+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Bard] The missed opportunity!

Default [Bard] The missed opportunity!

Soo, after a long hiatus from the game and from the forums I finally decided to make this thread I promised at the end of my amazingly long thread about the Bard and Support. This thread is going to be the last one from me for obvious reasons. A lot of us came to this game expecting something new after the 5 years that WoW has been, unfortunately for me I wasn't able to find it, and for me Rift will always be this thing that could have been godlike but ended up... average, truly a missed opportunity.

Why? Well it will be a pleasure to explain, but since I no longer have enough of the passion I used to have for this game, this explanation will be short compared to my usual posts:

- The Rift System should have been central to the game, the leveling should have been based around Rifts instead of quests, Dungeons should have been special 5-man rifts, raid rifts should be more accessible. Not focusing more on the Rift system and making it the real core of the game PvE-wise with more content, rewards, and gameplay, or PvP wise by using the Defiant/Guardian invasions system to create RvR, a missed opportunity.

- Trion used the Soul System as an excuse to develop half-backed souls. Instead of supporting players creations, they have nerfed them, negating the function of this system. Also by making the switching oif souls an excuse for making souls so narrow-minded and inflexible, Trion killed the sense of character, people don't see their character as an archer or a bard, but as a gigantic mismatch of all possible roles. Not tapping the true potential of customization and developing each souls, another missed opportunity.

- Support has been betrayed. Where people expected a role that could stand proudly in the face of other trinity based games, we ended with a failure. Boring gameplay, impossibility to be efficient as a Support without 19 other guys, severe dependence over other. The Support role in this game is shameful. Even more surprising when you take into account the fact that the Lead Designer of this game came from EQ which had great Support with responsibilities and great gameplay. Supporting the Support role only in vain words, another missed opportunity.

Personally, my greatest regret will always be to not have been able to be awesome as a Bard. For me this will always my greatest missed opportunity in any MMO I have played.
    Last edited by ControlBlue; 05-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    ============ The Bard Soul Need A Total Rework! ============
    How to Make Bards More Fun! - Active Motifs vs. Passive Motifs.
    Bards Mechanics, Why They Are Lame - A Featured article on Rift Junkie discussing the Bard.
    The Bard as Pure Support - A 25+ page Thread on the role of Support and how it hold back Bards.
    Support/DPS Bard Prototype Soul - A prototype good Bard that would belong in the Rogue calling.

A GOOD Saboteur Prototype Soul Tree! - No need for Nerfs!!

Rift Chaser

Your last thread? Good.

Also how do you have a long hiatus from a game thats been out less than 4 months. Good riddance, wont miss the QQ.

The more of your kind gone from this game, so that the ones of us that enjoy it can play without having you heard all the QQ, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

You can always tell who played WOW, they always think this is a good MMO when it's very clear the secs already dropped the ball and are continuing to make Rift a bigger and bigger disappointment. GL Controlblue, maybe I'll see you in TOR.
    Briarqueue

Rift Chaser

I love how people ****** and moan and complain about this game, but then continue to keep playing and posting on here. If you dont like it quit playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Why are you telling him/her what to do? This post is very reasonable and the OP has some very valid points. It is always worth listening before you open your mouth, or in this context type. Rudeness is not a talent, it comes from small thinkers.
    "Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it" - Ghandi

Plane Walker

Every MMO will be the same:

1. Folks climax constantly about how amazing it's going to be before it goes to beta. The reason for this is that they so desperately WANT it to be amazing. And, since it's not <insert their current mmo here>, it must be.
    2. Folks become fanbois in beta, telling everyone how "it's just beta" and "everything will be fixed/better/etc." by launch.
    3. Game goes live and folks pretend that it's going to be just as fresh and new at lvl 50 as it was on the first day. It's like a big gaming orgy to get to level 50.
    4. Level 50 comes, the buzz wears off, and folks realize it's the same as every other MMO they've played.

This will happen again and again. It's been happening since the first MUDs came out in the early 90s. Humans refuse to learn from history.

My big mistake was assuming this game was a pvp game.
    Briarqueue

Shadowlander

Personally, I love the soul system. After playing WoW for 6 years as a rogue, it gets REAL boring having all 3 specs melee based. It forced you to level alts to avoid boredom.

At least with this soul system, there are many different ways to play the game.

Finally, perhaps part of your issue was not finding the right guild or group of people. The only thing that kept WoW fun was all the people I met in game, and talked to on vent everyday. Honestly, without the people you meet, every MMO would loose its appeal much faster.

Either way, gaming is a hobby to me not a career, and I enjoy it.

There are two categories of players in my mind. Those who want to be on the highest dps bench and those who want to have fun mixing and matching their souls.
    The guilds that want only the best highest dps builds will find each other and those who want to think outside the box are welcomed as idea thinkers who are willing to try anything for the sake of it and because Rift allows for this. I am in the former guild. We do very well, laugh most of the day all the way to the soul healers, yet we still complete our missions.
    I will take fun over seriousness any day.
    "Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it" - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Noburu View Post
    Your last thread? Good.

Also how do you have a long hiatus from a game thats been out less than 4 months. Good riddance, wont miss the QQ.

The more of your kind gone from this game, so that the ones of us that enjoy it can play without having you heard all the QQ, the better.
    Yeah, you guys will be able to stay in your little group enjoying your stuff and shrugging at how the rest of the world don't understand how awesome your game is. Good for you.

Anyway, this will indeed be my last thread in this game, I didn't really wanted it to be a QQ thread but when starting it I felt the urge to share my disappointment, was probably a mistake. Anyway, what I really would like to discuss is what could have been done to make the Bard better, my true disappointment with this game other than the grotesque pvp experience this game has is that Scott Hartsman decided to hate on Bards and make them lame. Now that I know more about Support in or out of this game, I agree that it can be a role that could have helped the Bard soul prosper if Trion actually tried to create gameplay around it. Anyway, to cut short what would you have wanted the Bard to be or have?

Personally, I wish I could have been able to kill **** fast with THE POWER OF ROCK'N'ROLLLL!
    Bards Mechanics, Why They Are Lame - A Featured article on Rift Junkie discussing the Bard.
    The Bard as Pure Support - A 25+ page Thread on the role of Support and how it hold back Bards.
    Support/DPS Bard Prototype Soul - A prototype good Bard that would belong in the Rogue calling.

Telaran

bards r fun imo when u r in the mood with the right spec they have lots of utility, heals and motifs obviously, ccing is fun, debuffs and with the right spec u can take alot of focus damage from the opposing faction and by doing that u keep it off of your squishies/healers and im sure there r some nice dps bard specs

I think what a lot of people are missing from the Op's post, is that as he mentioned the lead designer was from EQ. Now I'm not going to toot the EQ horn, but I think I had a lot of the same expectations for Bards as he did in this game. Bards in EQ1 were the most amazing support class I have ever played. He was the jack of all trades and the master of none, He could fly, run at incredible speeds, twist songs (motifs) Didn't need los to do damage to npc's in most cases. elemental dmg resists, and actually used instruments to increase the power of certain songs and abilities instead of weapons

Like the Op I miss the dynamic utilitarianism of a Bard like EQ's and was so hoping that rift would be the next generation MMO to bring back some of the fun abilities we old school Bards had in EQ1.

Bards in Rift were a bit of a disappointment to me, but that is because I expected something else. and did not see the major nerf rogues got coming after launch. In hind sight I wish i had rolled my Mage 1st. but that is the way of MMO's today, and no use crying about it. All I can say is it would have been nice, but I still love the game and the soul system, just wish they would've created a separate set of Souls for PvP so PvE souls would quit getting nerfed so much, No MMO, has ever been able to balance both evenly in the same game. It only works when you keep them separate. PvP game or a PvE game, because both together makes balancing a circus act, and neither venue will be completely satisfied with the results.

Overall, Rift has some good Ideas, and added a fresh dynamic to the MMO genre with Rifts, and Invasions. Right now Rogue Souls still need a lot of fine tuning, But Trion is working on it and at least acknowledges that they do.

Peace
    DooM

I would kill for a single-target run speed increase, that would have been so much fun in PvP and still fit the Support "label".

But hey, isn't happening, the way this community see the Bard they are certainly going to buff the passive buffs instead and dumb down the soul even more and make it even more artificially needed!

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ControlBlue View Post
    Trion killed the sense of character, people don't see their character as an archer or a bard, but as a gigantic mismatch of all possible roles. Not tapping the true potential of customization and developing each souls, another missed opportunity.

I kinda sorta agree with you on this but only barely. I consider my rogue a ranger, and have since beta. I may have other souls I can switch to for certain situations - but 90% of the time this is what I am and it is what I want my character to be.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mondays View Post
    You can always tell who played WOW, they always think this is a good MMO when it's very clear the secs already dropped the ball and are continuing to make Rift a bigger and bigger disappointment. GL Controlblue, maybe I'll see you in TOR.
    I agree with you in some aspects. I am finding a bit of disappointment of it not living up to the hype. I am not a long time WoW'er. I have played MMOs for a long time and have much experience other places (UO, EQ, Lineage/II, FFXI, even a bit of WoW to my own chagrin) but have the same sort of deflated feeling after watching the devs promise so much "dynamic" and "unique" content only to see it become homogonized.

I cant agree with your last statement about TOR though. Have you done any testing on that steaming pile? It looks and plays as if it was developed in 1996.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast