+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue skill - Planar Switch

Default Rogue skill - Planar Switch

As a rogue tank, this skill is at most the useless tool of all time.
    The only use is long range pulling (even then i would rather shadow blitz and use memory capture).
    I know its suppose to save combo points, but when tanking in experts or clearing trash.. well i have much more things to do and gaining combo points is not a problem at all with some points into blade dancer soul..

For a skill high up in the soul tree, i feel pretty jipped here. I was wondering how you might use this skill other than..
    Pulling from a distance.
    Using it with scavenger.
    Obvious description saving points.

If I had any suggestion to this skill to be altered, I would make it force taunt until a certain amount of combo points were achieved. This way you have time to gain guarded steel or rift guard. This would also help a ton in line of sight pulling on caster type mobs, as weak as our aggro is this would allow the caster type mobs to stay on us while he drags his behind toward you.

Rogue tanking is hard as hell to do, and recently pugging with people, all they want to do is push forward the instance fast. A rogue tank has to think strategically for every pull so he doesn't wipe the team.. in short the trash is harder than the boss by far.. rather annoying to see how much aggro tools we lack.

Thanks for reading
    -Stre

Rift Chaser

It's bad enough that I've never even bothered to actually try it. Worthless on paper and (apparently) worthless in practice.

Plane Walker

I personally don't use it, but if I did, the best way would be to transfer 5x combo points from a main boss to an add that was about to die for a burst heal.

Thats all I got.
    Looking for a mature, casual guild focused on having fun?
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Soulwalker

I use it a lot, it generates 1 combo point and is off GCD, not the best ever, but you should be using it.

Telaran

It's not the best, but it does have some niche uses.

If you need to switch targets suddenly (e.g. someone pulls threat, you have 4 points on another target, taunt and switch for your 5th point), it's useful. Also, as mentioned, it's a quick combo point if you have the spare energy since Planar Switch isn't on the GCD.

But yeah... for the most part it's not terribly useful.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drenai View Post
    I personally don't use it, but if I did, the best way would be to transfer 5x combo points from a main boss to an add that was about to die for a burst heal.

Thats all I got.
    This. I also macro it into my pulling macro, so I do splinter/quick/planar in 1 GCD and get 4 CPs on the mob before reaching melee range.

If they want it to be worth a damn, it should be a passive that adds the combo points from your previous target to any new target you attack with a combo builder. It would make trash tanking easier without giving rogues any advantages over other tanks.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 05-23-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Champion

Personally I recently caved to peer pressure and set up some macros, this is in my planar strike and phantom blow macros, at worst its a cheap extra combo point that doesn't trigger gcd, at best it auto switches my points around if I need to switch target for some peculiar reason.

Its not a brilliant skill but its not a bad one either. Would love to see it improved mind.

As for pushing forward quickly being hard as a rogue tank... its actually easier, the faster you move the less fights your going into with no buffs heck I've taken to not stopping until about half way through a zone if I can help it (did CC the other day and continuously fought until after cyclorax where we took a 30s break for quick water break and to chat for a few seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    As for pushing forward quickly being hard as a rogue tank... its actually easier, the faster you move the less fights your going into with no buffs heck I've taken to not stopping until about half way through a zone if I can help it (did CC the other day and continuously fought until after cyclorax where we took a 30s break for quick water break and to chat for a few seconds)
    Yep, I do this too with a very experienced group, people that aren't familiar with the instance is ..

Thanks for the posts, I did learn something.. tie in reprisal/planar switch for 2 even easier combo points
    (Didn't know about its GCD) Yay! Thanks

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by aems View Post
    For a skill high up in the soul tree, i feel pretty jipped here. I was wondering how you might use this skill other than..
    Just thought I'd mention, since a lot of people are surprised by this, that the word is "gypped" and it's a racial slur against gypsies. Once I found that out, I stopped using that word. YMMV.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
    Just thought I'd mention, since a lot of people are surprised by this, that the word is "gypped" and it's a racial slur against gypsies. Once I found that out, I stopped using that word. YMMV.
    =\ they aren't a race they are a communitys of vagabonds, besides gypsy is the slur. Now if you get had by said wondering folk well ' a fool and his money...'
    Just because its broke for blizzard doent mean its going to be broken on Rift.
    If you write off everything jerks can use to be jerks; you might as well just go play Olympic Wall Starring

#show Instigate
    cast Instigate
    cast Planar Switch

Pick up loose mob + move previous combo points to it. Spam threat styles to keep the mob. Planar Switch only really helps maintaining your buffs, doesn't seem to add much as far as threat generation.

... that's all I got.

5% dodge + False Blade + Reprisal from BD pretty much assures one extra combo point every 6 seconds.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

+ Reply to Thread