+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Best Bard Support Spec?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Best Bard Support Spec?

    Just ding'd 50 and not sure which is best route can anyone show me some possible solutions?
    Cheers

  2. #2
    Ascendant Mulch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    In case you haven't thought of it, use search functions to find -- there've been a few good bard threads.

    51 points in bard are necessary.

    Nightblade: Blazing Fury (5) and Unstable State (3)
    Ranger: Eagle Eye (5) and Bolster (2)

  3. #3
    Ascendant Blays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
    In case you haven't thought of it, use search functions to find -- there've been a few good bard threads.

    51 points in bard are necessary.

    Nightblade: Blazing Fury (5) and Unstable State (3)
    Ranger: Eagle Eye (5) and Bolster (2)
    Oh please... like Verse of Joy is necessary! Properly speced casters never run out of mana anyway and as nice as energy regen is... it really inst necessary..

    There is a very nice Bard/BD build that at least does 300-350dps with better heal output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

  4. #4
    Ascendant Mulch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blays View Post
    Oh please... like Verse of Joy is necessary! Properly speced casters never run out of mana anyway and as nice as energy regen is... it really inst necessary..

    There is a very nice Bard/BD build that at least does 300-350dps with better heal output.
    It's not for the mana, it's for pink/yellow (and mana) for bursts on dps races.

    What more support are you bringing with something else?

  5. #5
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Clerics need mana.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    124

    Default

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...dqiqskqz.Vh.Vb

    That's the basic 51 Bard build. When people ask for someone to run bard for raids, that's typically what they expect.

    Some bards have been toying with Deadly Dance in the BD tree. A build for that would look something like this.

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ioskVz.E00u.Vh

    For a BD spec you can drop even more points from Bard to get up to Blade Tempo, and even Combat Efficiency can help. Just depends on how much you want to lose in Bard.
    Last edited by Krazed59; 05-23-2011 at 08:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Leharic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default

    You are never, ever going to need Verse of Joy in an expert, ever.

    Ever.

    Go 32 into bard for Anthem of Fervor then pick a DPS tree you like.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Mulch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leharic View Post
    You are never, ever going to need Verse of Joy in an expert, ever.

    Ever.

    Go 32 into bard for Anthem of Fervor then pick a DPS tree you like.
    Who would spec their bard for 5-mans?

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    Clerics need mana.
    i.e. Verse of Joy can make you loved by some.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulch View Post
    Who would spec their bard for 5-mans?
    A bard can increase the dps of a group considerably. If you drop your dps by half by going battlebard, you may end up giving your party higher dps than if you go full dps, not to mention higher survival.

    This will only happen when the other 2 damage dealers have high enough dps but it's a possible scenario
    Last edited by Leirogreco; 06-07-2011 at 05:13 AM.

  11. #11
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Here are my two recommended builds for expert dungeons from this thread:

    Higher DPS Version:
    32 Bard / 26 Ranger / 8 Assassin

    Higher Utility Version:
    40 Bard / 26 Ranger

    The first build will DPS almost as well from range as the Blade Dancer battle bard does from melee. It's healing and damage-while-healing will also be a little lower without Deadly Dance, but again, that requires melee.

    The second build loses maybe 10% damage from the first but you get your res and Fanfare of Knowledge, along with a little better AoE damage and heals.

    You might also want to try out a 32 Bard / 31 Ranger / 3 Assassin build for DPS, but I haven't tested that one.

    *edit*

    And as for why to spec bard for 5 man groups:

    That first build has less than a 100 single-target-DPS drop from the DPS build I compared it to. If your motifs, anthem, and fanfare adds at least 100 to the DPS of your 4 other group members, you're better off as the bard and you still have the option to stop DPS-ing and switch to off-healing during tougher battles.
    Last edited by Silatt; 06-07-2011 at 07:27 AM.

  12. #12
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...kVz.VIx0z0z.Vh

    This is my Warfront Bard.

    40 Bard allows for both offensive Fanfares and allows for typical healing, minus the Verse of Vitality.
    18 Riftstalker gives Guardian Phase, which nerfs Cadence a bit but is very much worth it since it doesn't affect Coda of Restoration.
    8 Nightblade makes up for the slight nerf to Cadence through the aforementioned Riftstalker.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Here's my utility/healing bard:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dqiqskqz.Vhx.M

    You will get to a point in experts where you can heal a well-geared tank by yourself, even if you can't queue directly as heals.

    I have Anthem of Fervor up, along with motifs, and usually fanfare of knowledge (though your fanfare depends on the group build). Rotation is easy, with power chord>cadence>finisher. If everyone is ok, finish with coda of fury for group along with a frag bomb, if single target, go with coda of wrath. For healing, use coda of restoration.

    It also gives you stealth and a ranged sap for utility, as well as a slow, and 2 interrupts (don't work on almost all bosses though, since they're stuns). Coda of distress and coda of cowardice should be up on the main target at all times. Verse of joy can be coordinated to run with spotters orders and your debuffs to maximize damage output for the entire group, or just used as a mana regen for duration fights.

    Verse of vitality is fantastic for heavy aoe damage as well.

    Make sure your essences affect the target of your healing, not you, for the best support bonus.

    Keep your anthems ready to switch out. A quick change to Anthem of Competence can literally save the life of someone who isn't moving fast enough to get out of los of a boss nova. (ironically named)

    If you have a chloro in the group and they have their ability up to reduce ability cost, i normally go with anthem of glory for bonus armor on normal pulls, and anthem of defiance for heavy magic pulls.

    Use riff situationally for healing, or for a quick dps boost for aoe burns.

    At the end of the day, you're a utility class. Your job is to maximize the damage of everyone else, or heal as necessary, not to put up big numbers in a parser. A proper bard in a raid group or even a 5 man can do more damage by increasing their allies' damage output than any hybrid dps bard could do alone.

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yoshirawr View Post
    At the end of the day, you're a utility class. Your job is to maximize the damage of everyone else, or heal as necessary, not to put up big numbers in a parser. A proper bard in a raid group or even a 5 man can do more damage by increasing their allies' damage output than any hybrid dps bard could do alone.
    I get so tired of seeing this.

    A 32 point Bard has everything that a 51 point Bard does except for Verse of Joy. In a raid, Verse of Joy adds roughly 3000 dps for 15 seconds out of every 120 seconds, or 12.5% of the time, for 375 dps. A moderately geared 32 point hybrid Bard will do about 600 dps more than a 51 point Bard all the time (and his dps will actually scale with gear), and have arguably better healing output thanks to Deadly Dance Cadence, depending on spec. The VoJ Bard is only better when you're doing a fight that contains a burn phase (and it is awesome then).

    EDIT: Forgot about Fanfare of Knowledge, which will narrow the gap, but I doubt would close it.

    In a five man the contest is laughably one sided, a hybrid dps bard's group will completely smoke the group with a 51 point bard.
    Last edited by Vellis; 06-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellis View Post
    I get so tired of seeing this.

    A 32 point Bard has everything that a 51 point Bard does except for Verse of Joy. In a raid, Verse of Joy adds roughly 3000 dps for 15 seconds out of every 120 seconds, or 12.5% of the time, for 375 dps. A moderately geared 32 point hybrid Bard will do about 600 dps more than a 51 point Bard all the time (and his dps will actually scale with gear), and have arguably better healing output thanks to Deadly Dance Cadence, depending on spec. The VoJ Bard is only better when you're doing a fight that contains a burn phase (and it is awesome then).

    EDIT: Forgot about Fanfare of Knowledge, which will narrow the gap, but I doubt would close it.

    In a five man the contest is laughably one sided, a hybrid dps bard's group will completely smoke the group with a 51 point bard.
    In a five man contest, bard is laughable. (i fixed your post for you)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts