+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Terrible PvP

  1. #1
    Telaran Dilvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default Terrible PvP

    Hey guys,

    Looking for some help here, I leveled an alt rogue and so far I'm level 41. I'm really enjoying playing support for dungeons etc but decided to play a little bit of tick with my swords and the guardians . Lets just say I failed misserably.

    I was in this spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ftsrRz0o.V.V0x aiming for 51 sin. I picked on a few casters and it seems that I was basically doing hardly any damage to them at all. In Steppes I found a few players the same level and again, hardly any damage. I'm in mainly blues max 3 levels below my level, my swords are pretty much the highest DPS you can get at this level.

    Just not sure where to go from this? Is the aim of the rogue to basically stun lock people or burst them down? Any help on rotations?? I basically PvE'd this char to 41 and done it in Ranger/Bard so no sin experience

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I'm in a similar boat to Dilvid, although I wouldn;t go as far as to say I'm terrible - more just needing a little bit of guidance when it comes to dealing with different classes.
    - Level 50 Guardian Rogue -

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Radamanthys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    481

    Cool

    No no!
    Rogues are OP.
    Stealth is OP.
    Eradicate is OP.
    You should kill everyone with just a deadly gaze...

    Of corse you don't do much dmg!You are rogue, not mage

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Misterjingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dilvid View Post
    Hey guys,

    Looking for some help here, I leveled an alt rogue and so far I'm level 41. I'm really enjoying playing support for dungeons etc but decided to play a little bit of tick with my swords and the guardians . Lets just say I failed misserably.

    I was in this spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ftsrRz0o.V.V0x aiming for 51 sin. I picked on a few casters and it seems that I was basically doing hardly any damage to them at all. In Steppes I found a few players the same level and again, hardly any damage. I'm in mainly blues max 3 levels below my level, my swords are pretty much the highest DPS you can get at this level.

    Just not sure where to go from this? Is the aim of the rogue to basically stun lock people or burst them down? Any help on rotations?? I basically PvE'd this char to 41 and done it in Ranger/Bard so no sin experience
    You have to pick your targets and LOOK at what buffs they currently have up.

    Certain buffs, or lots of HoTs on the target usually mean its a waste of your time, so choose another target.
    Playtime - p4x Guardian Rogue - Bloodiron
    Sma - p4x Guardian Mage - Bloodiron

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara xaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dilvid View Post
    Hey guys,

    Looking for some help here, I leveled an alt rogue and so far I'm level 41. I'm really enjoying playing support for dungeons etc but decided to play a little bit of tick with my swords and the guardians . Lets just say I failed misserably.

    I was in this spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ftsrRz0o.V.V0x aiming for 51 sin. I picked on a few casters and it seems that I was basically doing hardly any damage to them at all. In Steppes I found a few players the same level and again, hardly any damage. I'm in mainly blues max 3 levels below my level, my swords are pretty much the highest DPS you can get at this level.

    Just not sure where to go from this? Is the aim of the rogue to basically stun lock people or burst them down? Any help on rotations?? I basically PvE'd this char to 41 and done it in Ranger/Bard so no sin experience
    I'd scrap the 15% AP from RS if you're looking to PvP and invest it elsewhere, just a general suggestion based on the build you have atm, here's how i'd spend your extra 15 points.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0Mbi_..V0tMM
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Avandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dilvid View Post
    Any help on rotations?? I basically PvE'd this char to 41 and done it in Ranger/Bard so no sin experience
    Its PvP, you can't depend on rotations since its all very situational and fast paced.

    "Eradicating your buffs since May 11th 2011"

  7. #7
    Telaran Dilvid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avandor View Post
    Its PvP, you can't depend on rotations since its all very situational and fast paced.
    True, but I would presume that most players have a prefered rotation for the 5 seconds of a fight which they instagate.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    280

    Default

    If you play Assassin you need to act like one, you need to be patient, pick your moment (the most unfair possible) only engage a second target out of stealth if the conditions allow for it (sufficent support, or you can take them yourself without getting caught by another player) and never over extend yourself, know when to leave and stealth or use slip away.

    If you wanna be flexible and mostly charge around attacking from range and getting stuck in with melee and have some survivability thrown in for group engagements then play a Nightblade or a Bladedancer.

    Yes you can do well in some fights as a pure Assassin and move from target to target but its situational and in general you're better off having the right spec for the mindset you want to fight with.

    Get a Marksman spec too, sometimes warfronts become ranged heavy and you can either join in and shoot back with 35m range or go Assassin go patient, sneaky, unfair and wait for your moment.

  9. #9
    Champion of Telara xeshaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    put two points in subterfuge, that will guarantee 3 combo points on your opener.

    Pick a target, open with Jagged strike/Puncture/Impale. You now have 2 heavy dots on them.
    Use Hidden veil, open with Paralyzing strike/backstab/savage strike, and finish with a final blow. They should be pretty much dead by then.

    That's just one way to do it. You can try that in reverse if you like. Or mix in other things. If you don't have hidden veil up, then use your stun and savage strikes to build up combo points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Effi View Post
    I have seen the desecrations they have done, the murders they have wrought, and it can be no sin to be the hand of justice.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeshaka View Post
    put two points in subterfuge, that will guarantee 3 combo points on your opener.

    Pick a target, open with Jagged strike/Puncture/Impale. You now have 2 heavy dots on them.
    Use Hidden veil, open with Paralyzing strike/backstab/savage strike, and finish with a final blow. They should be pretty much dead by then.

    That's just one way to do it. You can try that in reverse if you like. Or mix in other things. If you don't have hidden veil up, then use your stun and savage strikes to build up combo points.

    This is a good way to start, what i suggest you do is look into macroing. I know some people think its cheating, but it made my life easier. I macroed my main attacks to one key, sometimes two keys if i felt like i was being too fat and lazy.

    The key setup was something like this:

    #show Savage Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast serpent strike (i was 51 sin for awhile)
    cast backstab
    cast etc etc etc.

    this way you only have to press one button for your stiuations, and your main attack. This helps in one of two ways:

    1. reduces the number of keys you have on your hotbar, so you can put other abilities/useable items on your bar

    and

    2. automatically uses your situational attack when you're running around/dancing in pvp.


    With that being said, i was 51 sin rest inf for awhile, but i switched to 34 nb 32 sin and i'm LOVING it. Pound for pound the most dangerous combination i've played, yet.

  11. #11
    Telaran Jazzh0le's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68

    Default

    You're missing almost all the talents to buff your openers, you need to respec and pick those up then follow xeshaka's advice on rotations and you should be good.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tobodbR.VbdAzo

    Is what I would roll with at your level, Deadly Dance is really good. When you hit 42 get Flash of Steel.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple Seriisbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    180

    Default

    I run this currently at 42, picking target cautiously
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ftsrRz0o.V.V0x
    DerpStrike: Seriisbad (Rogue) Seriismad (Mage)
    Dark Age of Camelot: Retired after 10 years
    RR10 Bard / RR9 Warden / RR9 NS / RR10 Enchanter / RR11 Theurg
    Final Fantasy 11 Online - Retired after 7 years
    www.bringvictory.com

  13. #13
    Champion of Telara Hethroin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Running this and have been something like it sense mid 30s. There is absolutely no caution to the targets I'm picking. Yes sometimes warlocks with cooldowns will kill me, that I'm not expecting to change much at 50.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

  14. #14
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Use something like this instead. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...tofodbR..V0xkh

    If you are spamming savage strike, you are doing it wrong, so I removed those points. Poison talents are worthless in the grand scheme of things compared to buffing your opening damage and final blow damage. In nb, you have melted skin for 5% more damage, 3% more damage and 15% damage reduction against two of mages main spell type damage and a ranged finisher for those times they slip just out of reach. You could possibly trade the fire and death attunement for the ranged snare talents if you wanted. You now have break free as well, which let's you not get stun locked by other rogues and such.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrower View Post
    Use something like this instead. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...tofodbR..V0xkh

    If you are spamming savage strike, you are doing it wrong, so I removed those points. Poison talents are worthless in the grand scheme of things compared to buffing your opening damage and final blow damage. In nb, you have melted skin for 5% more damage, 3% more damage and 15% damage reduction against two of mages main spell type damage and a ranged finisher for those times they slip just out of reach. You could possibly trade the fire and death attunement for the ranged snare talents if you wanted. You now have break free as well, which let's you not get stun locked by other rogues and such.
    Yeah I am using this spec more or less at 39, except I took one point in twight force rather than the melted skin. - on the basis that I'd be using debilitating poision and leeching poison and to give me a bit more ranged damage.

    The other great thing about sin/nb is you can incapciate and lost hope for two mezzed targets... NB is also very handy for the 15% reduction to fire and death given thats the damage source of almost every mage!

    The thing with sin is very rarely can you fight and beat two targets in one combat in a row. Having said that, not sure it would be balanced if you could.

    I have 0 points in infil as the 3rd soul purely for the CC break.

    Also meant to ask, is Dusk Strike better to use than Puncture? I think Puncture gains more from the Assasin damage buffs but would be grateful if someone can tell me the math!
    Last edited by Anselan; 05-26-2011 at 01:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts