+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranged Battle Bard

Default Ranged Battle Bard

In yet another spec throw-together while at work, I've put together what I think could be a decent ranged battle bard. Yes, it lacks the points in Sin for the boosted crit chance, damage on crit, and boosted crit damage and heal. What it makes up for it is with 15% bonus to CP dmg, 9% non-physical for cadence heals, 5% dmg from Hellfire procs, higher dmg from Cadence since it's using bow damage instead of melee, 15% chance to proc Master Marksman, crits will boost AP by 25%, and the pedestal for another 10% ranged damage, boosting Cadence even more.

I enjoy the melee battle bard, but I know a lot of fights are very unfriendly to melee, so why not give a ranged battle bard a shot. So, without further rambling, I give you the ranged battle bard.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...cbVikskVz.VhbM

Telaran

It's definitely worth trying out. You should do some testing and let us know how you perform. I've got a feeling that some sort of ranger hybrid may end up being the best ranged battle bard but I'd rather not end up with a pet.

You might also want to take a look at my mid-ranged battle bard build if you're ok being limited to 20m. You can even close to melee with it and get a decent DPS boost when you don't need to be in range. Using power chord to speed up rotations and lingering flame to maintain fiery spike was fairly effective for me.

Whenever I get some time, I'm going to be testing some melee builds to see how they compare with that mid-range / melee hybrid I've been using. A lot of people have been talking about the Blade Dancer builds with deadly dance but I'm not sure that it's worth giving up the ranged capabilities.

I used to play around with a spec like this.

It's a lot of fun switching between support heals and higher-than-negligible DPS as needed.
    It also makes a really good solo questing spec.

Shield of Telara

looks good for 5 man content. I'll take the extra heal and buffs for raiding that a minimum of 44 pts gets me though. (personally prefer to have VoJ, dont really care peoples opinions on it my guild likes to see it go off lol). Currently I just run 1 bard spec though I feel like having more than one would make me want to punch myself in the crotch.

cosign 2Tib, I ran a good amount of bard/dps souls or bd/rift/bard while leveling and both those were greatly beneficial to speedy leveling.
    Last edited by BlackZilla; 05-26-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tib View Post

It's a lot of fun switching between support heals and higher-than-negligible DPS as needed.
    My spec is very similar to this but with Nightblade for the Conceal. It's really enjoyable and I love having a pet.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tib View Post

I've played around a little with building a ranger spec and if I were to try one, I think it would be this: 40 Bard / 26 Ranger.

The reasons for the changes:
    1. I'm a fan of anything that lets you pull off finishers faster, so opportunity was added.
    2. If you've already got 24 in ranger and can spare 2 more points, I think Feral Instincts and Hasten Call are probably worth getting.
    3. 40 points in Bard gets you a nice buff for mages and clerics. The stats scale better for them than they do with rogues/warriors and you can run both fanfares at once with LOS. If you don't care about that, stop at 32 and add 8 to Sin or NB. However, 40 points also allows for...
    4. The AoE rotation could be improved by adding Coda of Fury & Deafening music since your only AoE finisher in ranger is on a 30 second cooldown. Combining the combo point generation of improved trickshot with the no-cooldown AoE finisher from bard could have nice results.
    5. You get a 0-point skill that you can change as you want. Try adding fiery spike from NB or the poison from Sin for improved DPS or go with Sab for the AoE snare.

Telaran

I use 34 Bard / 32 Ranger for my "DPS Bard" spec. Gives motifs/anthem plus decent DPS while still having emergency healing if needed. I like 32 ranger better than 32 mm when combined with Bard, but your spec is very interesting since I hate using pets. Also gives incapacitate too which is nice for dungeons.

I think I might try a modified version of your suggestion with only 32 Bard since I have a full bard spec I can switch to for rez.

I pull over 600 dps on stand still fights with my melee bard while keeping the motifs up, but typically 300-400 still on fights with heavy cadence/coda of resto spamming. Still at work, but I definately plan on respeccing my melee bard into this ranged spec tonight to try out. VoJ is great, I don't think anyone will argue against that, but I don't see how it could possibly be considered the end all, be all of bards. It totals 750 mana back over 15 seconds. Sure, that's good, but if it's really needed, I'd have to take a look at the rest of the guild first.

Battle Bard is just a way to take the support class, keep virtually all of it's support, and yet still make it fun to play since you won't be mind-numbingly just mashing motifs and cadence for the entire duration of a fight, with every fight, ever, period. Period.

Marksman's Pedestal does not affect Cadence damage.

This might be fun for experts but it has no place in raids.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Calysto View Post
    VoJ is great, I don't think anyone will argue against that, but I don't see how it could possibly be considered the end all, be all of bards. It totals 750 mana back over 15 seconds. Sure, that's good, but if it's really needed, I'd have to take a look at the rest of the guild first.
    I know rogues LOVE VoJ. Rogues are extremely energy starved. Its certainly most useful in a raid situation.

+ Reply to Thread