+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greater Essence slot for ranged rouge?

Shadowlander

Default Greater Essence slot for ranged rouge?

Hi guys,

As per above, any idea? I am using ranger mostly.

Shadowlander

I just got my Predatory Soulstone yesterday, +100AP after using Shadow Fire. Is this good? and how much dps does it translate to?

Which trinket to use?

I got no parser hence am not able to test.

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

I'd just go with lessers so I could use it with any spec/role at any given time.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Shadowlander

damn that thing is 50 inscribed..and also the bomb. Lucky dog

Shadowlander

@StealthStalker, i got another source machine for the other specs, so am just wondering if this is good

@MaxOhm, yeah, its the bomb, costs so much!!!

Am using the sozu 31rng/18mm/17sin build, after self buffed my AP~600/ PC~44%(Feral Instinct)

Which trinket should i be using? Maelow's Loaded Dice, Ocean Star, World event trinket or anything else? (except the pvp trinket-got no rep..lol)

Am using the world event trinket now.
    Last edited by tjz1984; 05-24-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Rift Chaser

Predatory Sourcestone is OP right now course its only good for rangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    I'd just go with lessers so I could use it with any spec/role at any given time.
    I stacked my focus with blue crit lessers that I got from SS and Stillmoor. The chance on proc to boost AP or dmg doesn't benefit me more than a static stat boost. I pve with sab.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Noburu View Post
    Predatory Sourcestone is OP right now course its only good for rangers.
    I disagree. There's no omg wtf bbq threads with parses.

I have the Predatory Sourcestone and relic bow. I don't even use the stone as other Rogue builds w/o Ranger parse way higher.
    Last edited by Petgroup; 05-24-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Shadowlander

@Zentraedi: the greater proc not by chance, but its a buff on using shadow fire

@Noburu: are you using the ranger build now?

I am also alternating using other build, melee ranger, sabo and all

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zentraedi View Post
    I stacked my focus with blue crit lessers that I got from SS and Stillmoor. The chance on proc to boost AP or dmg doesn't benefit me more than a static stat boost. I pve with sab.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjz1984 View Post
    @Zentraedi: the greater proc not by chance, but its a buff on using shadow fire

@Noburu: are you using the ranger build now?

I am also alternating using other build, melee ranger, sabo and all
    Same thing I did. Have 5x Elusive Prey from Stillmoor and the epic one from RoS event. Im pure PVE 44 Sab/ 20 Assassin/ 2 Ranger.

EDIT: Havent bought my 5th role yet, but I frequently Tank when we cant find one for T2s, Bard when needed, and still have an Assassin/NB/Riftstalker build I use for questing/dailies. So I use Sab for all my dungeon dps needs, it can pull great dps no matter if ranged or melee.
    Last edited by Noburu; 05-24-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Plane Touched

Generally speaking casted shots are a DPS loss due to no auto-attacks during casting and energy management issues like having to wait (and thus waste GCD time) for energy to cast or wasting energy while your energy regens while casting if you are at max. Also if the cast time is over 1 second you are losing out on GCDs that you could have used other skills for.

That said, using Splinter Shot right after Shadow Fire for me seems to be a DPS increase as it mitigates the above two issues to an extent as you don't "cut off" your auto-attack timings as much and won't run into the above mentioned energy issues. Splinter Shot is also only a 1.5s cast, yet still awards 2 CPs and does more damage than Empowered Shot.

Empowered Shot is AFAIK always a DPS loss unless you are using Improved Hit & Run, but none of the top ranged PvE specs go that far into MM anyway.

Shadowlander

yeah, am aware of the fact that energy starvation drops your dps by quite abit and i am assuming if you are using splinter after shadow fire, don't use expose weakness as well as per wad sozu is doing

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Skyro View Post
    Generally speaking casted shots are a DPS loss due to no auto-attacks during casting and energy management issues like having to wait (and thus waste GCD time) for energy to cast or wasting energy while your energy regens while casting if you are at max. Also if the cast time is over 1 second you are losing out on GCDs that you could have used other skills for.

That said, using Splinter Shot right after Shadow Fire for me seems to be a DPS increase as it mitigates the above two issues to an extent as you don't "cut off" your auto-attack timings as much and won't run into the above mentioned energy issues. Splinter Shot is also only a 1.5s cast, yet still awards 2 CPs and does more damage than Empowered Shot.

Empowered Shot is AFAIK always a DPS loss unless you are using Improved Hit & Run, but none of the top ranged PvE specs go that far into MM anyway.
    most casted shots that take longer than 1 second do double the damage if not more than 2 1s gcds, then you have added effects such as regening lots of energy during the cast and in shadowfires case, getting 35% damage increase.

The loss of the auto attack I've always found negligible even with double shot at 5/5.

Also empowered shot can be a big dps gain even with just the normal hit and run, but it takes a bit of setting up rather than just hitting the cooldown and spamming.

Shadowlander

@Dasorine, So i am assuming that the Predatory Soulstone (+100AP) coupled with +35% increase in damage is well worth it for ranger spec?

Next question, Should i use 1 GCD for Expose weakness, am assuming that 1 quick shot will be better than Expose Weakness

Champion

for a ranger the +100 AP sourcestone seems like its probably the best greater you could use, dont know of anything that would potentially give more boost to you.

As for expose weakness, not a clue, perhaps just before any rapidfire shots but otherwise I'd generally not bother with it, only real use is to maximize burst damage rather than maximize dps.

+ Reply to Thread