage bonuses? Dark Malady has a great damage buff too so I wonder if you try and get up close and personal to open in _most_ cases? Or is it when you need to burst you do it and when you can sit back on melee you open with malady?
    You should probably open, in general, with jagged strike. Assassin gives you a talent that makes you gain a 15% damage buff and 15% damage received reduction for 10 seconds after using it. At this point, as long as getting close to the target is not suicide, jagged strike/paralyzing strike/assassinate are superior. You also get 3 combo points with it (again, from assassin).

Idea on most targets with high HP, jagged, dusk, SoD(impale if on CD)(5 combo), Puncture, Backstab, savage, savage, impale(final blow if SoD was on Cd)(5 combo), etc

Quote Originally Posted by Duske View Post
    So..ive tried this spec today..

Well something similar:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ddR.qhtRGoMRos

love it

While you arnt mobile, i dont feel you really have to be. Your dangerous at any range (vs assassins), and you do incredible damage (although it is not as burtsy as assassins). Most of it is either bleeds, fire or death damage to boot, so you can ignore a large amount of mitigation. SoD with melee has been fantastic, i can apply it all in a few blinks and as a finisher it does insano damage (by my cals its between 2K and 4K every time I use it, since the SoD procs seem to crit and get full benefits of crit. Its an average of about 3.2K).

You can Dusk to Dawn people running away or that you dont want to come closer to you (nice for when a warrior is about to charge you and your blinds are off CD!).

Because you can work at a variety of ranges, i feel it works better than MM (whom get focused fire these days), or more 'pure' assassins. Unlike Assassin/BD builds I'm not worried about NOT using abilities as they come off CD, because i need deadly dance. Its let me macro everything to one button with some exceptions. You have final blow(is blazing strike better? i dont think so?), flame thrust and head shot all as available finishers at various ranges, so easy to macro.

Nice stuff. The healing debuff is amazing ^_^
    I think blazing strike is better unless you spec for the +15% damage on final blow - even then against plate wearers blazing strike is great because it's mostly fire damage! I'm going to use that in melee until I level up to get impale (level 41 currently).

Rift Disciple

Its kinda hard to say, so lets do an analysis!

Final Blow: 488 base damage
    Blazing Strike: 379 base damage

Both receive 15% to finisher damage, 5% bonus (melted skin), 10% cruel vengeance, etc

So looking at physical vs non physical only modifiers

murderous intent: 4%
    physical trauma: 8%

vs

unstable state: 9 %
    heat retention: i dont believe your finishers get the 'increased non physical damage' buff here? I think they just get the flat 30% increase

so 12% vs 9%, not a huge difference, but you also have about 100 base damage. So yeah, it does depend on the defenders armor a bit I suppose. Now as a rogue, i have 27% ish armor mitigation with my crap gear. If we apply that to final blow....that hurts. Since clerics have even more armor and they are our highest prized targets, I guess blazing strike all the way.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the input. If Fell Blades is so important, why not go 2/2 Enhanced Weapon Enchantment? Is there just not enough room?

Quote Originally Posted by Duske View Post
    Its kinda hard to say, so lets do an analysis!

Final Blow: 488 base damage
    Blazing Strike: 379 base damage

Both receive 15% to finisher damage, 5% bonus (melted skin), 10% cruel vengeance, etc

So looking at physical vs non physical only modifiers

murderous intent: 4%
    physical trauma: 8%

vs

unstable state: 9 %
    heat retention: i dont believe your finishers get the 'increased non physical damage' buff here? I think they just get the flat 30% increase

so 12% vs 9%, not a huge difference, but you also have about 100 base damage. So yeah, it does depend on the defenders armor a bit I suppose. Now as a rogue, i have 27% ish armor mitigation with my crap gear. If we apply that to final blow....that hurts. Since clerics have even more armor and they are our highest prized targets, I guess blazing strike all the way.
    Remember that if you have the points in it, Blazing Strike also adds a stack or refreshes stacks of Fiery Spike.

+ Reply to Thread