+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue tank guide?

Plane Touched

Default Rogue tank guide?

Is there a rogue tank guide out there like ciderhelm's warrior tank guide that doesn't tell you to do ******ed builds like 51 riftstalker?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Varno View Post
    Is there a rogue tank guide out there like ciderhelm's warrior tank guide that doesn't tell you to do ******ed builds like 51 riftstalker?
    :facepalm:
    Looking for a mature, casual guild focused on having fun?
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Rift Chaser

You could definitely build worse than 51 RS, if purely for the root abilities.

Plane Touched

51 rifstalker is pretty bad tho. Don't think you can get any worse than 51 riftstalker

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Varno View Post
    51 rifstalker is pretty bad tho. Don't think you can get any worse than 51 riftstalker
    Sure you can: Spec only into DPS-enhancing RS talents and no survivability.

Plane Touched

Lol

/10chars

Plane Walker

If you are so clever to deduce that 51 points in riftstalker is bad, then you should be clever enough to make your own build.

I will say this though, a good rogue tank requires a lot more skill and work than a warrior tank. Even if you can find the absolute "best" build, if you don't know why or how it works..you won't do anything with it worth while.

That said, you can try any build out there, but you will not beat a 51 point riftstalker build for sheer tanking ever.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Rift Chaser

For the sake of contributing: I do all the damage mitigation talents maxed in RS, enough BD to get improved false blade, and 5 points in bard for the increased health.

This should leave a few points to use as you please, based on how/what you're tanking.

Shadowlander

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oR.x.xVzm0RMoM

Rotation wise, charge with a Plane Shift for preliminary Rift Barrier.
    4-5 point Guarded Steel.
    4-5 False Blade.
    Plane shift to renew Rift Barrier.
    5 point Rift Guard.

Telaran

For what I know every point you spend in another soul you'll lose:
    1- 0.5% damage reduction and 5% max absorption from RiftGuard
    2- 1% endurance form Improved guardian stance

To get improved FB you'll have to out in it at least 21 pts (but i hope you putted 2 points in improved FB to give it a sense) plus 5 in bard it's 26 (27 if you maxed False Blade) point that means 10 (12) point less in RS meaning:
    5% less endurance, 2,5 dmg reduction and 25%damage absoption and you traded it for 10% endurance and 5% dodge (i guess) plus 6% parry after using a finisher (one that it must be at least the third in the rotation after Guarded Steel and RiftBarrier).
    You'll have to renounce to Scatter the Shadow and Planar Attraction (our only aoe Taunt).

I have no Truth in my hands, I'm just stating out facts.
    I think 51 is the better option for a RS to tank but that is my idea.

If you don't have a pocket archon mage for the armor buff, you should really put one point in Anthem of Glory. Its more than worth the point, not to mention your group will benefit more from a bards Fervor than from him putting up Glory.
    Shadow stalk, shadow assault, shadow blitz all do what flash of steel does, so that is a wasted point.

With Improved Guardian you get 1% more endurance for each point over 26 you put into Riftstalker. 1%!!! ONE PERCENT ENDURANCE!!! PER POINT!! You could have 13% more endurance. thats a huge amount of health.
    Last edited by cyan421; 05-19-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    What a wonderful smell you've discovered!

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by algol80 View Post
    For what I know every point you spend in another soul you'll lose:
    1- 0.5% damage reduction and 5% max absorption from RiftGuard
    2- 1% endurance form Improved guardian stance

To get improved FB you'll have to out in it at least 21 pts (but i hope you putted 2 points in improved FB to give it a sense) plus 5 in bard it's 26 (27 if you maxed False Blade) point that means 10 (12) point less in RS meaning:
    5% less endurance, 2,5 dmg reduction and 25%damage absoption and you traded it for 10% endurance and 5% dodge (i guess) plus 6% parry after using a finisher (one that it must be at least the third in the rotation after Guarded Steel and RiftBarrier).
    You'll have to renounce to Scatter the Shadow and Planar Attraction (our only aoe Taunt).

I have no Truth in my hands, I'm just stating out facts.
    I think 51 is the better option for a RS to tank but that is my idea.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Also I don't know why anyone would spec out false blade lol, false blade NOT why a good tank will go into the bladedancer tree.

They go there because they can put 8 points in and get:

50% dodge for 15 seconds
    +40 dex
    Faster combo point generation
    5% dodge
    and a bit extra damage/aggro generation when you dodge
    Last edited by Drenai; 05-19-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Ravens of Memory
    Guardians on Shatterbone

Telaran

If you just want to tank experts you can spec pretty much however you want, given that you have at least 32 points in Riftstalker. The thing is, the remaining 19 points just give you so many good abilities and passive buffs that I'd never rank without them.

For example the bonus endurance. More HP means your healer doesn't have to blow CD's just to keep you up, he can save them for the spikes you'll take sooner or later.

Planar Attraction is by no means a must, but it really helps gather all those pesky caster mobs when noone has an interrupt.

Scatter the Shadows is a very useful ability as well. It doesn't last long, but it can save you in those "Oh crap!" situations.

My personal build is 51 RS, 8 BD and 7 ranger. IMO it gives the best mix between mitigation, avoidance and hp pool. The 6% extra avoidance you can pick up in BD just isn't worth all that you'll loose to get them.

Rift Disciple

Stop. Feeding. The. Troll.

+ Reply to Thread