+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New rogue! MM/Ranger/Bard?

Default New rogue! MM/Ranger/Bard?

Hi! I just started the Rift trial a few days ago and ended up buying the game tonight, since I hit 15. I'm playing a rogue, currently MM/ranger/assassin, but I think I'll switch to MM/ranger/bard. Is this a decent role? Any tips? I'm not too interested in PvP.
    Laethys
    Lenna: Guardian / Dwarf / Cleric

Super Pani Land

Soulwalker

if your just going to be doing pve and dungeons then yeah mm/ranger/bard is great its got decent dps a pet and heals. happy gaming

Thanks for the quick reply! Should I focus my points into MM and bard, and mostly just use ranger for my pet?
    Laethys

Super Pani Land

Soulwalker

that's what i would do, pick up the abilities in ranger that will benefit your marksman abilities. Like the 5% crit the 4% more damage with ranged abilities and of course cripple shot which is just amazing. Then get what you want from marksman and bard. And with the last few points I would throw them into abilities that bump up your pets health and damage output.

Thanks again for the help!

I accidentally bought a second role when I was trying to reset my role (derp), so I've been playing around with a second set of souls. Right now I have Saboteur/Riftstalker/Ranger, but I'm thinking of switching Ranger or Riftstalker for Bladedancer.
    Laethys

Super Pani Land

Shadowlander

You should have one tree devoted to leveling as it makes solo-grinding much easier. This role can double as group DPS as well, while your second tree should be a bard heavy spec so you can switch from DPS to support.

For tree 1; go Ranger-MM-Bard (You won't be putting points into one tree)
    -You should pick up points in tree that buffs your pet in defense and offense. Defense offers you less downtime and less chance your pet will die. Offense ensures that you won't pull aggro off your pet. Ideally, you want to be able to streamline: Send pet > Attack > Kill Mob > Heal Pet::: Repeat
    -You can go early 8 points Bard for early 3/3 Invigorated Soul if you're having trouble keeping your pet alive.

Riftstalker has horrible synergy with any ranged soul, and using both should be avoided. In terms of most synergy, Ranger-MM-Bard is up there, with Saboteur coming close second.
    Last edited by Makix; 05-22-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Okay, I think I understand all that.

If my first role is MM/Ranger/Bard, should my second role focus on maximum DPS, assuming I'd use it when I have a healer? Or am I misunderstanding?
    Laethys

Super Pani Land

Soulwalker

If your second role is the Dungeon role it depends, not on the whether you have a healer but whether you have a tank , you can still go with the RNG/MM/BARD spec to dungeons as it should have enough dps on low lvl's. You could then for your other role just have a full Bard spec for the dungeon one so you can support if that is something you would not mind doing.

If you want a full dps spec for that other role go with either RNG/MM/Assassin(ranged) or BD/NB/Assassin(melee).

RIFT Guide Writer

Just couple of things to bare in mind.

If your not heavily specced into Ranger, your pets stops at 34 i think, but you should have enough utility in MM to survive most things after this.

As a suggestion, I would take Bard for your 2nd soul for 3 reasons.

1. Increase chances of dungeon finding, since theres millions of people DPSing.
    2. Support the Healer if their struggling
    3. We now can rez!! woo hoo.

This is just my point of view, not forcing you to do it however.

Just make sure that the group knows what your main spec is, and ask if you can needs on Off spec, if no one else needs it. Just plain nice

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftkiss View Post
    Just couple of things to bare in mind.

If your not heavily specced into Ranger, your pets stops at 34 i think, but you should have enough utility in MM to survive most things after this.
    its at 30 your pet will cap unless you got deep enough ranger to get the greater pets.

Also remember you can try out a tanking role as well, imo i LOVE rogue tanking myself, can be a bit tricky, but very rewarding if you can manage (51Riftstalker/8BladeDancer/7ranger is generally the best tank spec)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansanity View Post
    It was even funnier in certain other games; where a leather clad cow (heh heh) then shapeshifts into a completely unarmoured bear-tank... but no one really minded that... because it's maaaagic (whereas a mage isn't?!).

Quote Originally Posted by Superkoekje View Post
    If your second role is the Dungeon role it depends, not on the whether you have a healer but whether you have a tank , you can still go with the RNG/MM/BARD spec to dungeons as it should have enough dps on low lvl's. You could then for your other role just have a full Bard spec for the dungeon one so you can support if that is something you would not mind doing.

If you want a full dps spec for that other role go with either RNG/MM/Assassin(ranged) or BD/NB/Assassin(melee).
    I kind of like the idea of being BD/NB/Assassin for my second role. It'd be neat to have a ranged and a melee role.

I can purchase... three more, right? So I could always make a supporting bard as well, later on?
    Laethys

Super Pani Land

Soulwalker

Yes, you can get a total of 5 roles. I would use one of those to make a full bard spec for later on people always enjoy having a bard in the group.

Okay. I think I'll use my second role for now for melee DPS, and a third later on for full bard.

I'm a little worried at this point that I'm not using my points the best that I should be, but I can always reset them later to set my build up better.
    Laethys

Super Pani Land

Soulwalker

If your not sure where to put your points in just take a look around on the rogue forums there are some really good builds out there.

Champion

When you're leveling the only thing you have to worry about is if you can kill the mobs and move on to the next one fast.

+ Reply to Thread