+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rift Stalker tank build discussion?

Soulwalker

Default Rift Stalker tank build discussion?

Okay well i mainly dps but lately there aren't that many tanks around so i kept my tank spec bought tank gear and now i'm at 115 Toughness. I'm currently 51 Riftstalker 7 bard 8 ranger.

I was wondering if this is the best spec to start out with tanking t2's. Should i switch bard and 1 point from ranger into 8 points in Blade dancer to get False blade + the dodge or wait until i'm better geared to switch from hp to dodge.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiveableactions View Post
    Okay well i mainly dps but lately there aren't that many tanks around so i kept my tank spec bought tank gear and now i'm at 115 Toughness. I'm currently 51 Riftstalker 7 bard 8 ranger.

I was wondering if this is the best spec to start out with tanking t2's. Should i switch bard and 1 point from ranger into 8 points in Blade dancer to get False blade + the dodge or wait until i'm better geared to switch from hp to dodge.
    Personally, I'd go for the dodge, not only that but strikeback is free aoe threat.

5% hp at 10000 hp (which by all nots is 'average')

is 500 hp.

guessing you are talking hp you are closer to the 8000 bracket -- 5% is 400, 10% is 800.

That's one hit, which isn't bad, but 8 points in bd nets you 10% dodge, 10% chance to avoid what is likely a 2k hit altogether

plus 0 points buys you sidesteps, which is 15 seconds of +50% dodge -- or 15 seconds wherein you aren't getting but once every 3 attacks at most. (As a BD you've got 10% already, you should be sitting at 7% base, 67% chance to dodge)

That alone outweighs the loss of 400-800 hp.

Soulwalker

Sucks being at work, cause I cannot link my builds, but.....

I used to be pure Riftstalker all the way up, I now have moved points from it into Blade Dancer, and forgone the Cage and the Combo Point transfer, I just did not need those, ever. The Dodge is great, False Blade is up all the time and DOES make a difference.

Also, I took the Interrupt too, as I was tired of relying on the other classes having it and using it. It has made a difference as well on those that need it, although not a ton.

I am BD/Bard/Rift. I took the Bard for the crit reduction and the Endurance buff, however I will say my Endurance buff often is not used due to other classes having it.

I am a regular T2 runner, and this has worked best so far for me.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by zodswine View Post

I used to be pure Riftstalker all the way up, I now have moved points from it into Blade Dancer, and forgone the Cage and the Combo Point transfer, I just did not need those, ever. The Dodge is great, False Blade is up all the time and DOES make a difference.

Also, I took the Interrupt too, as I was tired of relying on the other classes having it and using it. It has made a difference as well on those that need it, although not a ton.

I am BD/Bard/Rift. I took the Bard for the crit reduction and the Endurance buff, however I will say my Endurance buff often is not used due to other classes having it.

As long as you have the appropriate toughness the crit reduction is pointless you know?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    As long as you have the appropriate toughness the crit reduction is pointless you know?
    Sure, I took Bard when I started tanking and haven't looked back. And yes, as you progress through Toughness levels it is not needed. Good point. I started Deeeps and needed it as I worked to get the gear. I haven't messed with replacing that soul with something else yet. Sounds like an opportunity.

Champion

out of all the different combinations, putting bard in tank build, to me, has always seemed pointless.

you gain some hp which riftstalkers aren't lacking, some buffs that in any team situation SOMEONE will most likely be able to offer anyway, a small amount of avoidance and possibly some armour (which in some teams will be overwritten anyway)

compared to any of the rs/bd or the rs/bd/ranger it just seems so lackluster and wasteful.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zodswine View Post

you know you loose 1%HP from improved guardian and 0.5% damage absorbed from improved rift guard with every point you don't put in RS right? and then there is scatter the shadows, the lvl 51 skill saved quite a couple wipes for me.

uses 51rs/8BD/7ranger
    with 5quickreflexes, 1reprisal, and 2strikeback in BD
    and 5 in the HP talent (forgot name) and 2 in bolster
    4% dmg reduction from all dmg imo is far outweighs a tiny chance mobs wont hit me/600 armor from bard, not sure exactly how much reduction 600 armor would give, but i doubt it much over 4% and then it would only be physical reduction where most of the bosses at least have some sort of magic dmg and usually most of their dmg if not all is magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    out of all the different combinations, putting bard in tank build, to me, has always seemed pointless.

you gain some hp which riftstalkers aren't lacking, some buffs that in any team situation SOMEONE will most likely be able to offer anyway, a small amount of avoidance and possibly some armour (which in some teams will be overwritten anyway)

compared to any of the rs/bd or the rs/bd/ranger it just seems so lackluster and wasteful.
    I think in my post I mentioned about the overwritten ability. "lackluster and wasteful", okay, I get it, you want to squeeze the best out, sure. I didn't find it wasteful in the beginning stages of tanking, but I would admit in these higher level dungys, and running with my now larger and more complete guild, it could use a review.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear View Post
    you know you loose 1%HP from improved guardian and 0.5% damage absorbed from improved rift guard with every point you don't put in RS right? and then there is scatter the shadows, the lvl 51 skill saved quite a couple wipes for me.

uses 51rs/8BD/7ranger
    with 5quickreflexes, 1reprisal, and 2strikeback in BD
    and 5 in the HP talent (forgot name) and 2 in bolster
    4% dmg reduction from all dmg imo is far outweighs a tiny chance mobs wont hit me/600 armor from bard, not sure exactly how much reduction 600 armor would give, but i doubt it much over 4% and then it would only be physical reduction where most of the bosses at least have some sort of magic dmg and usually most of their dmg if not all is magic
    I see the point, I guess these days having these dungys on farm, I don't need to pay attention to small differences. The guy asked for something, I told him what works for me.

Default GSB Rogue tank and ROS

Some Pointers....

#1 Don't use bard in your Tank build. 10% Hp and some Armor seems nice but TRUST ME .. 8 Points in Ranger is Better 5% hP and 6% Dmg reduction. Also you can use Quick shot to do distance pulls.

#2 Scatter the shadow is nice (at first) but in a co-ordinated group you should never need this skill. IMO i recommend 50RS/8BD/8R ... It is currently the best Single Target boss tanking spec in the game.
    Last edited by remilafo; 05-25-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Xerise, Eliana, Eurydice, Rissa and December
    http://www.direman.com/everwas/index.php

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by remilafo View Post
    Some Pointers....

#1 Don't use bard in your Tank build. 10% Hp and some Armor seems nice but TRUST ME .. 8 Points in Ranger is Better 5% hP and 6% Dmg reduction. Also you can use Quick shot to do distance pulls.

#2 Scatter the shadow is nice (at first) but in a co-ordinated group you should never need this skill. IMO i recommend 50RS/8BD/8R ... It is currently the best Single Target boss tanking spec in the game.
    Remi, thanks for the information. I will try those changes too. I have been second guessing Bard, due to what I started noticing was never really needed, but I guess being lazy and on easy mode I never got off my *** to change it. I do like like the additional love to BD that I have now, but I will give it a go and see what plays better for me.

Good info sharing guys...

Some Pointers....
    Do you mean Rift Prison
    Last edited by tantalus00; 05-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tantalus00 View Post
    Do you mean Rift Prison
    No...

Scatter the shadows is the 51 point RS ability gain automatically when you go full RS .. ie. the 3s cleanse and immune.

When i go 50 points into RS I automatically lose Scatter the shadows and I choose to NOT invest into the 31 point skill called Planar Switch which during a boss fight is never used.

Rift prison which is the 6s CC of Rift stalker actually has some really good uses. All be it none of them on a boss but on trash pull it can be very handy... Ex #1 Rift is the only NON-breakable CC Ex #2 some mini-bosses can be CC'ed and some of them hit just as hard if not harder than bosses.. so sometimes you can use Rift prison as a 6s combat Break to give your healer a chance to heal the party up.
    Xerise, Eliana, Eurydice, Rissa and December
    http://www.direman.com/everwas/index.php

No...

Scatter the shadows is the 51 point RS ability gain automatically when you go full RS .. ie. the 3s cleanse and immune.

When i go 50 points into RS I automatically lose Scatter the shadows and I choose to NOT invest into the 31 point skill called Planar Switch which during a boss fight is never used.

Rift prison which is the 6s CC of Rift stalker actually has some really good uses. All be it none of them on a boss but on trash pull it can be very handy... Ex #1 Rift is the only NON-breakable CC Ex #2 some mini-bosses can be CC'ed and some of them hit just as hard if not harder than bosses.. so sometimes you can use Rift prison as a 6s combat Break to give your healer a chance to heal the party up.
    Oh ok, I was like WTF. I wasn't even looking at the roots; just the tree, and was thinking there was some RS lingo going on.

Champion

I'd still argue that your build isn't the "best" just an alternate build ;P

that 2% damage reduction you gain can be made up by the 0.5% more reduction from guard and then clever usage of the sts move ;P

also I'd say drop a point from somewhere life rift scavenge or the movement buff rather than planar switch, a cheap off the gcd combo point is better than most of that stuff in a fight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast