+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raid Ranged

Default Raid Ranged

For you raiders, what spec are you using for ranged fights? My dps is lacking so need a good build.
    Dream for 1.3:
    *Crafters Rejoice - We've reduced all deposits when listing your wares on the Auctioneer by 75%. This only applies to player made items.
    *Quest Journal: Increased in size from 25 to 50. Also, guild quests, world event quests and crafting quests no longer contribute to your quest count. No more pesky messages!
    *New Portal System: All death platforms can now be used as portals. Each platform has a short quest that must be completed to unlock it's potential. Travel expenses have been reduced and now cost by the distance traveled and not the distance from your home city.

Bump --------->
    Dream for 1.3:
    *Crafters Rejoice - We've reduced all deposits when listing your wares on the Auctioneer by 75%. This only applies to player made items.
    *Quest Journal: Increased in size from 25 to 50. Also, guild quests, world event quests and crafting quests no longer contribute to your quest count. No more pesky messages!
    *New Portal System: All death platforms can now be used as portals. Each platform has a short quest that must be completed to unlock it's potential. Travel expenses have been reduced and now cost by the distance traveled and not the distance from your home city.

Check out Sozu's ranger guide, it seems to be a pretty popular ranged build.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...de-1.2-REVISED

Telaran

IMO Sozu is on crack.

In real world instances where you can't rely on a MM pedestal, having MM in there is a DPS loss even after 1.2

I have a 28nb/5RS/33 ranger build that works well for me http://seelenplaner.telara.net/#rogu...11310011;32,05

The most key skill is shadow fire. It's a 2sec shot/buff that gives a 25 second +35% buff to all ranger skills. Add that to the 25% attack buff from all the NB skills, the 15% AP buff from RS (soul also gives you an END buff, unlike SABs dex buff) and it's a pretty powerful soul build. Not as much as the the Melee builds, but I consistently push 600+ on single targets with bard buffs, and 500+ on the dummy self buffed and I have crap blue weapons still.

Basically, with the roving 35% buff, Ranger still destroys MM/sin/rng builds, which rely too much on Crit, and you can get crit stats on weapons and in runes that far exceed the AP buffs on the same items that it is silly to put a crit soul in your build, IMO. With the NB/RNG/RS build, you get a 40% damage buff from the support souls that has 100% uptime... and adding Shadow fire you get a total of a 75% buff... using sin/mm all you're buffing is crit, not sustainable damage. With the crit proc chance, you get a slightly lower damage buff... but only when the dice rolls say you can have it.

THEN... add in your Firey Spike and Scourge of Darkness... yeah, nuff said.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Phros View Post
    In real world instances where you can't rely on a MM pedestal, having MM in there is a DPS loss even after 1.2
    Not sure what your doing wrong but it is pretty easy to use pedestal. Put it down start firing. When you have to move then move, You have 15 seconds of the buff available to you before you have to either spend 1 second back in the pedestal area or put up a new one. It's not that rough. I am able to use it on Infiltrator without any issue at all. And that fight you move continuously to get out of the bomb or die.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Quote Originally Posted by Relanex View Post
    Not sure what your doing wrong but it is pretty easy to use pedestal. Put it down start firing. When you have to move then move, You have 15 seconds of the buff available to you before you have to either spend 1 second back in the pedestal area or put up a new one. It's not that rough. I am able to use it on Infiltrator without any issue at all. And that fight you move continuously to get out of the bomb or die.
    this, and you take mm now for rapid fire shot and pedestal, otherwise the points would be useless... but rapid fire shot hits way too hard now to ignore.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Sez

It is a nice alternative for those who don't like standing in a circle.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    It is a nice alternative for those who don't like standing in a circle.
    you dont have to stand in it, just cast it and run around for 14 seconds then either go back to it or cast it again... 1 second is not a huge dps loss every so often.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Shield of Telara

Ok, that is a perfectly valid reason. :P

I cannot argue that as I don't use anything but instant shots. Which says I don't like cast bars.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    you dont have to stand in it, just cast it and run around for 14 seconds then either go back to it or cast it again... 1 second is not a huge dps loss every so often.
    Don't get me wrong Hoko, I use, and tell my guildies to use Sozu's spec, but if hes not in my raid, let him do what he wants
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

Ok, that is a perfectly valid reason. :P

I cannot argue that as I don't use anything but instant shots. Which says I don't like cast bars.
    You're using shadow fire and pedestal with the sozu spec, so you have two cast bars to deal with instead of one. Or running back to pedestal all the time.

If you're 100% reliable on all your procs and pedestals, then Sozu's is undeniably better. If you're not able because of situational issues or just can't pay attention to all that, then the NB builds are better. In acutal use, your pet is minimised also, so I try not to use it in my parse comparisons. I can replace pet damage with Firey Spike, which doesn't die when cleaved. Every time I instance with another rogue, the pet is out for the first few trash pulls, and by the end of the first boss the pet is gone and rarely ever comes back out... -15% theoretical procced damage there...

FWIW, I rarely have been in a boss fight that mattered on max dps where you weren't constantly moving around and kiting. It may only be 1 sec to lay down a pedestal, but I get the 10% damage back elsewhere in my soul tree and then I don't even have to worry about it.

Rapid Fire shot is huge, but that CD makes it, again, a burst damage skill. Proc this, timer that, pedestal that.. bah.

So.. far as I can tell, MM/SIN adds +45% theoretical damage, and NB/RS is +40% actual damage to ranger builds...

In my own testing (no parses cuz I'm at work) NB/RS has always been the higher DPS. But don't listen to me, or Sozu for that matter, go test it yourself and see which one actually works for your play style.

Shield of Telara

Role 4 is my primary spec, I don't use cast bars except to put a pedestal down.

Telaran

Role 4 is my primary spec, I don't use cast bars except to put a pedestal down.
    So you're just giving up on the +35% damage from Shadow fire? mmkay.

So you're just giving up on the +35% damage from Shadow fire? mmkay.
    Relanex's builds are choc full of fail so don't be surprised that he doesn't use a skill that gives you a flat 35% increase in ranger damage skills.
    Last edited by Upright; 05-18-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Ascendant

IMO Sozu is on crack.

I have a 28nb/5RS/33 ranger build that works well for me http://seelenplaner.telara.net/#rogu...11310011;32,05

The most key skill is shadow fire. It's a 2sec shot/buff that gives a 25 second +35% buff to all ranger skills. Add that to the 25% attack buff from all the NB skills, the 15% AP buff from RS (soul also gives you an END buff, unlike SABs dex buff) and it's a pretty powerful soul build. Not as much as the the Melee builds, but I consistently push 600+ on single targets with bard buffs, and 500+ on the dummy self buffed and I have crap blue weapons still.

Basically, with the roving 35% buff, Ranger still destroys MM/sin/rng builds, which rely too much on Crit, and you can get crit stats on weapons and in runes that far exceed the AP buffs on the same items that it is silly to put a crit soul in your build, IMO. With the NB/RNG/RS build, you get a 40% damage buff from the support souls that has 100% uptime... and adding Shadow fire you get a total of a 75% buff... using sin/mm all you're buffing is crit, not sustainable damage. With the crit proc chance, you get a slightly lower damage buff... but only when the dice rolls say you can have it.

THEN... add in your Firey Spike and Scourge of Darkness... yeah, nuff said.
    0/3 opportunity?

Yea, Nuff said said is about right.

+ Reply to Thread