+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where (what spec) is our happy medium? (survive vs damage)

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Where (what spec) is our happy medium? (survive vs damage)

Use to be 44 NB 22 RS was awesome for dps and survivability, but it seems like that should change now.

51 RS is wasted points, you end up a tank, but cant do any dps, and if you arent being healed, you die quick anyway.

So what spec gives us our happy medium of good dps and good survivability?

In what situation? If you're talking about dungeons, I don't know if there is a happy medium. Getting hit while not being a tank generally isn't a viable strategy. If you're talking about out and about solo, Bladedancer or BD/SIN perform that role well.

Personally, I use 51 NB/RS as my current solo build. You can kill large groups of mobs while under defensive cooldowns. And the NB can build up combo points on the weakest in a group while still using weapon flare, rift disturbance, and/or fiery chains. Then heal up for ~1.5k when that mob drops from rift scavenger. And instead of drinking, grab a weak mob with Dark Malady and Dusk to Dawn for a quick heal.

The snare, sap, short port, containment, and even the weak stealth and handy to have as well.

Sez

44MM. Follow a healer.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Soulwalker

for survival v. damage balance, I used a primarily Sin/RS build. 30-odd points in Sin, picking up most to all of the relevant talents, 20-odd in RS to pick up Rift Scavenger, Rift Barrier and the various Plane Shifting abilities.

i do not find this to be acceptable for dungeons, middling viability in pvp, great for leveling/questing/random open world encounters.

Plane Walker

He's asking about PvP. At least, I suspect he is, because the spec he posted is the same as the one marked "PvP" in his signature.

I'd recommend Sin/NB/Infil as a starting point. Its what I use and I love it.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

RIFT Guide Writer

Raving,

What spec do you use and what prevents you from getting burned down easy?

Plane Walker

Well, it has undergone some moderate tweaks here and there, but the current build looks like this.

For survival, you have the obvious perma-stealth, which lets you pick your fights, and Cloak and Dagger will give you a 15% reduction for 10 seconds when you open, which should be plenty to give you an edge against a single opponent. Fire and Death Attunement give some added protection against casters, and Slip Away and Twilight Shelter are both great "Oh crap" buttons. Break Free and Cleanse Soul round out the mix.

So as there isn't any confusion, you *are* going to take a fair beating in a slugfest, you're not a tank. The major advantage is that you can counteract most opponents and burn them down far faster than you'll take damage. You also have a stun (note "a", Paralyzing Strike shouldn't be used as an opener... *ever*), two saps, two snares, ranged and melee CP builders, and ranged and melee finishers. A lot of this build relies on execution, and controlling the fight.

At my gear level, which is full Prestige 4-5 pieces and 29.X (memory fails me atm) DPS weapons, I can take out pretty much any target 90% of the time with no help. Some healers can be problematic, but you can pressure a healer enough to make them choose between healing themselves or their friends, thus neutralizing them.

Opening with Jagged Strike and Following immediately with Impale (yep, with only 3 Combo Points) is pretty much my standard fare, then follow up as situation dictates.
    ~ Cameela ~
    50 Rogue - Rank 40
    Officer of <Dark Horizon>
    GP 4/4 - DH 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 4/4 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - ID 4/8
    Byriel

Soulwalker

I don't understand why people don't wanna live a fast and loose lifestyle as a rogue.

Kill fast, die fast. Live fast, die hard. Rogues 4 lyfe.

Soulwalker

I like my 51sin/15RS build (with 0 points in BD just for the 50% dodge skill).
    - For soloing, it has Rift Scavenger which means you never have to stop and take a drink.
    - For PvP it has all the tasty assassin skills, plus a little survivability and short teleport from the RS.
    - This does not do quite as much burst damage as the sin/NB/BD blends that all the min/max damage parser folks rave about, but it has MOBILITY. The crazy damage builds I see people throwing around usually don't have any stuns/slows/teleports/"oh ****" buttons (i.e. Slip Away). With these builds, if you don't kill your target immediately after a successful stealth opener and he uses any sort of evasive skill, you are screwed.

Xsi

The PvP "survivable" rogue with some minor removal of damage is 44 NB/20 Infil/2 leftover. You need to be rank 4.

It's all relative though. You still aren't going to last one-half to one-tenth as long as a tank/survivability spec'd cleric. You will have slightly more survivability than a Pyro but pale in comparison on the damage/CC front. Warriors are pretty-much cookie-cutter PvP spec'd for tank/survivability right now.

You might be playing the wrong class.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

I find NB/MM/Inf to be a happy medium, but that's mostly bceause if they try to lock you down you have a cleanse soul, twilight shelter, another cleanse, and CC immunity via your sprint.

+ Reply to Thread