+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about healer bards

Shadowlander

Default Question about healer bards

After seeing the recent chatter about bards being powerhealers now, I am wondering about one particular thing.

Does a healer oriented bard worry about keeping up motifs at all? Since you would be loosing an awful lot of GCDs to recast them, while you could be casting cadence and coda of restoration.

The buffs part in particular is what have turned me off bards, since its awfully easy to loose track of them in the shifting sea of buffs on you.
    Last edited by LucianDK; 05-17-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Rift Disciple

power healer bards?

is this a troll post, or sarcasm?

I dunno, but I'll bite.

If I want to focus on my heals as a bard I use this spec
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z.Vzsfu0kso.Vh

I get all the bard stuff I need for a 5 man,
    I take the damage boost to cadence from the nightblade.
    For my opening rotation I use my motifs, and then armor Piercing shot, and bleed them with quick shot, cadence and then a 5 point head shot

The armor debuff helps melee, the bleed increases my pet damage by 15%, head shot boosts my damage by 5%, and when my pet crits I get another 15% damage...

all that +damage makes my cadence heal for a fair bit, and my group damage is decent. I use this spec for solo grinding and it works well on elites, although I don't really have the gear to safely solo lvl 45-50 elites.

Is it worth it? healing a little bit more in exchange for all the deep bard buffs? probably not. but if I was in a raid, and there was already a 51 point bard, then absolutely it would be worth doing.

Edit:

"Does a healer oriented bard worry about keeping up motifs at all?"

yup, but if they fall off and I'm busy healing, I could really care less about reseting them
    Last edited by Ez Pz; 05-18-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Bards aren't healing any more than before, its just that everything else is hitting like a wet noodle to the point that the healing from a bard is more than sufficient.

Okita 60 Rogue l Creiddy 60 Cleric l Sacaen 60 Warr l Shiiun 60 Mage

heya lads,

i present to use the melee bard healer for raids.
    ive been running this build since 1.2 now mainly as a melee bard healer.
    to optimise the bard core, i use crystal vine / deep one frozen tear and a healing trinket ( either the spirit wolf totem or secret heirloom of eth -> still need to get one of these to optimise my bard healing )

40 BRD / 18BD / 8NB

in raid environments, cadence crits for 480-500+ and the 2 greaters /trinket give nice extra healing + absorb.
    we usually run 2 bards, a 51 bard who stays at range and me running with melee.

im hit capped, thats why i use quick reflexes.
    i only use the 2 healing buffs, the other buffs r taken care off by the other members.
    5 CP riff - deadly strike
    cadence - cadence - cadence - deadly strike
    rinse repeat.
    with an optimised core/trinket you can dish out pretty nice healing stream/absorb for melee.

cheers
    steve
    Last edited by stdem; 05-18-2011 at 04:42 AM.
    The Unnamed - Bloodb
    The Unnamed Homepage
    one of my favorite quotes:
    "you don't quit gaming caus you grow old, you grow old caus you quit gaming"
    Oliver Wendell Holmes.

My bard build
    40 bard/13 NB/ 13 RS
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...Vqskq.Vhx.Vhbh

Spell rotation

cast all 5 bard buffs.

Cadence, power cord, coda of restoration (for max heals, for dmg pick coda of wrath or fury for single or aoe)

repeat cadence, power cord, coda of restoration.

check to make sure all 5 buffs are still on.

repeat cadence, power cord, coda

Make sure to use your coda of cowardice & Destress on single target bosses.

This works great for me for a Support / Off healer in dungeons.
    Last edited by dayzed; 05-18-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by DreadShinobi View Post
    Bards aren't healing any more than before, its just that everything else is hitting like a wet noodle to the point that the healing from a bard is more than sufficient.
    Actually, a geared bard heals quite a bit. You need three things to up your healing by quite a bit as a bard.

Greater Essences: Either 2 Heals put Heal over Time on Target or 1 HoT plus 1 puts Shield (Frozen Deep One Tear) and the Healing trinket.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Relanex View Post
    Actually, a geared bard heals quite a bit. You need three things to up your healing by quite a bit as a bard.

Greater Essences: Either 2 Heals put Heal over Time on Target or 1 HoT plus 1 puts Shield (Frozen Deep One Tear) and the Healing trinket.
    I thought these type of essences (the ones that say work on healing SPELLS) do not work for bards?

Shield of Telara

They work really well.

What is the healing trinket, and where do I acquire it and the 2 greaters I need for my healing setup?

Koe

If you want max healing you want to do

44 bard/17sin/5NB

Everything else parses a fair bit lower HPS.

Use the BD/Bard build if you want more DPS and less heals(probably better for 5-man, but I like the better heals)

Honestly, ever since 1.5 months ago I don't even respec my bard out of 44/17/5. I solo healed Scarn the other night, and I've solo healed all T1s before. I haven't dipped into too many T2s, and the trash is the big problem MOST of the time(Dichrom, Gatekpeer, etc are probably way out of reach).

So, Bard/Sin/NB for heals.

Bard/BD/Sin for DPS/heals

Bard/NB (51/8/Whatever) for utility/heals.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Shield of Telara

Trinket: Spirit Wolf Totem - King's Breach - 970 heals over 8 seconds per proc
    Greater Essences: Crystal Vine - Stillmoor Rare Planar Vendor - 750 heals per 8 seconds per proc
    Greater Essences: Sparkling Extraplanar Gem - Lantern Hook Rare Planar Vendor - 615 Heals per 8 seconds per proc
    Greater Essences: Consuming Faesource - Random Rifts Common on AH - 550 Heals per 8 Seconds per proc
    Greater Essences: Frozen Deep One Tear - IPP rare planar vendor - 556 absorb shield for 15 seconds

All of these can proc on Cadence and Coda of Restoration. They will proc on multiple people at the same time. Which means for a bard they can end up being rolling hots across the entire effected raid.
    Last edited by Relanex; 05-18-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calysto View Post
    What is the healing trinket, and where do I acquire it and the 2 greaters I need for my healing setup?
    The healing trinkets are either the Spirit Wolf Totem from the first boss in xKB, or Sacred Heirloom of Eth from Dichrom in xDSM.

The greaters are purchased from rare planarite merchants, they cost 1 epic sourcestone plus some planarite I believe. I think one is from the IPP merchant and the other is Stillmoor but I may be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadShinobi
    A bard with 13+ points in Blade Dancer is putting out a lot more healing than a pre-1.2 Bard could. Double damage on Cadence is pretty huge.

Koe, you've compared that Bard/Sin/NB build to Bard/BD/NB with a Cadence-Cadence-Cadence-Deadly rotation? I find it hard to believe that the Bard/Sin/NB can keep up in HPS.
    Last edited by Dinadass; 05-18-2011 at 06:53 AM.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    A bard with 13+ points in Blade Dancer is putting out a lot more healing than a pre-1.2 Bard could. Double damage on Cadence is pretty huge.

No.

44bard/17sin/5nb is still top heals.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Telaran

For a 51 point bard is 13 BD going to top 8 NB/x whatever now?

Soulwalker

Was wondering if you could post a link to your build? always looking for ways to improve my bardness and your bard/sin/NB sounds like it would work out great, just can't seem to come out with it on ZAM Tree Calculator on my own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast