+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing camera angles up/down using the keyboard?

Rift Chaser

Default Changing camera angles up/down using the keyboard?

Hi,

I made a post about this on the general forum last night, but the only reply was an unhelpful response from an immature kid, so I decided to make another post here as I feel like the rogue community is one of the most helpful groups in Rift (lots of helpful guides floating around). Also, it largely has to do with my rogue tank so I guess posting here is not inappropriate.

My question is, is there a way to configure my keyboard to change camera angles up and down? I don't see it in the keyboard config. In every other PC game I play, I use the keyboard for everything. It's very frustrating for me in this game to have to use the mouse to constantly change my camera angles up and down, especially when I'm in the middle of mashing a bunch of buttons while tanking (you Riftstalker tanks would know what I mean).

In one of Ciderhelm's videos (watch the Cyclorax part):
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Ciderhel.../3/OXfmgxm__E4

I see him adjusting the camera angles up and down without seeing his mouse cursor, so I can only assume he is not using his mouse. Maybe he is using a game pad? Regardless, my question is whether or not it is possible to adjust the camera angle up/down by using the keyboard.

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Threx View Post
    I see him adjusting the camera angles up and down without seeing his mouse cursor, so I can only assume he is not using his mouse. Maybe he is using a game pad?
    When you hold right mouse and pan it hides the cursor. I don't want to flame you but some of your points don't make sense. You already have to "button mash" so you want more buttons for camera angles? The mouse camera pan is designed so that you can do more. I guess this could be problematic if you click your skills? Do you do click?

And no, you can't do you want at this time.

Edit: Never mind. You use buttons for everything. You are very much limiting your character by not learning to use your mouse properly.
    Last edited by baph; 05-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Rift Chaser

Naw, I don't click my skills. I use the keyboard.

I can see your point when you said that I contradicted myself, but I did not. By being able to use the keyboard to move camera angles, I can keep both hands on the keyboard (where all other buttons are withing a finger's reach) instead of having to move my right hand to my mouse. See my point?

I did not know that holding the right click button hides the cursor. Good to know, thanks.

Soulwalker

hey mate, as far as i know there is no way atm, to use the keyboard to do as you ask. But, as Baph said then you really should start to practise using the mouse.
    If you have both hands on the keyboard then i can only assume you use the keyboard to turn you char, and that is detrimental for your ability to react fast, especially as a tank.

example: You are in a dungeon, and about to pull a pack of 5 mobs. So you blink in and use your aoe taunt, but 1 mob is not hit and starts running past you, directly for the healer. Now you have to keyboard turn 180 degrees, and hit tab a bunch of times in the hope that it selects the right mob (the one going for the healer) in time, and then use an ability on it. All that takes precious time, and in most cases the healer is gonna be deaded fast.
    Also in the meantime, while you are trying to get the loose mob back to you, you will be having you back turned toward the rest of the mobs you are tanking, making it impossible for you to parry and dodge, making it even more likely that either you or the healer will die.

With a mouse you can select the mob fast, and thus react faster.

Also in regards to your notion that you need both hands on the keyboard to be able to use all your abilities, then i think you have been fooled by a common misconception. Namely that you need to have all the abilities that your 3 souls provide on the bar, and this is just not the case. Now i dont play a riftstalker so i cant say for sure, but even though Riftstalker has a lot of abilities, then i refuse to believe that you cant fit most of them in on the following buttons. 1 2 3 4 - alt+ 1 2 3 4 - Q E - Alt + Q E - F1 F2 F3 F4 - ( 2 mouse buttons) with that setup even if you only use the F keys for buffs ect. then you will still have 14(16 with mouse buttons) easy to reach buttons to press.

anyway /rant over - i hope it helps you.
    GG
    //Zod

Like the previous poster stated, to get best results use your mouse to change angles it much faster than keyboard would ever be.

Also even if it was possible, keyboards have a limit as to how many buttons can be pressed at once, so that button mashing and changing of angles could be problomatic unless you have a flash Logitech keyboard.

If it's possible it will be under 'Key Binding' in the menu options (ESC).

Best of luck with this.

Edit: Have you used the 'V' button before? it changes camera angel to behind you, usefull for rift stalker in those moments where you have to be quick!.
    Last edited by GoldX18; 05-26-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Rift Chaser

Thanks for the reply, it was helpful.

I don't have all abilities on my bar, lol. I only have the ones I use. :P Since I usually play (every other game) with both hands on the keyboard, buttons are set to 1-0, Alt 1-0, and F1-F12. Sometimes Ctrl 1-0.

I don't "play a riftstalker tank." I just -started- to learn tanking. I'm usually either ranged dps or a bard, so having to nitpick my targets had never been a big concern (except when silencing specific casters) when I'd usually just AoE everything.

For tanking it seems that it will be different, and I guess I'll just have to adapt the mouse into my motor skills.

Cheers!

Edit: In other games I've played (primarily Final Fantasy XI), using the keyboard was never a problem. I could play anything from dps to healing to support to main tanking with no problems anywhere in the game. But the combat mechanics are very different in this game, so I'll have to learn mousing~
    Last edited by Threx; 05-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by GoldX18 View Post
    Edit: Have you used the 'V' button before? it changes camera angel to behind you, usefull for rift stalker in those moments where you have to be quick!.
    I have that button set to [ on my keyboard config (in other games my V is set to zoom in). I'm gonna have to find a new home for that if I'm going to sacrifice my right hand.

+ Reply to Thread