+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BladeDancer Threat Bug

Soulwalker

Default BladeDancer Threat Bug

I've noticed a few rogues that seem to be pulling aggro off tanks all the time, they're not critting higher than anyone else or even damaging higher than the top DPSer. One thing they all have in common is the blade dancer soul.

Anyone know if it's threat bugged or something? It would explain the weird rogue BD pulls I've been seeing.

Rift Disciple

More than likely they're just popping all their CDs at the beginning of fights, which unless you have a very good tank is going to draw aggro quickly.

Soulwalker

It's not at the beginning of the fight though, not always. It's during all times of the fight. The tanks have no problem keeping aggro off of higher DPS and higher critting DPSers. That's why it's so strange.

I use a lot of BD in my melee spec and have had this problem as well. I have always attributed it to the tank having not built up as much threat on a particular mob vs others in the pack. Though it has happened on rare occasion with single target. I often run with a mage who does insane damage and crits and he does pull aggro on occasion expectedly, but more often than not I am the first to die in these cases.

Sword of Telara

prepatch nightblades had the same issue. hmm...

Sword of Telara

I made a thread on this (I play Tank). I think Rogue class (or BD soul) seems to have some inherent threat generation greater than other classes. I have played mages who parse higher but do not pull aggro. More often than not, if I lose aggro, it is to a Rogue.

Until we have threat meters, it's difficult to conclude.
    Last edited by Blackblade; 05-23-2011 at 08:09 AM.

RIFT Guide Writer

Ask them if they are using the riftstalker AOE ability. It generates ectra threat (or any RS abilities for that matter)

Champion of Telara

A BD or NB (pre-patch) does 1000 dps. They get 1000 threat per second.

A Warrior does 1100 DPS. The warrior gets 850 threat per second, and their cat gets 250 threat per second.

Make sense now?

Prophet of Telara

Above poster is right, almost all Warrior and Mage specs that pull high numbers use a pet and they have their own threat. It could also be that ranged has a higher threat cushion than melee but of this I'm not certain. In WoW for example, ranged needs to do 130% of the tank's treat, while melee would pull agro at 110%.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    A BD or NB (pre-patch) does 1000 dps. They get 1000 threat per second.

A Warrior does 1100 DPS. The warrior gets 850 threat per second, and their cat gets 250 threat per second.

Make sense now?
    Hmm where does this come from? I'm not arguing with you or anything like that, I'm just curious.

Thanks for all the posts btw, I really want to figure this out. Having top DPS but dieing 2-3 times a fight ain't so hot.

Edit: I don't use BD for this reason
    Last edited by Kylar Stern; 05-23-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kylar Stern View Post
    Hmm where does this come from? I'm not arguing with you or anything like that, I'm just curious.
    A player and his/her pet have separate aggro lists. So a BD may say 'Why am both I and this beastmaster doing 1000 DPS but I keep getting aggro and he doesn't?" It's because the BD is doing 1000 DPS, but the Beastmaster is only doing 800. The BM's pet is doing 200 DPS, however, and that aggro does not transfer over to him.

Soulwalker

I don't buy that "DPS is too high" though. I mean people do well over his DPS without a pet and don't pull aggro.

-shrugs-

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Its deadly dance fiery spike. FS has been bugged forever with threat and DD just makes the problem worse. Plus rogues are doing more damage now.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post
    Its deadly dance fiery spike. FS has been bugged forever with threat and DD just makes the problem worse. Plus rogues are doing more damage now.
    This I can see being true, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackblade View Post
    I made a thread on this (I play Tank). I think Rogue class (or BD soul) seems to have some inherent threat generation greater than other classes. I have played mages who parse higher but do not pull aggro. More often than not, if I lose aggro, it is to a Rogue.

Until we have threat meters, it's difficult to conclude.
    I fully agree with needing an ingame threat meter.

I play bladedancer from time to time in instances, I've noticed that while there may not be BIG NUMBERS floating across your screen there are a TON of numbers. Numbers that while aren't small they aren't big, just a lot of them. I've waited sometimes 10secs before opening on a target and without blowing ANY CDs I pull within 5-8seconds. With my nightblade build it's considerably less of a problem. I have the same issues with assassination but that's more of always lucky string of opening crits.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J. R. R. Tolkien

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast