+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Divine Defender?

Default Divine Defender?

I'm going to be hitting 50 soon on my Rifstalker, and was wondering if I should start investing in getting a Divine Defender (or two) crafted. Does anyone know how valuable the proc actually is, and if it makes it worth it?

I'll be rocking the 8 BD/51 RS/7 R if that matters at all.

RIFT Guide Writer

Divine Defender has really bad dps so it is bad for generating threat. The dodge and parry bonuses are not good since pure str and dex bonuses give the same but also other benefits. I have not tested the proc but I doubt it is any good. Get an actual weapon instead of a toy to your main hand at the very least.

Champion

it worked great for me while I used it, and that was before they really fixed the proc, once they had fixed the proc I only swapped it out because I a) needed the hit b) was getting weapons whos stats gave so much more.

Dealing actual damage is not as big a threat boost as you might think, planar strike, phantom blow, rift disturbance and shadow blitz are all more than enough to keep things on you.

The absorb shield more than makes up from the lack of crit + AP you'd get from a weapon with str/dex on instead, and of course, for an entry level 50 theres not going to be many weapons around with 10str, 10dex and 20 end.

Its actual base dps is no different from other level 50 crafted epics as well.
    Last edited by Dasorine; 05-25-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Rift Disciple

as fresh 50 i suppose it could be okay, but really don't look that overwhelming good to me, even if it procs a lot, those 250something dmg it absorb is 2-3 hits at best really, and shouldn't really get long to get 10str and 10 dex on as well as at least a 17-18end, so imo i never used it, seem a bit too expensive for what it does for me (did ask a guild mate if the proc could stack from 2 of them and he said he tried and that it didn't, so no use of getting more than one tbh if you get it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Champion

yeah I never had more than 1 (though I couldn't when I was using em)

the shield is fairly helpful, and happens enough to be noticeable.

I personally used it + the dirk from IT untill I was into raids (due to lack of any other real tank weapons dropping)

once your hitting t2's titan slayers would replace it comfortably, and in a raid situation even a dps weapons better if you need the hit but the mace is probably the best epic craft from the weaponsmiths set and well worth using if you find yourself able to get it early.

Rift Disciple

also the deathblock dirk from the IT end boss seem to have far better stat already and the drop rate quite good on them, and is what im using ATM waiting for the titanslayers to drop
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Champion

if you can get em there great, but you sort of already need to be tanking to obtain em, also I've only ever seen 2 drop in all the time I've been doing experts... 1 I got myself, the other one dropped about a week after I'd started raiding...

not to mention the proc is still sort of worth a slight drop in stats.

Rift Disciple

well i got 2 pretty fast and had a couple more drops after i had 2 dirks as well, so had other ppl that wasn't tanking get those :P
    Last edited by GummiBear; 05-25-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBear View Post
    well i got 2 pretty fast and had a couple more drops after i had 2 dirks as well, so had other ppl that wasn't tanking get those :P
    lucky gits :P

Shield of Telara

Defensive:
    1pt Strength = 1 point to Parry
    1pt Dexterity = 1 point to Dodge

Offensive:
    1pt Strength = .50 points to Attack Power
    1pt Dexterity = .50 points to Attack Power
    1pt Dexterity = 1 point to Physical Crit

Divine Defender
    One Hand Mace
    Damage per Second: 24.4
    Endurance +20
    Parry +10
    Dodge +10
    Equip: Chance on melee hit to form a barrier that will absorb 259 damage. Lasts up to 20 seconds.

Merciless Blade
    One Hand Sword
    Damage per Second: 24.5
    Strength +18 (18 parry, 9 AP)
    Dexterity +13 (13 dodge, 6.5 AP, 13 Critical strike)
    Endurance +11
    Hit Bonus +33

Is same material costs. Assuming you get your 2 minor catalysts per weapon from helping people do crafting rifts. Both can be done with Augments.
    Last edited by Relanex; 05-25-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Champion

gain of 11 avoidance

loose 9 endurance and an absorb proc. Guess its upto you which you deem more useful.

The dps stats are negligible for a RS, your not gonna be pulling awesome dps no matter what you do and its not needed to keep agro, so taking an extra 1dps over some survivability doesn't make much sense.

Shield of Telara

Missing the mob entirely isn't going to help your threat alot.

Plane Touched

I know people are dogging on the divine defender, but right now I find it to be fairly good until you get 2 tank weapons from Tier dungeons. I'm personally still using it and almost never have threat issues unless I'm running wtih a stormcaller/elementalist

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Relanex View Post
    Missing the mob entirely isn't going to help your threat alot.
    should only be an issue in a raid situation, by which time you should be past the t1 level equipment

Shield of Telara

I wasn't dogging it was only showing an alternative. It helps when someone is looking at items. I am a weapon-smith. As an example, I can sell Hawk's Talon for 30 platinum and a Spined Compound bow for 15-20 platinum. The cost difference to make those is pretty excessive. But, people feel purple is always better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast