+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [PvP] MM/Inf - "Caster Killer" - Build Discussion

Soulwalker

Default [PvP] MM/Inf - "Caster Killer" - Build Discussion

Hi Forums!

With this being my first post on these forums, i would like to share with you a build that i am shure some people use, but by whatever reasons, did not yet reach the rogue discussion forum. First of all, I would like to apologize for any problems about to emerge because of my english, which could contain some grammatical errors (I'm from Germany).

Second, I would like to state the build's intention: disabling/killing casters in group-PvP situations while putting lots of pressure on them and thereby allowing your team to win matches. This build is not at all intended for 1on1 combat, allthough I believe it could fare rather well against some specs.

Specs:

The core of this build is a solid 44MM with an added 15Infi with either 7 points in ranger or assassin:
    44MM/15Inf/7Assa
    44MM/15Inf/7Rng

While these builds are overall very similar, I prefer the Assassin build by a small degree. The pet is nearly completely useless, its only purpose is to keep the enemy from getting out of combat if they manage to get away (which they shouldn't!). The overall damage is nearly the same for both, the AP buff and the poison are kind of equal. I just prefer stealth over having the 2cp-ranged-DoT which i honestly don't use a lot.

What this build offers:

- Very good damage against players, nearly the same as MM/15NB or MM/17+Assa would do
    - Sleight of hand (not as good as Eradicate, but lower energy-cost and a free CP. use it in macro before Eradicate)
    - Eradicate (no comment)
    - Anathema (in combination with any nightblade or champ/para-warrior, it's just great!)
    - Pardon the Interruption (free 80%-100% interrupt chance on finisher? great!)
    - Cloudy Poison (very usefull, especially in combination with PtI, giving you more time to interrupt! Also nice if you spam AoE once in a while)
    - Deaden (Extremely usefull skill which not only interrupts, but also silences. might want to have a @mouseover macro for this one, too)
    - Repelling Shot (either one of our few defensive options or another interrupt)
    (- stealth or a pet! )

What you'll miss

- 1-2% more damage would be possible in a "normal" MM spec
    - defense, although this is the main problem for all marksmen, so use Retreat an On the Double wisely and probably NOT for running after that damn warrior your team missed earlier.

Playing the Build:

As a rank5 Marksman with REALLY crappy weapons, I was surprised to see that MM was indeed buffed to enormous damage, so this is what I try to do. As a part of the concept, this build will fare best if you lock onto targets with a blue bar under the green one, especially healers. Use @mouseovers! If you can't kill the caster, disable him/keep him busy!

The important thing is to learn to use all of the great utilities mentioned (or forgotten) above. Another thing (that some might not aggree on) DO NOT overuse eradicate. When the Bubble/GoS/HoT are gone, try to bring your target down!

I hope you like it and I'm open for any suggestions!
    Last edited by Rinser; 05-23-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Telaran

I run 38 mm/15 inf/ rest in assassin as my 'caster killer' the damage is higher,and i get far more kills.

Quote Originally Posted by KarrilDaltaya View Post
    I run 38 mm/15 inf/ rest in assassin as my 'caster killer' the damage is higher,and i get far more kills.
    Perhaps, though the OP explicitly stated this is a "caster killer" build. Eradicate destroys many casters with the removal of HoTs so your comment bears no meaning and is not constructive in the slightest.

@ OP - Thanks for your post we need more people like you feeding the community with their builds and opinions. I've yet to take that route in the Inf soul but I definitely like the sound of it and will give it a try for sure. Thanks for your efforts

Soulwalker

Hi!

I bookmarked a build like yours for when I will be 50 .

But I had chosen 44MM/22Inf to gain a little survivability anticipating that I might be targeted more often by casters.

What is lost :
    • 5% crit chance
    • 4% permanent damage (physical if Assa, all (?) if Rng)
    • Pet and ranged dot if 7Rng (which you admit is kinda useless anyway)

What is gained :
    • Almost permanent -15% spell damage taken
    • A "third poison" increasing all damage by 2% per stack to a max of 20% on the target
    • Perma stealth
    • Some flexibility from the floating third soul : poison from Assa or Shift from RS or Adhesive Bomb from Sab or even Side steps from BD

So the big loss is really the 5% crit chance, and I wonder how big a deal this is.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Hi!

I bookmarked a build like yours for when I will be 50 .

But I had chosen 44MM/22Inf to gain a little survivability anticipating that I might be targeted more often by casters.

What is lost :
    • 5% crit chance
    • 4% permanent damage (physical if Assa, all (?) if Rng)
    • Pet and ranged dot if 7Rng (which you admit is kinda useless anyway)

What is gained :
    • Almost permanent -15% spell damage taken
    • A "third poison" increasing all damage by 2% per stack to a max of 20% on the target
    • Perma stealth
    • Some flexibility from the floating third soul : poison from Assa or Shift from RS or Adhesive Bomb from Sab or even Side steps from BD

So the big loss is really the 5% crit chance, and I wonder how big a deal this is.

Its worth noting that focused intent does take a while to put stacks up on. Even with 3/3 in it, a 30% proc chance isnt high. It would take roughly 30 attacks on someone to ever get full stacks going. That being said, your also loosing an additional 5% crit from the second assassin poison. Overall though 10% crit = 5% damage buff.

Personally if all you want is damage, 40 MM/26 NB is the best possible damage, ensuring improved heat and run, heat retention, 5% damage buff from 'poisons', CoD for Strafe, Twilight/Duske Strike Spam for close range attackers, and of course Twilight Shelter (defense).

Focused Intent LOOKS great..but I'm concerned how many attacks you really need to lay into someone in pvp to make it work. It might be better in a premade where you can call out your target so the group takes advantage of the damage buff.

Ascendant

Has anyone tested what proc focused intent? Its worded like warlock armor is so maybe it procs off of procs and dots. Like does it proc off of poisons or barbed shot tics or master archer if so getting stacks up wil happen much quicker.
    The artist formerly known as Daroof

Mofugga-bethlam

Soulwalker

as i said, this is not the build you're looking for if you long for super-imba-lol-look-at-my-crits!!!111-damage, as other specs give you some heavy boosts in overall damage (my 1-2% that i stated are more like 10% ^^).

Nevertheless, I tried focussed intent in my last - damage oriented - build, and it's nowhere near as good as 5% crit, whith the main problem being the target - if it's not dead in less time than it takes to build maximum stacks of focussd intent, you and your team are doing something horribly wrong ;)

anyway, thanks for the positive reactions to my first appearance on these forums ;) Dankeschön!

PS: you don't need permastealth. honestly. especially 30%-slow permastealth. you think you need it? coward! ;)
    Last edited by Rinser; 05-23-2011 at 12:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread