+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Bard silenced? Why?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple DaniWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default Bard silenced? Why?

    I love to play a bard in PVP, however I find it absolutely ridiculous that I can get silenced and unable to do anything except throwing fiery spike.

    I'm not a mage or a cleric, I don't cast spells, I play a lute.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaniWes View Post
    I love to play a bard in PVP, however I find it absolutely ridiculous that I can get silenced and unable to do anything except throwing fiery spike.

    I'm not a mage or a cleric, I don't cast spells, I play a lute.
    0/10

    How does a lute (or voice, or other instrument) work?
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple DaniWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    0/10

    How does a lute (or voice, or other instrument) work?

    0/10

    With your hands, cause it's a guitar.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    And plucking the strings makes NOISE, which is SOUND. And if you're silenced then you can't make SOUND.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple bodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Bard also can be disarmed ><
    And Infiltrator talent affect only disarm (Grip Like Steel)
    Bard still need reworked

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple DaniWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    And plucking the strings makes NOISE, which is SOUND. And if you're silenced then you can't make SOUND.
    Lol you didn't make any sense and you still don't.
    Rank 4 Cleric (Inquisicar) [retired]
    Rank 6 Rogue (Sin, Sab or NB) [retired]
    Retired from Rift due to a lack of PVP content and increasing server instability.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaniWes View Post
    Lol you didn't make any sense and you still don't.
    The fact that oyu dont understand it has nothing to do with my explanation and everything to do with your deficiencies in comprehension.

    Bards work by generating noise, silence stops noise. I don't see what's so hard to understand here.
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  8. #8
    General of Telara I Fear Kittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    LOST In translation
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaniWes View Post
    I love to play a bard in PVP, however I find it absolutely ridiculous that I can get silenced and unable to do anything except throwing fiery spike.

    I'm not a mage or a cleric, I don't cast spells, I play a lute.
    sounds like another rogue (BD) flung a his dagger (weapons barrage) @ you and hit you smack dab between the eyes

    lol sorry about your bad luck
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall piss you off." Norse Proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    When it's ready...... You wouldn't want it released before it was ready, right? And you wouldn't want us to hold it back after it was ready, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollolololol View Post
    I am honored to have made your /ignore list

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    The fact that oyu dont understand it has nothing to do with my explanation and everything to do with your deficiencies in comprehension.

    Bards work by generating noise, silence stops noise. I don't see what's so hard to understand here.


    ok correct me if i'm wrong:

    the original meaning to being silenced, however long ago it was, was that your voice was silenced and could not utter chants to make spells work. nothing to do with the noise that came from your general area.

    10/10 OP has a point
    Last edited by Stormchild; 05-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
    ok correct me if i'm wrong:

    the original meaning to being silenced, however long ago it was, was that your voice was silenced and could not utter chants to make spells work. nothing to do with the noise that came from your general area.

    10/10 OP has a point
    I understand your point but this is not DnD

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    The point of being silenced is that you can't cast spells. Are bard songs spells? Technically no, but you need to have some mechanic to stop them and being silenced makes a whole lot more sense than being disarmed stopping you. Bard songs work through music from instruments and/or singing. Both of those require noise to work, so being silenced makes sense. You can't disarm someone's voice box.

    Why can't clerics use their melee attacks while silenced? Apparently they need to make angry noises while they swing or they can''t hit anything? There are small inconsistancies between what you would expect in the real world and what happens in game world.

    Stuff happens. /shrug
    I'M RIFTSTALKING YOUR MUM!

    I've found that Warriors are like Feminists. They want equality when it suits them, but the rest of the time they want to be treated special.

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Why can't clerics use their melee attacks while silenced? Apparently they need to make angry noises while they swing or they can''t hit anything?
    So if we "silenced" the Williams sisters it would mean that they couldnt play tennis! So thats why their so OP..hehe

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Let's just say that it creates a field of silence surrounding you and anything you're holding. Therefore, nothing relying on sound is able to be accomplished.

    Clerics' melee attacks supposedly require a chant of some sort. Or a "Call Your Attacks" type of effect. So, since they can't say it, "The Light" or whatever it is they call their powers upon gives them a "Wtf, say my name." look.

    This doesn't include chatting, because we chat using telepathy.

    Which means that everyone in Telara is a telepath.

    ...WHY CAN'T WE PLAY LUTES AND SING SONGS TELEPATHICALLY?!!

    Suspension of belief is at its breaking point!!!
    Last edited by AbstractBlueSky; 05-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.

  14. #14
    oui
    oui is offline
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I don't feel bards should be silenced because we do physical + life damage - we're not mana using casters.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oui View Post
    I don't feel bards should be silenced because we do physical + life damage - we're not mana using casters.
    to take a peek at WoW (sorry!), there were non-mana using classes that would still be affected by silence. take warriors for example, giant bar of rage, no manas. silence still stopped them from using Thunderclap among other things. so, while your point isn't without validity, it's also not without precedent for this behavior. do you really expect to be an un-interruptable healer, even if it's a 'support' healer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts