+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Greater Tank AND DPS Planar Essense

Default Rogue Greater Tank AND DPS Planar Essense

What's the best to use that you can get before Raid Rifts.
    Also which ones from Raid Rifts.
    Lastly are lessers better than greater for DPS?

PS: I know about the Greater Necrotic for 50 AP but I don't like the constant Transforming.

Champion

TANKING
    Greater Tank Esences: Rolling Stormsource might as well be mandatory, since it indirectly buffs Rift Guard. Despite some criticism, I've also seen great results from a Tectonic Stonesource, which drops from one of the Expert rifts (Earth, I'd guess). I was rolling near 100% uptime on the thing in t2s yesterday. Obviously it's going to be worse on raid bosses, since you have one thing hitting you, rather than 4.

Lesser Tank Essences: No perfect option. Stunning Acrobatics is probably least bad, 11 Endurance and 13 total Parry rating, and very easy to get a bunch of. You can get a Torrential Strength (Str/En/Dodge) from Mercurial Savants; that's not so bad either, but appears to be Unique-Equip. I've had very bad luck with essence drops from Expert rifts and can't advise in that capacity.

DPS
    I haven't done any careful testing, but it appears that the proc rate on greater essences has shot up dramatically since 1.2 dropped. Stacking lesser essences was a much better idea before that, because pre-1.2 the greater planar essences all had proc rates around 2-3% (same as that horse**** Baneful Rune, in fact). Nowadays, they might be worth using, but mathematically speaking you gained more DPS pre-1.2 from an essence with 12 Dex than you would from one with a 3% chance to do 100 damage.
    Last edited by Ampere; 05-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Rift Disciple

Lesser tank essence: Rigid Stance from whitefall. Replace with Dodge/Endurance heavy epic ones from inscribed stones/drops.

Greater tank essence: Use lessers. Thought if I could get the AOE threat one from Air Raid rift I would use that. I dislike the +Endurance on proc, as it has like 50% uptime on 1 mob. The earth one the above poster talked about I have never seen, so I have no comment on it.

Dps lesser essence: The 4 best ones from inscribed stones are the crit ones. I'm using the 2 from Air, 1 from Fire and 1 from Earth. Get the ones with high Dex and Crit!

Dps greater: Necrotic Rage(the quest one that's a 50 AP proc) is definitely best in slot now. I'm sorry you don't like transforming, so you'll have to choose between the optimal planar essences looking cool. Fire expert rifts have a drop that's a 52 Crit proc that has like 90% uptime. Failing that, use the 42 Crit proc one, or an epic lesser. I've also heard good things about Crystalized Vampire Blood, which you purchase at Warden's Descent in Stillmoor.
    Last edited by Equis; 05-17-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Equis View Post
    Lesser tank essence: Rigid Stance from whitefall. Replace with Dodge/Endurance heavy epic ones from inscribed stones/drops.

Greater tank essence: Use lessers. Thought if I could get the AOE threat one from Air Raid rift I would use that. I dislike the +Endurance on proc, as it has like 50% uptime on 1 mob. The earth one the above poster talked about I have never seen, so I have no comment on it.

Dps lesser essence: The 4 best ones from inscribed stones are the crit ones. I'm using the 2 from Air, 1 from Fire and 1 from Earth. Get the ones with high Dex and Crit!

Dps greater: Necrotic Rage(the quest one that's a 50 AP proc) is definitely best in slot now. I'm sorry you don't like transforming, so you'll have to choose between the optimal planar essences looking cool. Fire expert rifts have a drop that's a 52 Crit proc that has like 90% uptime. Failing that, use the 42 Crit proc one, or an epic lesser. I've also heard good things about Crystalized Vampire Blood, which you purchase at Warden's Descent in Stillmoor.
    Not sure about the rest of your post, but for lessers, the ones with AP > the ones with crit. I believe the life one is the best at 12 str, 17 dex, 9 AP.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DTM300 View Post
    Not sure about the rest of your post, but for lessers, the ones with AP > the ones with crit. I believe the life one is the best at 12 str, 17 dex, 9 AP.
    It depends on your spec... for example I'm sure the AP one outdoes crit ones if you don't go 17 assassin.

Reading various mathcrafting on the forums, most well thought out posts value crit at about 1 AP = 1.8-1.9 Crit(assuming you have the crit damage bonus talent and such). So in terms of equal itemvalue, you would take 2 crit over 1 AP. However, you wouldn't want to only stack crit and leave yourself with little AP, you want a mix-So I admit having 1 or 2 AP essences would be a good decison, provided they are dex heavy and strength light.
    Last edited by Equis; 05-17-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks for the info guys, anyone got anything else to add would be great.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Equis View Post
    Dps greater: Necrotic Rage(the quest one that's a 50 AP proc) is definitely best in slot now.
    Yay for Guardians. Oh wait, I'm a Defiant....
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

+ Reply to Thread