+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking a solo BD build

Shadowlander

Default Seeking a solo BD build

I've been playing my rogue ranged for a bit now, and would like to add a melee build as well. But due to my family obligations, it too, has to be able to solo fairly well.

I like the concept behind the blade dancer, but haven't been able to find too much about them. Are BDs any good at soloing? And what other classes pair well with them?

Thank you for your time!

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Carandrian View Post
    I've been playing my rogue ranged for a bit now, and would like to add a melee build as well. But due to my family obligations, it too, has to be able to solo fairly well.

I like the concept behind the blade dancer, but haven't been able to find too much about them. Are BDs any good at soloing? And what other classes pair well with them?

Thank you for your time!
    BD's great for soloing normal mobs. Not sure what you want to solo. Something like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...R0dz.0iRcx0b0z

That will solo well. You can dodge mobs well, perma-stealth, get lots of damage + combo points for faster finishers, and can get a heal by leaving combo points on a mob you're finishing off (Rift Scavenger). You get a phase shift + stun/root break in Shadow Stalk. Make a macro with Reprisal, Disengage, Puncture, Precision Strike, Quick Strike and Keen Strike all stacked up and just spam it for combo points, then finish with Deadly. Can kill multiple mobs with Twin Strike + Compound Attack, with a Dancing Steel every so often for huge killing. It's simple and effective for wiping out normal mobs while soloing.

General of Telara

This is the build I use for soloing quests / minor rift. It is a ton of fun imo with all the shadow shifting you can do and fun AoE from Dancing Steel. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VG0Iho00z.0VRc

I use a 1 - button macro cause why not? I can't remember it off by heart cause I'm at work right now, but it is something like this...

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flash of Steel
    cast Disengage
    cast Reprisal
    cast Weapon Barrage
    cast Blade Tempo
    cast Double Coup
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Puncture
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

AoE
    #show Twin Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike

And you got 4 finishers to have fun with, but with the Deadly Dance buff that's all I tend to use now. This spec is the reason I love to do dailies :P
    Last edited by Vitto; 05-19-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Shadowlander

Thank you for your responses! Both specs linked above seem quite interesting.

I'm assuming the RS heavy one has more survivability while the Sim heavy one is a faster killer? Pardon my limited rogue knowledge.

Thanks!

Plane Walker

Thank you for your responses! Both specs linked above seem quite interesting.

I'm assuming the RS heavy one has more survivability while the Sim heavy one is a faster killer? Pardon my limited rogue knowledge.

Thanks!
    Pretty much, what I run, sort of a best of both worlds bent (combat culimnation goes a long way) (well slightly different, I went for a

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...RMbz.0iMfx0b0z

I sit at 20% dodge, 12% parry with CC and False Blade up, perma stealth that is as fast as my normal stealth, plus sidesteps for OH HELL buttons, leeching poison for self-heals, massive crit (5% lethal poison 5% ruthlessness 5% Dauntless strike 3% from CC) with huge crits from magnify pain, a pretty much static 34% damage bonus (turn the tides + Cruel Vengeance -- each 10% and soloing you should dodge or crit once every 10 seconds + 4 from Murderous Intent -- 10% for bd abilities (Which are primarily all you use) from vivacity))

Plus all the standard BD goodies, need something dead quick? Deadly Strike, deadly dance will spike ~1.5k damage in three hits. Big pull? Sidesteps + dancing steel, everything dies.

Big changes from the first build are pretty much rearranging points for combat culmination/Blade Finesse over the points in the dex boost (3% dodge, parry, crit > 12% dex, at least until you are EXTREMELY geared) and going up the more defensive side in riftstalker -- 20% more armor, 15% more end (15% more hp) -- so it's slightly less offensive, but much more defensive.. best of both worlds

oh and silent footsteps because I never use puncture and prefer to not move sloooooow

Champion of Telara

Here you go. I have 2 roles for BD, depending.

My main role is:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0ARftobodbk.V

Main Spammable Macro:

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Reprisal
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Puncture
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Backstab
    cast Keen Strike
    cast Blast Charge

Finisher Macro:

#show Deadly Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Deadly Strike
    cast Detonate

Stun/interupt Macro:

#show Foul Play
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Foul Play
    cast Weapon Barrage

Opener Macro:

#show Jagged Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Poison Malice
    cast Blade Tempo
    cast Jagged Strike

This is just my good all around build and what I use 90% of the time. It's my solo PvE build, and my main PvP build at the same time.

My other role is almost exactly like the above, but I switch out Assassin for Nightblade. I switch to this role when I'm in PvP and the other side gets some hard to kill cleric on their team. I use the fellblades to debuff their healing taken by 50% to make it considerable easier for my team to take them down. It's not bad DPS spec otherwise, but no fulll time stealth/speed and it has more of a build up type of rolling DPS(good for those hard to kill healers).

It has the highest possible burst in game for a rogue. The problem is you don't control when and it's situational. Like tonight I was in Scion and I had a stone. I had like 3 melee mobs hitting me and another rogue opened up on me. I was @ 10% health, using this spec. I popped side steps(50% extra dodge), and I killed the guy in about 2 seconds. Near instant 5 CP points in that time. Then I killed the mobs. I'm sure he wasn't happy. But getting hit = DPS gain. Which is also nasty in solo PvE.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...d.VhtzG0gRoo.V

I add 1 more point into BD for the stun, since we lose Foul Play out of assassin. It's not as good as you need to dodge, but it comes up when melee hit on you etc, so still good.

Macros are basically the same, swap out the obvious things like foul play. You can add scourge of darkness to the finisher if you want, but sometimes you might just want to deadly strike for the "now" damage, instead of the building DPS of scourge, so I don't recommend it. Maintain Fiery Spike and all that normal NB stuff. Twilight Shelter is awesome for this as well because when you open up on the healer people like to start hitting you, and with Twilight Shelter pyros will hit you for like 40 damage crits. So if they focus fire you, it's even better because your team will be able to hit on the cleric longer.

Shadowlander

Being that my rogue is only 25 so far, would it be best to focus on the BD, Sin or RS while building toward one of the suggested builds?

Thanks.

Soulwalker

Being that my rogue is only 25 so far, would it be best to focus on the BD, Sin or RS while building toward one of the suggested builds?

Thanks.
    I would go sin to 21, then BD.

it would be better to level with a pet though till 30.

so ranger till 30, then 21 sin, rest in BD pump BD then rift last.

At least that's how I've been doing it... and enjoying myself.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Acteon View Post
    I would go sin to 21, then BD.

it would be better to level with a pet though till 30.

so ranger till 30, then 21 sin, rest in BD pump BD then rift last.

At least that's how I've been doing it... and enjoying myself.
    What am I specifically aiming at, in 21 Sin?

RIFT Guide Writer

As soon as you can put 13 into RS, do so, it makes levelling SO much easier, you have 0 downtime for healing with rift scavenger.

When you can add in the energy reclaim for leftover CP as well from BD, you become a cuisinart.

This is my thread on this spec, from 1.1, so its even better now
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ve-my-PVE-spec...

Includes videos.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vitto View Post
    This is the build I use for soloing quests / minor rift. It is a ton of fun imo with all the shadow shifting you can do and fun AoE from Dancing Steel. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...VG0Iho00z.0VRc

I use a 1 - button macro cause why not? I can't remember it off by heart cause I'm at work right now, but it is something like this...

#show Keen Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Flash of Steel
    cast Disengage
    cast Reprisal
    cast Weapon Barrage
    cast Blade Tempo
    cast Double Coup
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Puncture
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

AoE
    #show Twin Strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Rift Disturbance
    cast Twin Strike

And you got 4 finishers to have fun with, but with the Deadly Dance buff that's all I tend to use now. This spec is the reason I love to do dailies :P
    dont use the 6% heal, it increase RS by 1.8%? or something just as meaningless - Use instead 5 pts in Great fortitude

Champion of Telara

Thanks.
    With the spec I gave(28BD/32AS/5Sab) you pretty much can't go wrong in either of the 2 main trees. They both have their advantages.

With assassin you get perma stealth which is good for skipping mobs and getting around undetected. You open up on mobs with quick damage that can tear up single targets. And when you come across 2 mobs, you can easily just sap 1 and kill them both quick. Sap 1 mob, kill the other quick. Stealth won't be up, so pump 5 blast charges into the sapped mob, then detonate and you start with the 2nd mob at half health.

With bladedancer, you have good sustainable damage, with some really big boosts. Instead of sapping 1 mob, you'll probably want that extra mob hitting on your(and you dodging) to increase your DPS and you can take both of them down quick. But you won't be able to stealth by mobs without the stealth and so on.

If you are going to just level up as fast as you can killing every mob you see and doing quests, go bladedancer. If you are doing some PvP and sometimes just want to turn in a quest for the bonus xp and go on to the next one, then go assassin first.

Either way you are already at a level where you can begin to enjoy both, and should have 1 of them filled up in a few levels for all it's benefits.

Telaran

This is what I did and I'd highly recommend it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_666_23x2g

Shadowlander

I level through quests and mob kills. I don't PvP, so that's not a consideration. I just don't want to panic or run every time I get an add.

Soulwalker

What am I specifically aiming at, in 21 Sin?
    21 sin gives perm stealth.

it's either 21 sin.. then BD, then finish with RS

or 13 RS then BD and finish with sin

I did 21 sin, then got BD, then RS

+ Reply to Thread