+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Early game tanking

Soulwalker

Default Early game tanking

After coming back from a short break from Rift, I decided to roll a rogue. I'm loving my Marksman build so far, but I've always wanted to try the Rogue's tank soul.

However, I'm not sure at what level a Rogue has enough tools and damage reduction to tank. Any specific level I should wait for? I'm a level 19 at the moment, and I figure Guardian Phase is probably one of the more crucial buffs to be able to tank as a Riftstalker.

Thanks in advance!

Rift Chaser

You can start tanking at any level. I tanked my way through every instance all the way to 50. I didnt start dpsing until 50. As long as you have at or near level appropriate gear, you should be able to tank any normal instance fine.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McpV.x0z.xcp0uoz

Thats a decent starter build. You want to always use guardian phase, planebound resilience, anthem of glory, and fanfare of vigor. Use shadow assault/ shadow stalk/ shadow shift to shift into a group of enemies. This will give you a 15% physical damage reduction buff while you build up combo points to get up your main buffs. Immediately after shifting, use rift disturbance. It gives an attack and spell power debuff and provides aoe aggro for group pulls.

Next you should use planar strike/phantom blow to get 2-3 combo points and use rift guard. Next you should get 2-3 points and use guarded steel. From there just alternate 5pt rift guard and 5pt guarded steel. Use phantom bow as your first combo point each time to keep up its 6% damage reduction.

During the fight you should also use rift disturbance every time its up. It should be able to keep aggro on a group of mobs all by itself, but it is still good practice to alternate to a new mob after each finisher. If you still run into aggro problems you may need to tab through the mobs and use one planar strike on each one time after you get your initial rift guard and guarded steel up.

You dont necessarily have to use 5pt finishers, just make sure rift guard and guarded steel buffs dont fall off. You can use annihilate if you find yourself with plenty of time on rift guard and guarded steel, but I just refresh my buffs early as the extra attack power doesnt help your damage out much at all (especially with guardian phase active.

Bladedancer will give you sidesteps which is a good oh **** button to hit if you start taking to much damage or on hard pulls, but note it isnt effective against casters. On pulls where shifting in isnt advisable, you can use cadence from bard to build up a quick 3 combo points and then hit riftguard, followed by rift disturbance when the mobs reach you.

I know this seems like a lot to do and watch (and it is), but after a few runs it will all become second nature to you.
    Last edited by Noburu; 05-21-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

I started taking with that spec (I filled Great Fortitude before Rift Barrier), at level 18, with no problems at all

Noburu pretty much covered it. Put your buffs on asap, no need to wait for a full 5pt combo. Put a 2-3 rift guard, 2-3 Guarded Steel, and then you can start to reapply 5pt buffs.

Keep filling RS tree, when you have leftover points spend them in Quick Reflexes. You dont need DPS after-shifting-buffs for now (+crit, +speed, etc), focus on getting what makes you more resilient.

Tanking with a rogue is f*ing great and fun, you will enjoy it

Rift Chaser

Woops yeah i just slapped that together real fast while at work. Should have been 5/5 Great Fortitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

+ Reply to Thread