+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need guide for T1,T2 tanking ! not Raid

Telaran

Default Need guide for T1,T2 tanking ! not Raid

hi guys can anyone link nice guide for Riftstalker tanking for Tier 1 and Tier 2 dungeons.

include macros+routations

thx.
    My spec -> intel i7-950(o.c) 4Ghz , DDR 3 2000 mhz Dominator-GT, Asus Gtx580 DC II SLI (o/c),Asus Rampage III Extreme black Edition , G9x logitech mouse, G19 keyboard logitech
    Samsung 3d 120hz LCD 21inch , Raid 0 SSD 160 GB , 1 TB Raptor WD,50mb Internet NGN.

Ascendant

Well, macros and rotations depend a bit on how you've specced your Riftstalker build, but the general concepts are the same.

Combo Builders:
    • Phantom Blow: Less threat, stacks the Phantom Blow buff (2% damage reduction per stack, 3 stack max [6% DR])
    • Planar Strike: More threat

Finishers:
    • Guarded Steel: Buffs your armor (physical damage reduction) and threat generation. CPs increase duration
    • Rift Guard: Absorbs up to 35% of incoming damage. CPs increase duration and total absorption amount before shield drops.
    • Annihilate: Buffs your attack power
    • False Blade: If you specced deep enough into Blade Dancer to get this, buffs Dodge by 5%. Can buff Parry by 6% as well, but generally not worth the loss of Riftstalker points.

Plane Shifts:
    • Shadow Blitz: Teleports to your target and attacks with a high-threat AoE
    • Shadow Assault: Teleports to your target and attacks with a heavy direct damage
    • Shadow Warp: Teleports to any location in a 25 meter radius
    • Shadow Shift: Teleports 15 meters forward
    • Flashback: Teleports to Memory Capture point from any location in a 50 meter radius of it.

Cooldowns:
    • Planar Refuge: Reduces damage received by 30% for 10 seconds
    • Sidesteps: If you spec Blade Dancer secondary, increases Dodge Change by 50% for 15 seconds
    • Scatter the Shadows: Clears all curable debuffs and makes you immune to all damage for 3 seconds
    • Defer Death: Absorbs all damage for the next 10 seconds, then spikes your health for the total absorbed damage. Very risky, use with extreme caution.

Miscellaneous Abilities:
    • Rift Disturbance: Very high-threat AoE, reduces attack/spell power of affected targets
    • Planar Switch: Transfers all CPs from previous target to current target, assuming the previous target still has CPs on it.

The basic idea with a Riftstalker is to open the pull with a plane shift whenever possible. This gives you Rift Barrier, which is a less-effective version of Rift Guard, and several other temporary buffs. From there, you want to get your mitigation set up as quickly as possible -- Riftstalkers have a bit of ramp-up time to get all of their protection in place, and the opening moments of a pull are the most dangerous and stressful for your healer.

Generally speaking, you want to do the following:
    Plane Shift (Assault or Blitz)->Phantom Blow x2->Rift Guard
    Phantom Blow (total stack is now 3)->Planar Strike x2->Guarded Steel
    Phantom Blow (maintain stack)->Planar Strike x4->False Blade/Annihilate (If you have false blade, use that, else Annihilate)

From there, it's just a matter of refreshing your finishers. Phantom Blow to maintain your stack, four Planar Strikes for CPs and threat, then whichever finisher needs to be refreshed. In general, your priority should be:

Rift Guard > Guarded Steel > False Blade > Annihilate

If you're having threat issues with your group, you may consider putting up Guarded Steel before Rift Guard. If you're desperate for threat and your healer is very good, you may consider opening with Planar Strike x3->Guarded Steel, but you will be taking a lot more damage this way.

Single target fights are dead simple, just use the rotations above. In addition to those, use Rift Disturbance enough to keep the debuff on the target (once every 14 seconds or so), because the damage reduction does matter.

Multi-Target fights should use Rift Disturbance and Shadow Blitz on cooldown to maintain threat. In these cases, you generally want to insert a Disturbance after your opening Blitz, before going into your normal rotations. This generates a lot of snap threat and pretty much guarantees mobs will be stuck to you.

If you need to LoS pull, that's what Flashback is for. Set your Memory Capture point well behind the corner or directly behind the object you're going to LoS with, then open with Blitz->Disturbance->Flashback. This gives you a lot of snap threat on the whole group (or as many as possible), and then gets you back to safety immediately. Your healer can top you off again without fear of pulling threat this way. If you notice a caster is left behind and attacking one of your group members, consider stepping out, using Shadow Assault into a few Planar Strikes, then Shadow Shifting back to your corner.

Champion

Spec: You can do two things here,
    51 RS/8 BD/7 Bard -or-
    44 RS/14 BD/8 Bard

The latter is emphatically not recommended until you get gear; losing StS and 10% of your health is not for beginners. The reason you could consider it is for the interrupt and snare. (Variants on this spec just go 12 BD for the interrupt; the snare is rarely if ever necessary)

Macros: Whatever. Macro Reprisal to everything, though, e.g.

#show Phantom Blow
    cast Reprisal
    cast Phantom Blow

etc.

I still think that RS/Ranger/Bard is idiotic, in instances or even raids, because the loss of Side Steps basically means you have a single cooldown.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Telaran

I'd add two things:
    Get 51 points in RS. It really is worth it to get the extra hp/mitigation. The interrupt from BD is arguable, but I'd rather work around not having an interrupt than gimp myself to get it. Port in, planar strike/taunt and memory recall to a los position usually works.

For pulls, if neither you nor your healer are well geared and skilled it's often a good idea to pop a CD to help until you get your finishers up. Side Steps or Planar Refuge are both good for that.

RIFT Guide Writer

The above posts are pretty staple macros that you need. I personally use RS/ BD/ Ranger (Did you RS/ BD/ Bard but didnt like it)

If you have a pack thats quite spreadout and is just out of the Radius of Rift Distrubance (Such as the Last 5 before the Werewolf boss), I personally do the below:

Pop SideStep (Planer Refuge for Caster packs), Blitz to most central mob, Planar Attraction, then Rift Disturbance. You'll pull all the casters on top of you aswell, and you dont have to worry about targeting the Caster mob that out of the limb and hitting instigate.

Or if the Caster is further out on the limb, use your judgement to gauge the most central mob between the last melee and the caster

e.g.

Melee: M
    Caster: C

C M M M C
    ^
    Blitz this guy

or

M M M M C<---out on limb
    ^
    Blitz this guys

I find that i lose track of the timing of my buffs, if i have to worry about the 1 casters that burning down the rest of the group.

The above is just my personal preference, you might find something that works for you.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftkiss View Post
    The above posts are pretty staple macros that you need. I personally use RS/ BD/ Ranger (Did you RS/ BD/ Bard but didnt like it)

If you have a pack thats quite spreadout and is just out of the Radius of Rift Distrubance (Such as the Last 5 before the Werewolf boss), I personally do the below:

Pop SideStep (Planer Refuge for Caster packs), Blitz to most central mob, Planar Attraction, then Rift Disturbance. You'll pull all the casters on top of you aswell, and you dont have to worry about targeting the Caster mob that out of the limb and hitting instigate.

Or if the Caster is further out on the limb, use your judgement to gauge the most central mob between the last melee and the caster

e.g.

Melee: M
    Caster: C

C M M M C
    ^
    Blitz this guy

or

M M M M C<---out on limb
    ^
    Blitz this guy

I find that i lose track of the timing of my buffs, if i have to worry about the 1 casters that burning down the rest of the group.

The above is just my personal preference, you might find something that works for you.
    Bleh diagrams clearly dont work on forums very well..lol

Ignore the diagram, but you get my jist, i hope..

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    Spec: You can do two things here,
    51 RS/8 BD/7 Bard -or-
    44 RS/14 BD/8 Bard

The latter is emphatically not recommended until you get gear; losing StS and 10% of your health is not for beginners. The reason you could consider it is for the interrupt and snare. (Variants on this spec just go 12 BD for the interrupt; the snare is rarely if ever necessary)

Macros: Whatever. Macro Reprisal to everything, though, e.g.

#show Phantom Blow
    cast Reprisal
    cast Phantom Blow

etc.

I still think that RS/Ranger/Bard is idiotic, in instances or even raids, because the loss of Side Steps basically means you have a single cooldown.
    51point rs specs are just so useless.... you are losing 6% at ost also by going 44 rs...

Telaran

How is 51 pts RS useless? Compared to 44 pts you lose 7% extra endurance bonus, 35% extra absorb and 3.5% mitigation. This is not counting Scatter the Shadows which is quite nice for those "Oh crap!" situations.

Tanking experts is quite doable with 44 pts RS, but why would you want to? Do you want 6% extra avoidance with parry, or 3.5% extra guaranteed mitigation as well as a couple hundred extra HP to soak up the punishment? The parry is affected by the RNG and you'll spike more. Granted a skilled healer would be able to deal with the spikes, but why force him to blow his CD's when you don't have to?

Rift Disciple

Here's what I'm running (and doing)

51 Riftstalker (For all the above reasons)
    12 BladeDancer (for the interrupt silence. Thinking about changing this but there's just a couple bosses where you want to be sure to have a interrupt for.)
    2 Ranger (for the opener)

Opening movers (simplified)
    (Ranger) Splinter Shot, (RS) Shadow Assault, (RS) Rift Guard - uses up the 3 combo points applied to target.

Then depending on situation
    (RS) Rift Disturbance or (RS) Planar Attraction followed by Rift Disturbance. This locks and gets agro on multiple enemies around you.

Followed up by
    Switch Target
    3x (RS) Phantom Blows, (RS) Guardian Steel.

Switch Target
    3x (RS) Planar Strike, (BD) FalseBlade

Switch Target
    repeat.

Use Rift Disturbance when up and facing multiple targets.

My biggest issue is when targeting large groups of mobs. Every now and then I'll get one or two that breaks free and I have to taunt back into the group I'm tanking.

To avoid this issue, here's what I like to do.
    Talking to Party - "Everyone target the creature marked number 1. Do NOT target through me as I will be switching targets. Single target the #1 marked creature till at 75% health. THEN you can AoE. By this time I should have enough threat built up on the others to keep them on me."

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by 420MySTiC View Post
    51point rs specs are just so useless.... you are losing 6% at ost also by going 44 rs...
    LOL

You take your 6%.

I'll instead have 7% extra endurance bonus, 35% extra absorb and 3.5% mitigation like the above poster said.

PLUS I'll get 3 seconds of god mode for when you get stuck in a sticky situation, which is basically a full health bar if your healer is any good, and also pick up the very best AoE aggro/Pulling/Stacking ability in the game.

hah
    Looking for a mature, casual guild focused on having fun?
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

+ Reply to Thread