+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What should my DPS average for T1/T2 Dungeons?

Shadowlander

Default What should my DPS average for T1/T2 Dungeons?

Greetings all,

I'm an old school MMO'er starting back in the UO days. Almost all of my time logged across the various games I've played have been in some type of cleric / healer spec but decided to branch out with Rift and try out the Rogue. I'm currently unlocked for both T1 & T2 instances (assuming because of gear) however I'm wondering if I'm underpowered. I did two T1 crawls (one in LH, one in Fae) and my DPS was sitting in the high 200's (plus another 60 w the pet). This seemed a bit low to me so I thought I'd throw it out to the forums. My apologies if this has been covered before (which I'm sure it has several times). So, I'm curious....what do you all think qualifies as a decent DPS for T1 and T2 runs?

Here is my point breakdown

Ranger - 31 pts
    Bladedancer - 17 pts
    Marksman - 18 pts

Soulwalker

We need to know what sort of stats (dex,AP,crit,hit,weapon dps) you have to give a better opinion but frankly your numbers are abysmally low.

It could be your build or your rotation or you're simply not mashing the keys fast enough.

I recommend changing to a 44sab/20sin/2rn spec and trying it out for a while. The rotation is simple and the build allows for range or melee.

5x spike>detonate 5x shrapnel>detonate and repeat. Wait for spike to reach 0s before detonating the next set of spike charges and that's all you really need plus throwing incriminate at your tank if necessary.

If you qualify for T2 queue i expect at least 650dps single target with this build.
    Last edited by tellerin; 05-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Sib
    Shadowlander

Mileage is going to vary but I'd say shoot for at least 400+ for t1 and 6-700+ for t2. I don't quite get the blade dancer is your ranger spec maybe pvp?

If you want to stick with ranger Sozu has a good guide up with a easy rotation / macros and what not.

Sozu's PvE Ranger Guide [1.2] REVISED

listen to the top 2 posters. first your build is BAD, you need 17 sin for all dps builds, there is not a single dps build that a rogue can be that does comparable dps that does not have 17 sin. yes this makes all 51pt builds besides 51 assassin bad at dps by default.

that said, if ranged is your game both the top 2 posters have good builds and one even has a guide. i suggest looking at this guide and following it (since you are already a ranger). and yes you will need macros for max dps with a pet so read the guides carefully and make sure to have pet macros, do not ignore them saying they are useless as the pet will do MUCH more dps if he is macro'd.

also make sure to have a nice bow, soon as you get enough plat you should try to buy a rune carved bow, it is the best bow short of raids and will serve you very well in all t1 and t2 content.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Mileage is going to vary but I'd say shoot for at least 400+ for t1 and 6-700+ for t2. I don't quite get the blade dancer is your ranger spec maybe pvp?

If you want to stick with ranger Sozu has a good guide up with a easy rotation / macros and what not.

Sozu's PvE Ranger Guide [1.2] REVISED
    Thanks for the link. I browsed through the guide and I'm convinced I need to respec. I originally put in the Bladedancer soul for PvE to mix up some melee with my range, but a change to Assassin might make more sense for dungeons.

Rift Disciple

I am glad to see more players like you where you actually find out more and willing to improve. You accepted that you might have low dps, seek out forums for help and willing to try on new build. It is called improvisation.

Cases where many posters get flamed due to elitist because they minded that some people are doing subpar dps and not willing to change or simply stick to: "I am playing what I feel is fun and don't tell me what to do" -- is ridiculous.

I have seen many doing 200dps or so but are actually pissed when I asked about their build and perhaps need to change. Or simply they would say "I suck. Bye".

Worst story was 42dps rogue in DSM ....
    "I have done all bosses in DSM. But please explain them to me again"
    He proceeded to do 120dps on Gregori Keslav and 42dps on Bonehew.
    Last edited by Xrande; 05-23-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Soulwalker

1 thing that doesn't add up here. If you have 31 pts in Rng and are using a Raptor Plus your gear is good enough to que for T2's then your raptor should be doing over 100pts by itself. Probably 120 to 140. Maybe you should check your dps meter, I have had both RJ's and Act bug out on me at times.

Rift Chaser

Problem I see a LOT of people have is they only have one, maybe two specs by level 50 and they are both LEVELING SPECS. What works for leveling is NOT good for dungeons.

I applaud the OP for asking for help. I try to nicely help people the few rare times I pug, but even when you are as nice as possible they are still standoffish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Rift Disciple

I have been testing the heck out of different specs.. in rank 1 and 2 epics and some T1 +hit gear I can pull off 400ish dps. I seems to be able to do right around 400 no matter if it's assassin MM sabo.. 400.. but if i go ranger my pet gets me another 80, giving me 480 in my 32bard/26ranger/8BD....

Don't laugh, if you don't have a bard in your 5 man I think that is likely the highest dps build. Fervor is just that good. If you do have a bard, ranger, 17 in assassin, 20 MM for mastery would be pretty good .. but I haven't tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Noburu View Post
    Problem I see a LOT of people have is they only have one, maybe two specs by level 50 and they are both LEVELING SPECS. What works for leveling is NOT good for dungeons.

I applaud the OP for asking for help. I try to nicely help people the few rare times I pug, but even when you are as nice as possible they are still standoffish.
    QFT

The same applies to other scenarios too.

What's best in T1s/T2s =/ What's best in PvP =/ What's best in raids =/ What's best in soloing =/ (What best on the dummy)

There's a learning curve as people progress to raiding I've found. When people start T1/T2s they show up in solo builds, when people start raiding they show up in T1/T2 builds.

There's still a ton of customization though. Unless you have a massive ego and have to be #1 dps, there are about 10ish rogue builds that puts you up to competitive dps. The only soul that has no place in raids whatsoever is marksman.

About the actual dps number itself. The number will come, just stick to a good build. This game is HEAVILY gear dependant. Someone with superior gear can double your dps hitting the same buttons. Just stick to a good build and go from there. As an aside, some people will say 'you suck' because of the low number which makes me laugh. They're usually the same type of people who post dps parses on the dummy with whetstones. Just ignore them, have fun and gear up.
    Last edited by Mayi; 05-24-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Champion

As others have said:

t1's you want to be averaging ideally 400+
    t2's you want to be averaging ideally 600+

If your having issues hitting such first thing you need to do is check your build.

If your there to dps your there to dps, so you can generally drop any defensive or mobility talents, stuff like bolster, enduring, quick reflexes or the marksmen sprints and such, they wont really get used in dungeons unless things go wrong and things wont go wrong if your optimized ;)

Of course you may want to look into a completely new spec to start your dungeon runs the first 2 posters have some decent ones but you can always experiment yourself, just bear in mind you shouldn't be getting hit or needing to kite or anything like that, so when designing your build always put those talents at the bottom of the list of things to take.

After you've gone through your build the next biggest drop in dps is rotations, if you have a bad rotation the best gear and build in the world wont help.

If your using lots of bleeds make sure your not refreshing them every second, this stops them from doing any damage by preventing their ticks, make sure you have your buffs on and make sure there the best ones you can have on (if you make a high nightblade build dont then run with leeching poison and virulent poisons on ><).

Check that your using your damage cooldowns, make sure your not spamming your lowest damage moves instead of your actual moves (I have seen an assassin that stated malicious strike was their highest dps move cos it stopped them being energy starved).

If your using pets macroing their moves into your spammables will give em a bit of a damage boost, as a 31 ranger your raptor should easily be hitting 100 dps, 150 ideally. Also put in reactives and off gcd moves into macros so they get used as soon as possible.

Also what I see a lot of rogues doing is not aoeing on large packs, sure your single target dps may be higher per target but if the entire group is aoe'ing it drastically cuts down on the time spent fighting, if you have aoe's, aoe! 700 dps vs 1 target out of 5 isn't as good as 1500 dps vs all 5 targets.

If you can get both build and rotation right you should have no issue hitting the correct numbers, gear is not such a huge effect on your dps as the build and rotations are. The main effect on your dps would be your hit rating, but as long as you have the recommended amounts for the dungeons thats a non issue.

If you want to push your dps more though focus on weapons first, a good weapon will be the biggest dps gain from any given piece of gear, if your ranged still as others have said you can try and buy one of the t2 epic drops, rune carved or the abyssal musket both will give you a very nice boost (though runecarved has the higher dex boost)

Quote Originally Posted by Ez Pz View Post
    I have been testing the heck out of different specs.. in rank 1 and 2 epics and some T1 +hit gear I can pull off 400ish dps.
    Don't laugh, if you don't have a bard in your 5 man I think that is likely the highest dps build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    QFT

The same applies to other scenarios too.

What's best in T1s/T2s =/ What's best in PvP =/ What's best in raids =/ What's best in soloing =/ (What best on the dummy)

There's a learning curve as people progress to raiding I've found. When people start T1/T2s they show up in solo builds, when people start raiding they show up in T1/T2 builds.

There's still a ton of customization though. Unless you have a massive ego and have to be #1 dps, there are about 10ish rogue builds that puts you up to competitive dps. The only soul that has no place in raids whatsoever is marksman.

About the actual dps number itself. The number will come, just stick to a good build. This game is HEAVILY gear dependant. Someone with superior gear can double your dps hitting the same buttons. Just stick to a good build and go from there. As an aside, some people will say 'you suck' because of the low number which makes me laugh. They're usually the same type of people who post dps parses on the dummy with whetstones. Just ignore them, have fun and gear up.
    Actually for dps buffs it's Warlord > Archon > Bard
    For defensive buffs it's Bard > Archon > Warlord

Quoted myself, just to clarify...

Solo - spec for survivability
    T1s/T2s - spec so you have great aoe, good single target
    Raiding - spec so you have great single target, good aoe

Quote Originally Posted by tellerin View Post
    We need to know what sort of stats (dex,AP,crit,hit,weapon dps) you have to give a better opinion but frankly your numbers are abysmally low.

It could be your build or your rotation or you're simply not mashing the keys fast enough.

I recommend changing to a 44sab/20sin/2rn spec and trying it out for a while. The rotation is simple and the build allows for range or melee.

5x spike>detonate 5x shrapnel>detonate and repeat. Wait for spike to reach 0s before detonating the next set of spike charges and that's all you really need plus throwing incriminate at your tank if necessary.

If you qualify for T2 queue i expect at least 650dps single target with this build.
    Agree with this guy!

This is the simplest build to play and it does massive dps... it parses a bit lower then some melee specs but in reality it comes out on top in most dungeons and raids because you never stop hitting your target... not even when you are moving and your single target rotation has aoe in it.

I now parse 945 over 5 min... and put out over 1200 dps in GSB.

Those who havent tried sab yet... defiantly should.
    Last edited by Blays; 05-24-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

+ Reply to Thread