+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Armor

Soulwalker

Default Armor

I love crunching numbers for stuff like this, so I've been playing around and am confused about something.

Now, this question comes in the context of Riftstalker, but extends anywhere. If a RS stacks the Dacia set and the Girdle of Shifting Shadows, they total 3485 armor. Assuming my reference is right, at 0.017% per armor point, that's 59.24% reduction. Now, when they get Guarded Steel, Guardian Phase, and Toughened Soul up that's 100% total armor increase. So doubles the reduction to 118.48%. WHAT??? With that amount of reduction, they shouldn't take any damage at all, what gives?

I can only think of one answer. Could it be armor piercing attacks?

Champion

Thats not quite right, lets have a look at my ingame stuff...

ok my tank gear gives me a total of 2964 before riftstalker boosts.

This gives me 31.32% physical mitigation, or 0.01% per armour.

If I then switch into my tank build for 20% from toughened soul, 50% from guarded steel and 40% from guarded steel I get 6224 armour (2964 x 110% = 6224, maths works out also)

this gives me 48.92% physical mitigation, or 0.008 per armour.

Armour has a diminishing return, doubling your armour is not the same as doubling your protection, considering warriors can get shields that give them my entire base armour if anyone would get 100% reduction it would be them, but I think even they can only hit around an 80% at best

Xsi

Quote Originally Posted by aluink View Post
    I love crunching numbers for stuff like this, so I've been playing around and am confused about something.

Now, this question comes in the context of Riftstalker, but extends anywhere. If a RS stacks the Dacia set and the Girdle of Shifting Shadows, they total 3485 armor. Assuming my reference is right, at 0.017% per armor point, that's 59.24% reduction. Now, when they get Guarded Steel, Guardian Phase, and Toughened Soul up that's 100% total armor increase. So doubles the reduction to 118.48%. WHAT??? With that amount of reduction, they shouldn't take any damage at all, what gives?

I can only think of one answer. Could it be armor piercing attacks?
    100% armor increase does not mean 100% mitigation increase.

Using your numbers and rough math, you'd have a 79.62% mitigation (+100% armor bonus) with doubling base armor of 3485. I have no idea if your original facts are correct though.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Shield of Telara

i can only think of one answer. its called diminishing returns. its applied to armor in pretty much every game ever or else the scenario you describe would be attainable by halfway through leveling by anyone wearing heavy armor.

Rift Chaser

It could be diminishing returns, or it could be that they don't directly stack. What this means is that a new piece of gear/ability that gives 5% mitigation isn't added directly to what you already have, but it mitigates 5% of the incoming damage that has already been reduced by your original mitigation.

Lightbulb

Here is your answer with the math and all!
    Great post TBH.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...g+return+armor

+ Reply to Thread