+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Profession for a PvE Solo Rogue?

Soulwalker

Default Profession for a PvE Solo Rogue?

I'm a Bladedancer/Riftstalker/Bard, and I intend to play PvE solo as much as possible. Which professions and gathering professions do you recommend, and why?

I have no other characters, so twinking is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

Telaran

Butchering/Outfitting/Runecrafting is the best combo for a rogue IMO. Butchering supports outfitting which in turn support runecrafting. Self sufficient. Unless you want to go 3x gathering and just sell for money.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Araknyd View Post
    Butchering/Outfitting/Runecrafting is the best combo for a rogue IMO. Butchering supports outfitting which in turn support runecrafting. Self sufficient. Unless you want to go 3x gathering and just sell for money.
    I'd second this... it's a great combo. I've also found outfitter to be very useful to me and my guildmates at level 50 as well, at least through T1 and partly into T2. Properly augmented, the stuff you make (especially if you get a pattern drop or two) can be superior to a lot of T1 drops.

Champion of Telara

Well my rogue has those 3 and I recommend going something else.

Runecrafting is mostly good because you can make your own runes. That is what I dig about it most.

Outfitter is somewhat useful I guess. However, you quickly out gear the crafted items, and there are so many people who are the above combo that it's not really something that's good for making money. If you need some crafted gear at 50, I think you are better off spending the few plat. There is most likely an experienced person in your guild that has all the recipes in both of these. I have them in my guild and so do 2 other rogues for example.

It is by far the easiest ones to level and do crafting quests for. Which has it's upside, and it's down side.

I recommend going apothecary, and then butchering and foraging. Then make an alt and run it to your main city, and on your alt pick up runecrafting and outfitting.

Apothecary has nice buff potions you can use that work in addition to buffs. And there is a wide variety with them. It's a hard profession to level at times I'm finding out, and the crafting quests are way more expensive. But the upside is much more.

You'll be getting side items from butchering, and the leather is extra. So you can send your leather and your cloth that you get to your alt, and use the alt to level up runecrafting and outfitting on the side. There is no level requirements, so you can level it up to 300 without leveling the actual alt. Runebreak the stuff you make to level up runecrafting and you've got your basic supply for most runes.

Although it may be a little bit of a headache, you can take your alt to the places for turning in the crafting quests. Once you have the location you can just port to the area in the future. You'll probably easily level your alt into the 30's simply by turning in your dailies every day. They give good XP.

You never outgrow the potions like with the other crafted stuff, so it's better in the long run.

I wish I had done this my first time around, but too late now.

Telaran

Things you never outgrow - pots and enchants

If you go for potions, you have to use the other two professions to gather for it

If you go for enchants, which doesn't require gathering, you have two free spots. This fits perfectly with outfitting since it is the only crafting skill that requires only one gathering profession.

I went runecrafting, butchering, and outfitting. This was my first character and being able to make my own, enchanted, gear while leveling was very helpful. Also - bags! If you make any alts they'll immediately have good bags and enchants.

If you want pots more, then go apothecary.

Champion of Telara

Profession 1: Foraging (Gather your herbs for pots)

Profession 2:Mining (Gather your mines to make them into items to break the whetstones)

Profession 3:Runecrafting or Weaponsmithing. (Runecrafting for yourself since rune's can be expensive or Weaponsmithing to not pester other people with your stuff and break/make your own stones)

Generally i suggest Runecrafting and find someone else to craft/break what you get with mining.

Then again those professions are for anyone doing PvE..You want the pots and the whetstones for the insane damage bonuses they give.
    Last edited by potis; 05-23-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Ascendant

I have an alt with runecrafting and my rogue with apothecary. Crafted gear is all pretty meh right now and even the epic stuff is replaced early (even by blues from t2) so far.

My rogue: apothecary, foraging, butchering

I'm running around with about 40 health pots, 20 vials, 40 tonics, and some phials I never use at any given time.

Plane Touched

tripple gathering, you can away role alts to do you crafting and someone is always ready to make a few plat to rally you to the higher level ports to turn in dailies
    Just because its broke for blizzard doent mean its going to be broken on Rift.
    If you write off everything jerks can use to be jerks; you might as well just go play Olympic Wall Starring

Rift Disciple

Butchering, Outfitting, Runecrafting as has already been mentioned or Foraging, Butchering, Apothecary.

Apothecary and Runecrafting are the two most profitable and useful professions, I have found. There's always a market for consumables. Apothecary tends to be stronger for PvP and Runecrafting for PvE. But if you go Runecrafting you also get to make your own armor with Outfitter, so there's that to consider.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tibot View Post
    tripple gathering, you can away role alts to do you crafting and someone is always ready to make a few plat to rally you to the higher level ports to turn in dailies
    If anything I would suggest harvesting alts and triple crafting mains. The character you're going to run dungeons with is the one you want to have the tradeskills, so you can get the best patterns. But 3 gathering professions until 50 is not a bad idea, if only to make money until you can roll an alt to gather for crafting.

Note: it's pretty easy to have a 300 skill crafter that's a teen-level alt. They only need to leave town to get the porticulums for the crafting daily quests.

When I see Cobalt and Titanium Ores/Bars with the cheapest price over 20 gp each, I think everyone needs Mining.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazed59 View Post
    If anything I would suggest harvesting alts and triple crafting mains. The character you're going to run dungeons with is the one you want to have the tradeskills, so you can get the best patterns. But 3 gathering professions until 50 is not a bad idea, if only to make money until you can roll an alt to gather for crafting.
    thing about harvesting alts is that it would suck majorly trying to harvest in high level areas..

Plane Touched

Here is what has worked for me.

Foraging and mining - to me these two are an absolute must. I also have weapon crafting, and if I had to do it over again I would ditch the crafting prof. Thing about any crafting prof is that you are using materials for dailies that would be better off putting plat in your pocket. To this point in the game anyway.

If I could change one thing, I would sub in butchering for my weapon crafting. I bring in about 50p a day with about an hour spent on farming, depending on how saturated the areas I farm are with other players. On a bad day about 25p. Don't be afraid to hold on to mats for a few days if they are going for real cheap on the AH, it tends to spike a lot - at least on my server.

+ Reply to Thread