+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: RS & Parry

  1. #1
    Soulwalker Kytin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default RS & Parry

    In a lot of mmorpgs dual wielding tanks have two chances to parry is this true with rogues in rift? if not this could be a nice change to be made to fix the avoidence issues.

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara Kaladai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Granada
    Posts
    909

    Default

    What avoidance issues?
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    2 chances to parry? What? This game is a one roll system, so that's not even feasible. 30% dodge + 6% parry = 36% avoidance(+ your chance to be missed I guess). We aren't the parry tank class, that would be clerics. We are the dodge tank class.

    Also we don't have avoidance issues. We have the highest avoidance of any class, if you don't count block of course.
    Last edited by Equis; 05-18-2011 at 05:28 AM.

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82

    Default

    We have something better than block too. Its called Rift Guard and it always works and it even reduces magic damage as long as you keep it up. We dont have an avoidance or mitigation issue at all. Dodge is definitely to better stat hands down between dodge and parry. Also parry is capped at 20% for clerics and as a rogue you will never hit 20% parry.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Kytin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    than a lot of healers on my shard are not used to having to heal a tank that takes damage and used either geared tanks or two healing everything

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItuuq0RkkR.xh

    that is the build I'm using for T2 atm just because no one ever seems to have silence

  6. #6
    Plane Walker chaoticnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kytin View Post
    than a lot of healers on my shard are not used to having to heal a tank that takes damage and used either geared tanks or two healing everything

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItuuq0RkkR.xh

    that is the build I'm using for T2 atm just because no one ever seems to have silence
    Why would you skip Improved rift guard at all... that's pretty much bread and butter right there

  7. #7
    Champion Carolius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticnova View Post
    Why would you skip Improved rift guard at all... that's pretty much bread and butter right there
    crikes. of all the stuff you could have skipped in Riftstalker. it would decrease all incoming damage by 17.5% and add 175% to the amount Rift shield can absorb just for the 30 points over 16 you have in Riftstalker. Single best point you could possibly spend in Riftstalker.
    Last edited by Carolius; 05-18-2011 at 02:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker Kytin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    lol because I did not see it when I was posting that I do have it in my build

    none fail post of build below

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EIthuqzRkkR.xh

    was wondering why I had an extra point >< I knew I did not have points in the crit skill on the server but with it down atm I was like well maybe I did but no that point was in imp rift guard I just over looked it on the calc
    Last edited by Kytin; 05-18-2011 at 02:57 PM.

  9. #9
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kytin View Post
    than a lot of healers on my shard are not used to having to heal a tank that takes damage and used either geared tanks or two healing everything
    From the healer perspective:

    The first couple times you heal a rogue tank is a learning experience. I'm sure you understand that your defenses take a little bit to get fully ramped up so you potentially spike fairly hard at the start of a pull. Not all healers have experience with healing rogue tanks and so aren't always prepared for that scenario. It is probably not a bad idea to check with the healer at the start of the run and make sure they understand rogue tank mechanics.

    Once all your defenses are in place you probably take less damage than some other tank builds, especially if frequently hopping around for the free bubbles but while you are ramping up you are quite squishy, relatively speaking. This often makes it a wise idea for the healer (and you) to fire the oh shi__ at the start of the pull to allow ample time to build up rather than holding off for later emergencies.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker Kytin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bri bates View Post
    From the healer perspective:

    The first couple times you heal a rogue tank is a learning experience. I'm sure you understand that your defenses take a little bit to get fully ramped up so you potentially spike fairly hard at the start of a pull. Not all healers have experience with healing rogue tanks and so aren't always prepared for that scenario. It is probably not a bad idea to check with the healer at the start of the run and make sure they understand rogue tank mechanics.

    Once all your defenses are in place you probably take less damage than some other tank builds, especially if frequently hopping around for the free bubbles but while you are ramping up you are quite squishy, relatively speaking. This often makes it a wise idea for the healer (and you) to fire the oh shi__ at the start of the pull to allow ample time to build up rather than holding off for later emergencies.
    I generally use the ranger skills to open with rift guard before the mobs are in contact so ramp up is pretty fast I think the issue I'm having is mostly healers that don't know how to predictably heal and wait for damage to happen :/

    on a healing note I was solo healing T2 pre-nerf on my chloro
    Last edited by Kytin; 05-18-2011 at 03:11 PM.

  11. #11
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kytin View Post
    I generally use the ranger skills to open with rift guard before the mobs are in contact so ramp up is pretty fast I think the issue I'm having is mostly healers that don't know how to predictably heal and wait for damage to happen :/
    If they are expecting the "normal" damage intake they are used to from running with warrs or cleric tanks they will still fall behind, potentially fatally, during your ramp-up. Sans cooldowns you *will* take more damage than similarly geared tanks from the other callings during that phase. Once you have seen it a few times it's not a big deal to adjust to but, if your server is anything like mine, rogue tanks are few and far between in experts (I know of 2 on the server). Assuming your healer understands that their normal progressions may not work is a recipe for trouble.

  12. #12
    Soulwalker Kytin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bri bates View Post
    If they are expecting the "normal" damage intake they are used to from running with warrs or cleric tanks they will still fall behind, potentially fatally, during your ramp-up. Sans cooldowns you *will* take more damage than similarly geared tanks from the other callings during that phase. Once you have seen it a few times it's not a big deal to adjust to but, if your server is anything like mine, rogue tanks are few and far between in experts (I know of 2 on the server). Assuming your healer understands that their normal progressions may not work is a recipe for trouble.
    Yea I think that is the issue in all my time healing and playing on this toon even I have only seen two other rogue tanks that had the gear to take on T2 fights

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kytin View Post
    Yea I think that is the issue in all my time healing and playing on this toon even I have only seen two other rogue tanks that had the gear to take on T2 fights
    This. Before I got proper tanking gear I was often a horror to heal, but once your buffed hp pool is around 10k the healer has a bit of leeway. With decent healers I no longer need to pop Planar Refuge on pulls, and trash is no longer such a pain to tank.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts