+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin Rogues and Poisons

Shadowlander

Default Assassin Rogues and Poisons

I see a lot of assassin rogue builds that do not seem to put many points into the poison skills, so I did a little math to see what it would do.

The first skill that you come to is Poison Potency, which is a 3-point skill that increases the damage of your poisons by 5/10/15%.

Let's first imagine that you are going to attack 100 times, and that you are using Leeching Poison and Lethal Poison, which both are doing 25 points of damage.

Out of 100 attacks, both poisons will hit 20 times, for a total of 40 times. They are both doing 25 damage, so 40 times 25 is 1,000. Your poisons would have done approximately 1,000 points of damage for this imaginary fight.

Now, let's put 1 point into Poison Potency. Now, instead of doing 25 damage, they are doing 26.25. So, if we multiply 26.25 by 40, we now get 1,050 points of damage. That doesn't really seem like much. You're increasing a rather low number by such a small amount.

Now, on to Poison Mastery, which increases the chance that your poisons will hit by 2/4/6/8/10%. Using the previous example, we'll now be hitting 22 times with each poison, for a total of 44. 44 hits times 25 damage is 1,100. We've just increased the damage of our poisons by 10%.

We're now seeing that Poison Mastery increases damage output by 10% per point, where Poison Potency increases by 5%.

A final scenario: What if we put 8 points into these two skills?

25 damage now becomes 28.75, and 20 hits now becomes 30 hits (or 60 with two poisons). 28.75 times 60 is 1,725 points of damage, or 72.5% more damage from your poisons than without these two skills.

However, now we're left with the final question: Would points spent elsewhere increase your DPS more efficiently? Or, what is a point worth in terms of DPS?

Plane Touched

Well... I can only think 3 things about taking the poison talents:

1) Those points are generally better spent elsewhere.
    2) A lot of builds only go Assassin for the +Crit and +Crit Damage passives so don't pick them up.
    3) 51 point builds take them.

It seems that you're also leaving out the inherent utility functions of some of the Assassin poisons though... Your math is sound, but you gloss over the fact that a few of the poison options are useful for the effects they provide, and not simply the damage they put out.

Leeching and Debilitating poison together for example can drastically turn the tide of a one on one fight if you spend the 8 points to get the higher damage (which I am assuming also transfers into amount healed by leeching poison's effect) as well as the amount of times that they will actually proc.

Virulent and Lethal poisons are pretty much just straight up damage (lethal has a slight debuff added).
    Jharyn - Cleric - Druishamsticar! / Inquisicabanel!
    Member of the Brotherhood of the Dawn
    Faeblight Roleplayer

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    3) 51 point builds take them.
    ...well, not sure this is a good endorsement. 51 point builds have to take everything, right?

Shadowlander

Unless going for 51 sin, skip all the poison talents. They are not worth the 8 points.

Champion of Telara

The poision I basically never use is the one that is damage only. I use deliberating, cloudy, and the +5% crit the most, except in solo PvE I'll grab some leeching.

All those I grab more for the effects than I do for the damage. And when it comes to abilities that proc over time, it's almost never a good idea to fill up those talents.

For example in the ranger tree you have the 3 point talent to make the target bleed. Well 2 points is all you would want to go in that as long as you are spamming quick shot, because @ 66% chance to proc, it would only take 2 shots to make it go off normally. So even though 100% is technically better, you're wasting a point because it can be spent elsewhere.

Same for the NB talent for hellblades. 1 pt in that is 50% and that is pretty much plenty because the buff it gives will be going off.

For a 10 second effect, 50% is plenty of proc chance.

Extra damage is always nice, but it's a matter of what you are getting for the points. You can get alot more putting the points elsewhere. Basically the only reason people go about 32 assassin is for cloudy gas, deliberating poison and serpent strike, not because they want better poisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Saigne View Post
    However, now we're left with the final question: Would points spent elsewhere increase your DPS more efficiently? Or, what is a point worth in terms of DPS?
    It's not really a mystery. The game has been out for months. Your math was done way back in beta. You don't see builds with the poison talents because they aren't worth it.

Rift Chaser

If you are a Sab and dont take 20 in assassin tree (including 3/3) poison potency, you are doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

very true, for Sab builds 3/3 poison buff is really nice. I run 20 Sin / 46 Sab / 0 Rgr and I do Great dps in both PvE and War Front's..

+ Reply to Thread