+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player Considering Rogue

Soulwalker

Default New Player Considering Rogue

Hi All,

New player here trying to get info about the bard. I'm thinking of selecting 'rogue' archetype, but I'm concerned that, even with all talent points into the bard tree, I won't be able to do decent healing.

I love the idea that I can swap talent points, and have the option to pick between a tank, healing & dps specs, but I'm wondering if picking the rogue archetype will stop me from effectively tanking and/or healing in groups. Thoughts?

Bards are a lot of fun to play, but they are NOT a main heal spec. Definetly support and aid. I play a rogue and I tank, melee & range DPS and also support heal with 4 different souls. Bards are not meant to be main healers, but they can make your main healer more potent. They are very simple to play and just require paying attention to CD's on buffs and knowing when to punch the group heal and when to hold it.
    Last edited by Keric; 05-25-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while losers post on the forum and cry to the Dev team.
    You got PWNED!

Xsi

Roll cleric. You'll enjoy the play-style far more.

Clerics also tank and DPS just fine (perhaps too well).
    Last edited by Xsi; 05-25-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    don't pick rogue fool. they suck. go cleric like he says. they can tank, heal, and dps better than rogue.
    way better. not even close. rogue just dies and dies over and over. atleast cleric can heal and live 1000 times longer

Quote Originally Posted by Anomolis View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    don't pick rogue fool. they suck. go cleric like he says. they can tank, heal, and dps better than rogue.
    way better. not even close. rogue just dies and dies over and over. atleast cleric can heal and live 1000 times longer

LOL. I don't know what rogue's you run with, but I don't die very often. But to each their own. I love playing my rogue. Never tried a cleric so it might be fun but take opinion as opinion and decide for yourself. You will find a class and role that fits you and just go with it. Wether it's cleric, rogue or mage or warrior. Each class has their ups and downs.
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while losers post on the forum and cry to the Dev team.
    You got PWNED!

Shadowlander

warrior=tank/dps (more tanking options although)
    rogue=support/dps/tank
    cleric=heals/dps/tank
    mage=heals/dps/support

pick whichever you like the most~

but honestly there is no useless class, just pick whichever you enjoy playing and have fun.
    Last edited by punkpaul; 05-25-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Sez

Play what you want to play. Remember bard is support and not a full on healer.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Default You know it's fun

Never thought I'd actually enjoy playing a bard. But it's really cool that my SAME character that I love to play a burst DPS rogue or a range DPS rogue can switch in a heart beat and try out a bard support role. Bottom line is I wouldn't play a bard SOLELY but I specced for it and tried it and it's really nice for a CHANGE of pace.

I just need to unlock another role to try the rogue tank too. Currently have a range dps marksman, a range / melee dps nightblade, and a sin/bladedancer, with the bard. Hard to give up those other three souls. So it's expensive to unlock the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Keric View Post
    Never tried a clericv
    then you can't comment

Xsi

Anomolis = funny Be one of the fools, and roll rogue like the rest of us.

But play what you want.

^^^ See other posts
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Shield of Telara

rogue is fun to play. i enjoy it. thats all i need to keep playing it. i enjoyed it leveling and i enjoy it now at endgame.

level it to 20(takes 4-6hrs at the most so not too much of a waste), play some WFs and dungeons along the way. you'll have a good idea if its something that you'll like or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomolis View Post
    then you can't comment

Hey this troll is hungry. I think I'll feed it.
    You got PWNED!

Soulwalker

If this thread hasn't devolved into a shouting match, I'll mention that the original question was whether the rogue archetype would allow me the ability jump in to a small group as healer, or if people would say "nah we want a cleric healer."

In the interests of full disclosure, I'll admit I asked the same question on the mage board, but specifically about the chloromancer as opposed to the bard. So the bard is not a healer - where as a 'mage' class could quickly flip to chloromancer and heal. On the otherhand, the rogue has a tanking spec.

I started a ranger but he hasn't gotten too high level just yet. Was wondering if a cleric or mage might be a better choice for me. I like being able to do everything, but I've learned that characters that 'can' do everything tend to do everything ****ty.

Plane Walker

Ya but MM rogues get eradicates, which can pretty much one shot anything.... Oh wait, that's pyro's and it's called fulminate. Go ahead and roll that mage, you can go heal or one shot.

+ Reply to Thread