+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting Gear

Shadowlander

Default Getting Gear

I was hoping someone could share some info on getting good gear as you level up.

I am only level 18 right now, but I've seen some players with some pretty decent items at level 20ish. Pretty much everything I have now is green and obtained through questing. I haven't found a guild yet so I don't know if I should be finding instances or if I'll get better items through quests or what.

Thanks for the input!

Plane Touched

As a general rule of thumb, the last campaign quest of a zone will reward you with a blue item, sometimes armor and sometimes a weapon. Instances are also an excellent way to gear yourself up as you level, and is by far the fastest way to level a character. Also, there are very good armor and weapon designs sold by the notoriety NPCs in each zone, so if you're a crafter, or know someone who is, then you can also craft some of those up.

Champion

also planar items are nice if you can get teh stones and doing a bit of pvp here an there for the pvp gear gives some nice blues

Shield of Telara

Just quest, pvp and level. In all honesty the quest gear will quickly replace items as you go up. At 32 you can buy a Damascus Dirk for the mainhand weapon that will last you awhile. The reason you are seeing players with really good gear is they are on their second or third character for leveling up. At that point, they have a large amount of money to spend on items that aren't going to last them very long.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Magipants View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, the last campaign quest of a zone will reward you with a blue item, sometimes armor and sometimes a weapon. Instances are also an excellent way to gear yourself up as you level, and is by far the fastest way to level a character. Also, there are very good armor and weapon designs sold by the notoriety NPCs in each zone, so if you're a crafter, or know someone who is, then you can also craft some of those up.
    Interesting... Does that generally hold true for all level ranges? I feel like I've done a significant amount of questing from 1-18 and I don't think I've seen a single quest that rewards with a blue item.

Shield of Telara

Participating in the zone event may give you a source crystal that spent at the rare planar vendor will buy you a set of epic pants. At least on the Defiant side. Don't know the guardian side but I assume it should be equal.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

i get the impression that it generally goes;
    in order -
    crafted / questing
    crafted / normal dungeon
    crafted / expert dungeon
    crafted / 10 raid
    crafted / 20 raid
    so get the outfitter or armorsmith depending which applies to u and keep the trade up to date, then just lvl up. and as u go u will always keep your gear up to date
    i do not suggest getting the gears themselves from the AH because A) it will be replaced soon, and B) u will pay more than its worth, and C) your crafting will keep u on pace, and finally D) u sell the gears and u make profit to those that do buy from AH

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tronyx View Post
    Interesting... Does that generally hold true for all level ranges? I feel like I've done a significant amount of questing from 1-18 and I don't think I've seen a single quest that rewards with a blue item.
    I know it's true in the case of Gloamwood, Stillmoor, and IPP. Most zones will have a quest rewarding a blue item for you, though. I may be off when I said it was the last campaign quest, but I distinctly remember getting at least one blue quest reward item from each zone.

Like the above posters said, zone invasions are a very good way to get gear. You should be participating in a zone invasion whenever you see one pop up.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Magipants View Post
    I know it's true in the case of Gloamwood, Stillmoor, and IPP. Most zones will have a quest rewarding a blue item for you, though. I may be off when I said it was the last campaign quest, but I distinctly remember getting at least one blue quest reward item from each zone.

Like the above posters said, zone invasions are a very good way to get gear. You should be participating in a zone invasion whenever you see one pop up.
    Very good to know. I have actually been staying away from them because they seemed like a PITA interruption when it came to my questing. I'll be sure to participate in the future.

Edit: Is a zone invasion the same thing as a rift?
    Last edited by Tronyx; 05-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    also planar items are nice if you can get teh stones and doing a bit of pvp here an there for the pvp gear gives some nice blues
    Sorry for the 2x post, but can you explain planar items? I've noticed that when I participate in rifts and stuff, I'll get a....something that escapes my mind right now - planarite? I have no idea what to do with them and I don't see them in my inventory.

Sorry if this is getting off topic btw, but since I don't have a guild or anything, I am mostly left to figure things out on my own.

Champion

well each zone has a planar and a rare planar vendor.

When doing the invasions if you do a lot of the objectives and generally help out you get a chance of obtaining either a blue named shard or a purple named shard for that zone/zones.

A number of these can be traded in at the rare planar vendor a long with an ample amount of planarite for blue or purple items (weapons/armour) or stronger than average essences.

The planarite alone can be spent on bigger and better sigils to put essences on, some ascended powers that use planar charges that can help out a lot in certain circumstances or on crafting augments.

Plane Touched

There are two types of invasions. There are the "regular" invasions, also just called invasions, which all follow the same general vein. A message pops across the screen ~5 mins before it's set to start saying something like "The din of the woods increases...", hinting not only that the invasion is set to begin soon, but each message is specific to a boss that will spawn once the invasion is completed. The regular invasions are all comprised of only two stages. The first you're asked to either close X number of rifts, kill Y number of invasions, or a combination of both all while defending certain wardstones. Once that's complete, the invasion boss spawns and you're then tasked with killing him in order to finish the entire invasion. These give out a Sourceshard (blue-level rarity) as a reward, along with Planarite.

The other sort of invasion is a "major" invasion, or a Crusade. Here, a message appears across the screen when it's set to begin just like in the other type, but that's where the similarities end. These events have either 3 or 4 stages to them. For instance, the Crusade in Silverwood asks you to destroy certain bosses across the zone, followed by destroying a certain number of enemy wardstones, and finally wrapping up by killing the last, grand boss. In Shimmersand, the earth crusade spawns a number of enemy wardstones in Fortune's Shore, eventually taking the place over. The players are then tasked with destroying the wardstones for the first stage, followed by defeating 5 or so of these final bosses. All crusades give out a Sourcestone (purple-, or epic-, level rarity) as the reward, along with Planarite. Currently, you also get a Chest of Riches for finishing said crusade.

Planarite is essential, and you're going to want to collect as much of it as you can. For Guardians, you're going to need 7.5k Planarite to buy the top-tier Sigil, the Sigil of the Five. And you'll need several of those, to boot. There's also the Rescue Medic for 15k Planarite which is very necessary for Dungeon content, and the skill to see the tear to get into the 10-man raid instance, which costs 25k Planarite. On top of that, you can buy various pieces of gear, Greater and Lesser essences, Augments, companion pets, Rune/Potion Designs, Fireworks, and Expert/Raid Rift lures with your Planarite. The highest tiers of which cost anywhere from 500-3k Planarite each.

Oh, one more thing. Earning Planarite does in fact get easier as you level. At 50, I can earn from 160 to 275 Planarite from closing one rift alone. So don't fret, there's plenty to go around when you hit cap, you just have to close rifts and participate in events often enough. Furthermore, Sourceshards that you know you'll never use (e.g. ones from earlier zones) can be traded in for sacks of Planarite at their respective traders, so it's always worth participating in an Invasion/Crusade.
    Last edited by Magipants; 05-24-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Champion

you can get purples from all the invasions, just more likely from the big one.

Just like you can (and I have) get blues from the crusades.
    Last edited by Dasorine; 05-24-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    you can get purples from all the invasions, just more likely from the big one.

Just like you can (and I have) get blues from the crusades.
    The blues usually come from killing the individual bosses, like the Pillar Guardians during the Crusade in Stillmoor. Or at least that's what I've found.

As for the Sourcestone rewards from regular invasions, I'm fuzzy about the details of how you obtain them. I have heard that all Wardstones must have been defended successfully by the end of the invasions, and also that you have to have a certain contribution in order to receive one as a reward. Neither has worked properly for me, even as a 50 pretty much soloing half of a Silverwood invasion.

at any given lvl if you wanna max out on best gear you need to pvp rift and instance grind.

however, quest greens are more than adequate to lvl to 50 off of, and i recommend it since questing = where the money is. better to quest to 50 and use greens because if you do every quest you find you will have 300p at 50 where you can now by t2 epics and gear yourself out.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast