+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So math wizards...

Plane Touched

Default So math wizards...

When people keep saying that using casted shots is a DPS loss as a Marksman I decided to try some math using the damage my attacks do as a 44 MM/22 Sin with mediocre gear to test out the damage of rotations, but I would like someone who knows a bit more about the math and mechanics to check if I'm on the right lines (Perhaps even give the math about why and one of the many mysteriously vanishing parses of it)

For the purpose of these calculations I used a 100% crit rate to avoid the damage variation (Aside from a couple of exceptions)

The skills:
    Empowered Shot = 708 damage - 1.5 second cast - 45 energy.
    Swift Shot = 429 damage 30 energy.
    Hastened Shot = 1228 damage 20 energy.
    Deadeye Shot = 1860 damage 1.5 second cast - 30 energy.
    Rapid Fire Shot = An exception! 230-280 (255 average) damage per non crit, 514 per crit I average 3 crits every time so I regard it as 2052 damage. - 20 energy.
    Lethal Poison = 45 damage
    Virulent Poison = 68 damage (More than it's tooltip, unlike Lethal... Is it scaling with a stat?)
    Master Archer = ~215 damage as an average (Don't worry about me not being exact here)

The rotations:
    5x Swift Shot > Hastened Shot = 3375 damage, 6 second chain, 170 energy used, 120 energy gained, 562.5 damage per second making it also deal 11.25 damage per point of energy lost.

5x Swift Shot > Deadeye Shot = 4005 damage, 6.5 second chain, 180 energy used, 130 energy gained, 616.2 damage per second making also deal 12.324 damage per point of energy lost.

5x Swift Shot > Rapid Fire Shot = 4197 damage, 6 second chain, 170 energy used, 120 energy gained, 699.5 damage per second making it deal 13.99 per energy point lost.

Empowered Shot > 3x Swift Shot > Hasted Shot = 3221 damage, 4.5 second chain, 155 energy used, 90 energy gained, 715.8 damage per second making it deal 11 damage per energy point lost.

Empowered Shot > 3x Swift Shot > Deadeye Shot = 3855 damage, 5 second chain, 165 energy used, 100 energy gained, 771 damage per second meaning it deals 11.9 damage per energy point lost.

Empowered Shot > 3x Swift Shot > Rapid Fire Shot = 4047 damage, 4.5 second chain, 155 energy used, 90 energy gained, 899.4 damage per second meaning it does 13.8 damage per energy point lost.

Improved Hit and Run > 3x Empowered Shot > Deadeye Shot = 3984 damage, 4 second chain, 81 energy used, 80 energy gained, 996 damage per second and per energy point lost.

So it would seem that using Empowered Shot outside of a CD increases burst damage but decreases the amount of damage you deal with your energy bar as it runs dry. Whereas Deadeye Shot > Hastened Shot for both damage done as well as damage per energy.

What I've learned from this:

I need to math up the effect of Killer Instinct and get some average crit % + damage of skills of similar specced MMs in different gear (T1 Crit/AP Focused, T2 Crit/AP Focused and T3 Crit/AP Focused) and use an average damage (Which includes crit chance) to make more accurate results.

I need to try and average out the proc damage between the rotations (Empowered shot chains have one less chance to proc)

Imp Hit + Run uses very little energy.

I need to see how effective the rotations are once energy starved, energy starved + Chloro and energy starved + Bard.
    Last edited by Taril; 05-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Plane Touched

Just realised... I'm not 22 Sin...

I'm 17 Sin/44 MM/5 Rng

Xsi

Correct - as energy reduction occurs from Archon/Bard/Earth rift items (or energy regeneration increases per time unit - just Verse of Vitality in game), Empowered Shot looks better and better. But it never exceeds a point where the damage per second per energy exceeds spamming Swift Shot (or Quick Shot) except when Hit'n'Run reduces the energy cost by 50% (and makes it instant).

It's not about Damage per Second. It's about Damage per Second per Energy. Increased Combo Points generation does not make up for the DPS per Energy unit since Finishers cost energy as well.

For most circumstances, you can use layman terms to state that you don't use Empowered Shot unless Hit'n'Run is in effect. In RIFT, you can even further dumb down the ability user experience by creating a macro of Improved Hit'n'Run tied to Empowered Shot.

EDIT: Except in extreme circumstances and the fact that Empowered Shot is learned so very early in the MM tree, Trion should have been tied all these abilities together as one cooldown.
    Last edited by Xsi; 05-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

+ Reply to Thread