+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leving build?

Shadowlander

Default Leving build?

Howdy. I am new to Rift and my rogue is my first character. Now that we have that out of the way, I am wondering about leveling builds, or if there is such a thing.

I am only lvl 18 right now, and building against http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...zs0o0b.VhxzhoM which seems to be working out alright. I do see a lot of talk about MM/bard/all kinds of other stuff, so what do you recommend?

I was kind of thinking that I should just level and then worry about gear and builds a little later, but at the same time, it seems like it might be beneficial to get familiar with the build as you go, i.e. the marksman skills and stuff will be much more familiar than when they just poof out of nowhere with a completely new build.

Thoughts?

if it work for you then roll with it.

Solo for range I personally LOVE ranger/bard(more focus in bard). Pet tanks, I heal, have no problem with 4-5 mobs. DO I kill fast? No, dosen't kill super fast, but at the same time you will live through just about anything. even soloed a few elite group quest.

Melee, so far I like http://www.riftjunkies.com/forums/sh...ker-Nightblade but I am only lvl 22 with that build.
    Rules do not exist to bind us. They exist so you may know your freedoms.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    if it work for you then roll with it.
    Melee, so far I like http://www.riftjunkies.com/forums/sh...ker-Nightblade but I am only lvl 22 with that build.
    I ran with this build, with a few tweaks here and there but I kept the core in place. The main thing is to get the 13 points into Riftstalker for Rift Scavenger. The weakness of the build is AOE, but its strength the survivability and stealth when you put more points into NB you end up with two saps.

Adjustments I made were additional points in Assassin for faster stealth speed and slip away and tossed out Rift Barrier.

Either way it was a super fun build and was very effective. No stupid pet to screw around with or drag around. Since your in melee you are ready to roll at any time with out having to get to range etc. Fit my play style better and at 50 I still use a version for grinding, dailies etc.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by pipda View Post
    I ran with this build, with a few tweaks here and there but I kept the core in place.
    Thanks for the info. Anyone else have some PvE leveling builds they'd be willing to share?

I'm also leveling a rogue to have a little fun with. I've been told it's best to level as ranger by some, and assassin by others. I'm up to level 14 now.

Assassin seems really slow to level with all the setup and sneaking around time involved. Granted my gear isn't great but I'm not going to put the time in for blues/purples when at low levels you're abandoning gear so often. I'd probably enjoy this more for PVP or for material gathering.

Do rogues have any kind of AOE spec where you can pull and kill multiple mobs, or handle adds?

I'm liking the idea of that rift scavenger for less downtime, Would this work? Basically going for the self heal first.. but I don't know what I could add down the line to get AOE's?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpMi.VG0h.zM

Thanks.
    Last edited by Hodor; 05-23-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by pipda View Post
    I ran with this build, with a few tweaks here and there but I kept the core in place. The main thing is to get the 13 points into Riftstalker for Rift Scavenger. The weakness of the build is AOE, but its strength the survivability and stealth when you put more points into NB you end up with two saps.

Adjustments I made were additional points in Assassin for faster stealth speed and slip away and tossed out Rift Barrier.

Either way it was a super fun build and was very effective. No stupid pet to screw around with or drag around. Since your in melee you are ready to roll at any time with out having to get to range etc. Fit my play style better and at 50 I still use a version for grinding, dailies etc.
    Working up a rogue alt and I consider the ranger pet a transit efficiency method. If you get aggro the pet grabs it and dies as you ride away;).

8 bard/ rest ranger / NB is the mix I'm using. Nightblade as it has a melee finisher at 0 spec, which I can put in my finisher macro. I love macroing rogues. If you are running it moves to the instant past the cast time etc...

I have a ranged macro that includes my melee strikes, a finisher that includes my melee finisher(Hits harder than the bladedancer one), self buffs, aoe healing if needed and a few specialty shots target cast, cadence at my normal self healing slot.

second role I'm playing around with a rift tank build I haven't dialed in yet.

I do plan on doing a RS melee build once I have enough points to have the goodies I want. Ranger bard builds are exceedingly easy, kill fast and have good survivability.

Soulwalker

I've been rolling towards this build since I was early 30s. I think you can start using it already.

Things I like about it:
    AoE with Twin Strike and Compound Attack
    Survivability with Riftstalker talents especially Rift Scavenger
    Flash of steel is a great opener
    Never run out of energy with Combat Efficiency, Combat Culmination, and Vivacity
    Weapon barrage against casters and Disengage against melee for great disarms
    And lastly what I call the "I WIN" button for when you're surrounded and just want to see things die, Blade Tempo followed immediately by Dancing Steel.

Unless I'm overly careless, I can just walk into an area and just kill everything without stopping to eat, drink, or plan. Just go go go! It's fun, and not overly difficult. Of all the different builds I've played here in Rift and in WoW, this is by far my favorite.

http://rift.shriekback.net/?Link=8ff...91b2af8051fb5b

A good priority macro that makes this even better

#show Precision Strike
    /suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

Hope you find this useful.

I just run around as a Riftstalker and don't take damage.

If I need to pull from Range I use Cadence.

I just spam Phantom Blow to 5 then use either Annihilate, Guarded Steel, or Rift Guard.

It also gave me a bit of mobility with my racial before I bought my mount.

So yeah, it's nice. The damage on the finishers is strong and, again, you don't really take much damage.

Plane Touched

I leveled up as a ranger and I still am a ranger. Mostly because at this point I don't feel like learning the other souls outside of my support build. I wish I would have leveled as blade dancer or assassin because I would understand those souls a lot better. When it comes to mechanics, ranger is about as easy as it gets, not that any are hard, but I think melee classes rely on more skills and priority than I do as a ranger.

Rift Disciple

Default Re: Leveling build

The Cuisinart is currently a favorite of mine. Post here: The Cuisinart (Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Rogue)

It won't start shining until you pick up Dancing Steel and Rift Scavenger. I'm using it at 38 right now. (no points into Assasin yet.) Just concentrate on getting Rift scavanger and Dancing steel first.

Default Leveling build

I went with Blade dancer, Sin, Bard for my solo leveling build. Just enough bard to get Cadence with Invigorated Soul, so you can stack it with deadly dance to keep yourself alive in almost any situation, sin to sneak in and out of tight spots and single pull/CC adds, and the rest in BD. Its not a huge dps, tank or support build, but its just enough of all of the above to handle pretty much anything by yourself while leveling up.

i'm L16 now and ended up going with a 14 RS/6 As/0 Sab build

I can either sap and add combo points from range with sab and then put down the snare aoe and pull into that for kiting, or I can just flat out add charges from range and when the critter runs to me I blow it up.

I have 3 macros I use mainly. The single AP builder uses savage strike and then has blast charge so it can do range. The single finisher uses final blow but also has detonate after. In that way it can also be a ranged finisher. Lastly I have an AOE attack macro which does rift disturbance and then switches to savage strikes while the CD is going.

I will try to build up combos and prefer to try to use final blow because it does literally twice the dmg of detonate, with the way I configured the 6 pts in assassin. And then I'll try to put a couple combo points on the critter right before it dies so I get heals back from rift scavenger.

So far Rift Scavenger has been incredible, leaves me scratching my head why Grisley Works in warrior was nerfed. No downtime and I can solo stuff 2-3 lvls above me or 3 mobs at a time when I'm in green gear.
    Last edited by Hodor; 05-24-2011 at 04:28 AM.

+ Reply to Thread