+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To better understand....

Soulwalker

Default To better understand....

Morning all,

I'm fairly new to this game and started a rogue. I have, over the last couple weeks, read the forums and after played the game, but I'm still trying to understand this game. For whatever reason I'm having some trouble understanding what I am doing wrong. If i'm doing anything wrong to start with...

If I understand it, most players are setup for one of three builds - PvE, PVP or Dungeons. Is this a fair statement?

As I'm trying to level up, I think some of my confusion comes from trying to read the builds posted here and trying to apply them to my toon.

At level 20 I'm mainly running a NB/Sin combo. Although yesterday I purchased a New role to try a BD/SIN combo. I tried them both out for PVE and I'm finding that I like the NB/SIN combo. It "feels" to be more straight forward and dps wise, where the BD/Sin feels more clunky with alot more buttons to push or keep track of. Now this could be simply because I am not use to it yet. I'm willing to try it out more, but I wanted to make sure with some advice from the community. On paper that combo should be producing more DPS? (Both builds feel like there is little to no Downtime).

I have also read about adding in the whole ranger/pet thing. Honestly it's never worked for me in past games. I'm also not sure if it works well with stealth openers, which I'm liking alot. I'm not sayign i wouldn't trying it, I'm just looking to see if what I'm doing is viable.

Lastly, at this point in the game, should I be using macros or not? Just curious since I'm still trying to understand them and how they work for you while fighting.

I have this feeling that I'm probably over thinking this and should just have fun leveling, but in the same time I'm trying to learn and improve the play style of my toon. I could be wrong and I'm open to some advice.

Much Appreciated,
    Horde

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hord View Post
    Morning all,

I'm fairly new to this game and started a rogue. I have, over the last couple weeks, read the forums and after played the game, but I'm still trying to understand this game. For whatever reason I'm having some trouble understanding what I am doing wrong. If i'm doing anything wrong to start with...

If I understand it, most players are setup for one of three builds - PvE, PVP or Dungeons. Is this a fair statement?

As I'm trying to level up, I think some of my confusion comes from trying to read the builds posted here and trying to apply them to my toon.

At level 20 I'm mainly running a NB/Sin combo. Although yesterday I purchased a New role to try a BD/SIN combo. I tried them both out for PVE and I'm finding that I like the NB/SIN combo. It "feels" to be more straight forward and dps wise, where the BD/Sin feels more clunky with alot more buttons to push or keep track of. Now this could be simply because I am not use to it yet. I'm willing to try it out more, but I wanted to make sure with some advice from the community. On paper that combo should be producing more DPS? (Both builds feel like there is little to no Downtime).

I have also read about adding in the whole ranger/pet thing. Honestly it's never worked for me in past games. I'm also not sure if it works well with stealth openers, which I'm liking alot. I'm not sayign i wouldn't trying it, I'm just looking to see if what I'm doing is viable.

Lastly, at this point in the game, should I be using macros or not? Just curious since I'm still trying to understand them and how they work for you while fighting.

I have this feeling that I'm probably over thinking this and should just have fun leveling, but in the same time I'm trying to learn and improve the play style of my toon. I could be wrong and I'm open to some advice.

Much Appreciated,
    Horde
    Up till level 40 (pet stops leveling at 35 unless you invent a lot of points into Ranger) you should have 6 points into Ranger. It's NOT needed but the tank pet and heal really make soloing a lot easier.The tank pet from the Ranger does a great job of holding aggro. Drop the pet heal, send the pet then DPS like a mad man. In most cases you can skip the pet heal.

Both the NB and BD play a lot of alike IMHO. But I would suggest trying NB/BD. They really do pair well together.

I wouldn't worry too much about "learning" you toon. But level 50 you will pretty much need to know everything about the Rogue class and have 4 to 5 builds that you will be switching in and out of. I can tell you I use atleast 2 builds every dungeon run I do and some times 3. Can you have one build for every run? Sure but most don't.

I would say just enjoy leveling. I wasn't one to rush to 50 and have to say I enjoyed leveling.

Rift Disciple

Do you have Deadly Dance in your BD/Sin build? 105% damage on the next 3 combo point generators is too good to pass up. Often, you will finish them off with Keen/Quick and have a charge of Deadly Dance left for a 105% increased damage Assassinate on the next target.

Xsi

Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    Up till level 40 (pet stops leveling at 35 unless you invent a lot of points into Ranger) you should have 6 points into Ranger. It's NOT needed but the tank pet and heal really make soloing a lot easier.The tank pet from the Ranger does a great job of holding aggro. Drop the pet heal, send the pet then DPS like a mad man. In most cases you can skip the pet heal.

Both the NB and BD play a lot of alike IMHO. But I would suggest trying NB/BD. They really do pair well together.

I wouldn't worry too much about "learning" you toon. But level 50 you will pretty much need to know everything about the Rogue class and have 4 to 5 builds that you will be switching in and out of. I can tell you I use atleast 2 builds every dungeon run I do and some times 3. Can you have one build for every run? Sure but most don't.

I would say just enjoy leveling. I wasn't one to rush to 50 and have to say I enjoyed leveling.

The pet stops leveling at 30 (not 35). You need 4 pts in ranger for pet heal (not 6).

Do not overlook Rift Stalker's Rift Scavenger ability post level 30.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Soulwalker

@konji - Role one has NB/SIN/BD. I've just dumped my points into NB and SIN with 0 in BD. You can make the arguement that i could just take Ranger at that point to at least have the Pet. i've just been shying away from the pet though. I'm not complete sure I can effectively run NB/SIN/BD with the low amount of points I currently have...?

@Nefai - I'm sure I did take it, but to be honest, I haven't really given the build a chance yet. I played around with it for about an hour last night and I'm still clunky with hit this than that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time, before I put more testing into it.

@Xsi - yes I've seen that comment a lot. Role 2 was BD/SIN/RS. I've read about putting 13 points into RS for that trait and 17 into SIN. This seems to be a staple? But as you know leveling up doesn't allow for such builds and like you stated "after" 30.

This could be I'm doing the wrong rotation of skills. Could be I don't understand the description of skills correctly, yet. I know alot of them I can't figure out why you would even use when there are other ones with better DPS done...? I could be missing something. I'm sure with some more play time it will become clearer. I hope lol.

Thanks,
    Horde

Rift Disciple

You can make a simple macro to make Keen Strike and Quick Strike a single button, will make the BD rotation easier:

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

This will cast Quick Strike when possible (after a successful Keen Strike), otherwise it will cast Keen Strike.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xsi View Post
    The pet stops leveling at 30 (not 35). You need 4 pts in ranger for pet heal (not 6).

Do not overlook Rift Stalker's Rift Scavenger ability post level 30.
    It's been a while since I was low levels thanks for correcting me. Did the pet heal change? Because I am pretty sure when I was leveling up it was 6 points into Ranger.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    It's been a while since I was low levels thanks for correcting me. Did the pet heal change? Because I am pretty sure when I was leveling up it was 6 points into Ranger.
    Since I started, Predatory Instincts has been the 6 pt, so as far as I know, Rejuvenate has always been 4. (I didn't play beta though, just since launch.)

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nefai View Post
    Since I started, Predatory Instincts has been the 6 pt, so as far as I know, Rejuvenate has always been 4. (I didn't play beta though, just since launch.)
    It might have been in beta.. Or maybe I'm just getting old.. Haha

Soulwalker

@Nefai - I'll give that rotation a try. Thanks.

@Konji - We're both getting old...every day LOL

Thanks for the some insight all. Going to test/play later on after work

+ Reply to Thread