+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting to level a Rogue alt. Tips woul be appreciated.

Default Starting to level a Rogue alt. Tips woul be appreciated.

Hello guys, I'm starting to level a Rogue alt, PvP focused. I am completely new to the class, my goal is to level up playing pvp and doing rifts/invasions. I read quite a lot of threads in the Rogue section, but honestly - the info is too much, I need practical experience to benefit from it.

Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated, but here are the main things that bug me:

1. What should be my starting soul? I want to level as fast as possible to start PvP-ing. All in all, what are the good Rogue builds for leveling/solo PvE?
    2. Any advice on low-level PvP and builds/best souls in particular?
    3. I have master weaponsmith on my Warrior. Is Outfitter a good choice for the Rogue?
    retired

*bump

Come on guys
    retired

#1 Tip for rolling rogue:

Don't.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Any constructive feedback will be much appreciated.
    retired

Telaran

Constructive tip:

Roll a mage.

I thought I was posting in the Rogues forum, not the Trolls section.
    retired

Soulwalker

I am currently lvl 33 and have three roles purchased so I usually have a self healing and ranged build put together to go along with the pvp build I am working on.

Riftstalker is great for survivability once you can drop the combo points into it. After you can drop 20ish points into it is also just plain fun to be able to planeshift all over the place. I don't see leeching poison in the assassin soul to be nearly as effective as everyone else does. I also don't see the huge benefit that Sin brings to the dps category.

Also, I find that Night Blade is much more useful if want stealth (or conceal) and to have the crowd control abilities, because you can sap enemies from a distance.

For self healing bard is also an option, it is good in groups because it adds to the parities overall well being. For me the drop off in dps is unacceptable though.

Ranger is useful for the pet, but I think that I like the ranged abilities of marksman a little bit better. I want to dump a bunch of points into both though because I see strafe and rapid fire shot as being a devestating combination, and i love how rain of arrows looks, whether it is all that useful or not. My major complaint with a ranged build is that while the AOE is great, the abilities don't add combo points (aoe that is). Also close quartes combat is must have for ranged.

My marksman/ranger/riftstalker build is what i can mow enemies down with the easiest. If I pay attention I can kill 6-10 same lvl enemies by using divert rage/aoe/switch targets/aoe/rejuvenate/burn them down. And if I jack it up I can use shadow shift to give me a head start running away.

I hope that is enough of a start to get you going.

My biggest suggestion though would be to not play this game like it's WoW. There are tons of options and although there maybe negligable differences from doing something one way rather than the other, every soul has unique abilities that bring benefits. Try and use everything, and then see what you like. I like to do dps, but riftstalker is so much fun i can't help but keep a build with it in.
    Last edited by nick8bean; 05-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.

When i was leveling up my rogue through the lower levels 1-30 i found Ranger/Bard/Rift a very effective build.You get the pet to tank for you ranger spec,Bard for some healing,and Rift for defensive capabilities.You will not kill things as fast as some other builds but it will be near impossible to kill you.

I think Assassin is a great roloe. It will take some time to get used to, but even before 1.2 a good rogue (like me) could tear through 2 people easily. Assassin Infiltrator is a good combo. I prefer Nightblade as a third soul for fiery spike. Big damage dot
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Oops, I forgot to mention I have great success with my sab. Top damage and kills
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Quote Originally Posted by KingBee View Post
    Constructive tip:

Roll a mage.
    For no-skill button mashing fun
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight

Thanks a lot, finally some normal opinions. I started ranger/marksman for the initial levelling, the pet certainly helps. Will test the PvP suggestions.

I haven't played WoW so I have no idea how to play Rift as it
    retired

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...on-with-Parses

This thread has some really good builds depending on the style of play you are after, good place to start. I personally prefer Sin/BD/Rngr, great burst damage and if they try and run I got a ranged AP builder and finisher from the Rngr. If you put 6 pts into the Rngr you get a snare and an attack power buff, not a bad investment while lvling up.

I began my Rogue as Ranger/Bard/xx. Choose your third soul to enhance your other souls. My reason for this build is that you begin your character with 0 pts into Ranger which gets you a pet tank.
    The pet taunts agro for you, leaving you able to kill mobs without taking any agro from the mobs.

When you get to level 15 I believe and are in Sanctum you can then begin obtaining all the other souls and choose from there.
    "Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it" - Ghandi

Era
    Champion of Telara

I've been playing a rogue alt through warfronts and have ~1000 lifetime kills so far...before level 20.

The trick is to have something like Sin/RS/NB for some fun times at melee range (as well as Rift Walk and Flame Spike for those occasions) and bash people in that go after your fang carrier (in BG, 10-19 bracket). You can also keep healers busy for quite a while and maybe even kill them.

Another fun spec is MM/Ranger. Using your mouse to move (holding both buttons down) and firing Swift Shot at people makes for some fun as well...then finishing them off with one of the 3 finishers. As a bonus, you also have much more survivability, although you WILL die to ranged focus fire.

I also happened to pick up the PvP soul for Break Free and Cloudy Poison. I'm not sure how much it's worth over a 3rd DPS soul, but Break Free is always useful and Cloudy Poison makes it a bit easier to take healers and mages down.

As for PvE, Ranger works well because of the pet. Bard is a good combo to have since it gives you early healing too.
    Last edited by Era; 05-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Era - Defiant - Byriel
    Former Owner of RiftLift

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast