+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker issues.

Ascendant

Default Riftstalker issues.

Hi folks,

Recently rolled a rogue for tanking purposes, mostly because I already had a cleric on another server and I didn't like the 'flavour' of the warrior. I'm level 24, and taking an absolute beating in DD. Agro is not an issue.

My current build is 8pts in Bladedancer, 0pts bard and 24pts Riftstalker. I keep all my finishers up, including false blade. It just seems that I'm getting pummelled.

I ran RotF and IT with no issues, and only had a Chloro (guildy) healing me, yet I now require a cleric AND a chloro to keep me up in DD. Is this an issue with the class? The zone? My spec? These mobs are 2 levels lower than me.

I can do it, with dual-healers, but I feel like a paper tank. Any help would be great.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Plane Touched

yea, at lower levels your not fully equipped to be the tanking machine that you will be later. Be patient....run as dps or bard in lower levels

Ascendant

What is the issue? Not enough mitigation? Not enough hitpoints? Lack of avoidance? Mobs hitting too hard?

I really don't want to be forced to DPS because the class can't take a hit

I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    What is the issue? Not enough mitigation? Not enough hitpoints? Lack of avoidance? Mobs hitting too hard?

I really don't want to be forced to DPS because the class can't take a hit
    You rely heavily on the Riftstalker tree to be able to tank, the more points in Riftstalker tree, the easier it gets.

Rift Disciple

hmm generally you want 8BD (5quick reflexes, 1reprisal (SO AWESOME for getting fast CP's) and 5 strikeback(free threat basically everytime you dodge)) and either 7ranger or 7bard once you hit 50 and ofc 51RS

while it can be debated ranger seem to be generally the better choice (loosing a fair chunk of HP yes, but gaining 4%dmg reduction.

and when you do take your points in RS, be sure to prioritize anything defensive FIRST (shadow assault being an exception here just too good planeshifting attack(don't take its upgrade before your got all the defensive stuff though), no matter what you will never be able to deal any meaningless dmg anyway(at lvl 50 i still crit for about 200 with normal attacks and 500 with finishers that do dmg).

Also be sure to spam your "Rift Disturbance" as well EVEN on single target, since it is is not only a great threat increase, but also a AP/SP debuff on any target it hit, meaning again you take less dmg (or your healers/dps in case you should loose a mob)

Also going ranger give you Splinter shot and AMAZING opener since it gives 2CP and then a quick shot after and you should have enough for an effective rift guard before they mob is even close to you yet (You DID take both "rift guard" and "improved rift guard right"? those are you 2 MOST important talent in the whole tree, at lvl 50 absorbing and amazing 35% of all dmg)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Ascendant

I've done all the obvious stuff (yes I have Rift Guard and the 'improved' upgrade). It's just a case of no matter what I do, I seem to be getting my teeth kicked in.

My current spec

Champion

I've done all the obvious stuff (yes I have Rift Guard and the 'improved' upgrade). It's just a case of no matter what I do, I seem to be getting my teeth kicked in.

My current spec
    You have no absolutely no added endurance/hp, that could be a problem not sure.
    Last edited by TheWeirdOne; 05-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdOne View Post
    You have no absolutely no added endurance/hp, that could be a problem not sure.
    Where would you take points from to get the extra HP? Also bare in mind that 15% of a small number is still a small number. i don't know how much END I have (at work) but I can't imagine it being more than 100... I simply dont think that its worth spending the points for such a small increase in hitpoints.

Champion

Where would you take points from to get the extra HP? Also bare in mind that 15% of a small number is still a small number. i don't know how much END I have (at work) but I can't imagine it being more than 100... I simply dont think that its worth spending the points for such a small increase in hitpoints.
    well without improved guardian phase you have absolutely no added Endurance to your spec, you could take some points out of the plane shift abilities CD thing and move them to something else, I never tried low level tanking though, so I'm not exactly sure.

You also have to remember RIft Guard has a bigger life time if you have more HP.

Ascendant

well without improved guardian phase you have absolutely no added Endurance to your spec, you could take some points out of the plane shift abilities CD thing and move them to something else, I never tried low level tanking though, so I'm not exactly sure.

You also have to remember RIft Guard has a bigger life time if you have more HP.
    That was the obvious place to take points out of, but I find I still run into issues with the recast on those damned things. I use them to pull (and I pull quickly) and alternating between Shadow Blitz and Shadow Assault still occasionally leaves me with a pull that requires me to use Shadow Stalk (no damage port) and pray that I can grab agro before it all makes a bee-line for my healer.

Rift Guard almost never falls off before the timer runs out, so not hugely worried about that side of it...

Rift Disciple

Riftstalkers rely on damage reduction and absorbs to tank, not avoidance. Forget about dodge and parry for now and focus on more hp (and therefore larger absorbs) and damage reductions.

Personally at level 24 I would:

Remove Shadow Mastery and Shadow Assualt. You only use the rift barrier bubble at the very start of the fight until you can gain 1 or 2 combo points and get a quick rift guard up. You don't need that many teleports.

Take the 6 points from above and put them into Great Fortitude for 15% more Endurance (and larger absorbs) and Improved Rift barrier so it works on magic damage too.

Get rid of bladedancer.

Put 6 points in bard. 5 points into Good Health for 10% more hp (and larger absorbs) and Anthem of Glory (more armor is always good). This also gives you Fanfare of Vigor, which stacks with Planebound Resilience, for even more hp and larger absorbs.

Put the rest of the left overs in ranger for more hp (larger absorb) and eventually the 6% damage reduction from Bolster. (This early you only have 2 points to spend so it may be worth losing the 2% health for the bladedancer zero point dodge buff. Later on it will not be).

This will GREATLY increase you health and the size of your absorbs and provide you with more mitigation. I know you want to dodge things but that's just not how riftstalkers work. The point is to assume you are going to take the hit and just mitigate and absorb all the damage, then dodges and parries are just an extra bonus.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Serapisphoenix View Post
    Riftstalkers rely on damage reduction and absorbs to tank, not avoidance. Forget about dodge and parry for now and focus on more hp (and therefore larger absorbs) and damage reductions.
    More hitpoints will increase the total amount absorbed (i.e duration) by riftguard, but it wont make the hits any smaller. Since I'm not running into issues with RG falling off before I refresh it, this wont help much. More hitpoints is always good, but it wont help with mitigation.

Personally at level 24 I would:

Remove Shadow Mastery and Shadow Assualt. You only use the rift barrier bubble at the very start of the fight until you can gain 1 or 2 combo points and get a quick rift guard up. You don't need that many teleports.
    Not having that many teleports will mean I have to slow my pulls down. Currently I can get through 1-3 packs of trash before Shadow Blitz comes back up. I also use Shadow Assault a fair bit within fights (i.e if I lose a mob to those silly mages who over-nuke the guy on the side while I'm still hitting the main guy). I really would like those to be up faster, even with 5pts spent. You're right about Rift Barrier being not-so-good though, might take points out of that...

Take the 6 points from above and put them into Great Fortitude for 15% more Endurance (and larger absorbs) and Improved Rift barrier so it works on magic damage too.
    You say Rift Barrier isn't really that good, yet now you're saying to enhance it? It was going to be my next point, btu I'm reconsidering that now.

Get rid of bladedancer.
    This tree is good for keeping agro on multiple mobs, and 50% dodge is VERY nice. Are you sure losing that is a good idea? Strike Back is nice extra threat on things I'm not hitting with my single-target stuff.

I think maybe I just need more levels. Maybe I can talk the warrior I'm leveling with to get a tank spec and L2UseIt.

Champion

More hitpoints will increase the total amount absorbed (i.e duration) by riftguard, but it wont make the hits any smaller. Since I'm not running into issues with RG falling off before I refresh it, this wont help much. More hitpoints is always good, but it wont help with mitigation.

Not having that many teleports will mean I have to slow my pulls down. Currently I can get through 1-3 packs of trash before Shadow Blitz comes back up. I also use Shadow Assault a fair bit within fights (i.e if I lose a mob to those silly mages who over-nuke the guy on the side while I'm still hitting the main guy). I really would like those to be up faster, even with 5pts spent. You're right about Rift Barrier being not-so-good though, might take points out of that...

You say Rift Barrier isn't really that good, yet now you're saying to enhance it? It was going to be my next point, btu I'm reconsidering that now.

This tree is good for keeping agro on multiple mobs, and 50% dodge is VERY nice. Are you sure losing that is a good idea? Strike Back is nice extra threat on things I'm not hitting with my single-target stuff.

I think maybe I just need more levels. Maybe I can talk the warrior I'm leveling with to get a tank spec and L2UseIt.
    The Bladedancer tree is really more for geared and higher level tanks. Yes, it is an amazing tree to use but at lower levels/lower gear it's nice to have that extra hp cushion.

Ascendant

The Bladedancer tree is really more for geared and higher level tanks. Yes, it is an amazing tree to use but at lower levels/lower gear it's nice to have that extra hp cushion.
    I'll give it a shot tonight.

Ascendant

Try Something like this.. The points you're putting in Bladedancer are really better spent in Bard at lower levels; threat's not really an issue, so Strike Back and Reprisal are pretty much fluff. And the extra dodge from False Blade, while nice, just isn't as strong as having more effective health at such low levels. Rift Scavenging is a really big one; letting a target die with 5 CPs on it is an instant 30% heal. When you get extra points to spend (and are deeper in RS to get its own cooldowns), switch the Bladedancer soul for Ranger, picking up the health boost and damage reduction talents. You may have to go a bit slower by waiting on Blitz, but going a bit slower is better than dying, isn't it?

The sad fact is that Riftstalkers are pretty weak until you're around 30 or so. Improved Guardian Phase and Improved Guarded Steel are extremely strong talents, and Rift Guard scales upward with more points in the soul -- each point in Riftstalker makes Rift Guard absorb more damage from every attack. Once you're in range for Foul Cascade though, you should be good; A lot of my leveling came from tanking instances as RS.
    Last edited by Isila; 05-22-2011 at 09:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast