+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sin/Rift for PvP

Default Sin/Rift for PvP

At work currently, but playing around with the soul builder and have come up with this spec to try out.

34 Sin, 26 Rift, 6 Ranger

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ARftobodbR.V0o

Gets most of the goodies from Sin. Picks up loads of mobility, which also leads to increased crit chance and damage from shifting for Rift, as well as the AP boost. Ranger for the crit chance, AP buff, and ranged snare.

Anyone think this would be viable, or is this already a known and tested build?

Telaran

There is a thread with a similar build. It has macros and is very good in PvP. Lot mobility and damage is good.

Here is the thread
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...w-with-Footage

Plane Touched

That is a very strong build that not many people use. I actually used something very similar to that for a long time (the point spread was identical 34 / 26 / 6, but in slightly different places). Here's what I found.

Attack power, though it can be impressively beefed up with instincts and buffs, is completely worthless. Your abilities will hit for maybe 2 more damage with that buff on. Second, being that I've been doing this since beta and have not found another spec I like as much as Sin / RS and am now approaching R6, I firmly believe that staying alive to go back in again is more important than 5% crit. As such I am irrevicably sold on my build 34 sin / 32 RS.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...kz.0ARft0boddR

This is gives you full mobility, 2 get out of jail free cards, rift cage, blind, and foul play for CC, and the bleeds from assassin. The best use of this build is to sap the last person in the big train, expose -> shadow stalk -> jagged -> puncture -> impale -> flashback. Yes, you will do 3 globals out of stealth then flashback somewhere safe. Sometimes they die, most of the time I restealth and go back in for an assassinate and final blow. I typically go about 10 kills - 0 deaths using this build intelligently. It's just that - an intelligent, strategic build.
    And yes, I do actually use enduring brew. When I'm shifting towards the green ball for my life and DoT's are eating me, I have lost count of the number of times brew has given my another 2 seconds to get there.

If you find you don't like it so much, here is one alteration I liked to use for a long time before I got addicted to flashback. It's the same approach, but with some more brute damage and shorter ranged.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ARfx0bodbR.V0x

This build only has foul play, no rift cage or blind. It also doesn't have flashback or shadow warp, but still has your 3 gap closers and 30% speed when you use them. It has no rift barrier, but I am thinking of dropping that on my main build since this is entirely a hit and run soul build. As you can see, you make these sacrifices so you can have 2 saps and 15% ability and finisher damage. Jagged and impale do some VERY impressive damage with 15% from NB, 15% from stalker phase, and 15% from cloak and dagger.

I personally have used this second build for PvE, since it is overall higher damage by quite a margin. However, I still stick by my philosophy that staying alive > some extra damage, even if it means letting him get away.
    Anyway, this is my contribution. It's greta to see another player thinking of using riftstalker offensively like I do =]

I like that first build you linked Zarak, it's pretty much along the same lines as what I was thinking. I just recently hit 50, still have some mostly crap gear, and haven't really done any PvP since the teens, and just trying to find myself a build that I can still be effective in, but maybe won't get insta-gibbed the instant I pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarak View Post
    That is a very strong build that not many people use. I actually used something very similar to that for a long time (the point spread was identical 34 / 26 / 6, but in slightly different places). Here's what I found.

Attack power, though it can be impressively beefed up with instincts and buffs, is completely worthless. Your abilities will hit for maybe 2 more damage with that buff on. Second, being that I've been doing this since beta and have not found another spec I like as much as Sin / RS and am now approaching R6, I firmly believe that staying alive to go back in again is more important than 5% crit. As such I am irrevicably sold on my build 34 sin / 32 RS.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...kz.0ARft0boddR

This is gives you full mobility, 2 get out of jail free cards, rift cage, blind, and foul play for CC, and the bleeds from assassin. The best use of this build is to sap the last person in the big train, expose -> shadow stalk -> jagged -> puncture -> impale -> flashback. Yes, you will do 3 globals out of stealth then flashback somewhere safe. Sometimes they die, most of the time I restealth and go back in for an assassinate and final blow. I typically go about 10 kills - 0 deaths using this build intelligently. It's just that - an intelligent, strategic build.
    And yes, I do actually use enduring brew. When I'm shifting towards the green ball for my life and DoT's are eating me, I have lost count of the number of times brew has given my another 2 seconds to get there.

If you find you don't like it so much, here is one alteration I liked to use for a long time before I got addicted to flashback. It's the same approach, but with some more brute damage and shorter ranged.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ARfx0bodbR.V0x

This build only has foul play, no rift cage or blind. It also doesn't have flashback or shadow warp, but still has your 3 gap closers and 30% speed when you use them. It has no rift barrier, but I am thinking of dropping that on my main build since this is entirely a hit and run soul build. As you can see, you make these sacrifices so you can have 2 saps and 15% ability and finisher damage. Jagged and impale do some VERY impressive damage with 15% from NB, 15% from stalker phase, and 15% from cloak and dagger.

I personally have used this second build for PvE, since it is overall higher damage by quite a margin. However, I still stick by my philosophy that staying alive > some extra damage, even if it means letting him get away.
    Anyway, this is my contribution. It's greta to see another player thinking of using riftstalker offensively like I do =]
    I just hit 48 last night, but i've had my eye on a build like this...i just wanted to wait until i hit 50 so i can fully spec into something similar!
    Rezzistance -Seastone/Defiant Mage
    Rezzist - Seastone/Defiant Rogue
    MeatyCurtains - Seastone/Guardian Rogue

Plane Touched

Glad you guys are looking at them! What you described earlier - not being insta-gibbed when you fight - is definately part of this build. You are VERY tough for the first 10 seconds you pop. There is 15% mitigation from cloak and dagger, 15% from rift barrier when you shift, and in my particular case, 15% from a greater planar essence I use that soaks 270 damage. Then I currently have 3 pieces of stalker gear, the rest is lower stuff which just put me at 16% player damage mitigation.

Total = 61% damage mitigation for the first 10 seconds after opening, 31% damage mitigation for about 10 seconds after that.

Don't forget that rift disturbance is a very cool ability. For some reason, the damage it does is delayed about .7 seconds after you push the button due to animation. As such, when you are fully buffed from cloak and dagger and shifting, you want to hit a rift disturbance followed by a finisher. Due to the delay in rift disturbance, both will land at almost the exact same time, quite a chunk of burst. (rift disturbance is 2 hits. When both crit, it is basically one of your hardest hitting abilities even for single target).

Of course, my favorite part is flashback. Do not ever underestimate flashback for PvE or PvP. In PvE, you can set it 50 yards back, which is far enough for most mobs to leash and drop combat. In PvP, it is our CC breaker and takes you completely out of a fight.

This is the result of this spec used in the proper hands: Zarrak has 12 killing blows, o deaths.
    http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...45/Endgame.jpg

Am i super duper l337sauce? No. Am I so awesome we don't need healers? No. What is the point? I find a quiet corner on the map and pick off defiants that come out of their spawn point. If it goes south, I slip away. If slip away is gone, I flashback. I typically flashback once bleeds are up and see if the target dies anyway.

This is how I choose to contribute to my team. Any spec other than bard is near useless running into the fray shoulder to shoulder with warriors getting AoE'd down. This is an assassin spec and you need to be patient and pick your fight when you are alone. Sometimes it's better to abandon the kill and stay alive, which I do many times. If nothing else, the enemy healer has now been occupied for 3.5 minutes fighting me while his team got slaughtered. Every person I kill out of their gate is one less my team has to fight. If you enjoy this spec, then feel free to use it the way it's meant to be played!

Since Blinding powder, rift prison, and foul play, incapacitate, and paralyzing strike are all on the same DR...why not drop Blinding powder for something like planer refuge? Its just something that I've been doing with my sin builds. But i know it could have its place for a focus target. Just a thought
    Rezzistance -Seastone/Defiant Mage
    Rezzist - Seastone/Defiant Rogue
    MeatyCurtains - Seastone/Guardian Rogue

Very nice build. Going to try this out later on.

Plane Touched

Well they are all on the same DR, since they are all control CC. However, who ever said you're using them all on one guy? =]

I open on a mage passing by, chop him to half health, oh no his warrior brudda drops in and boom rift cage gives me time to finish the mage. He breaks cage, blind is still 4 seconds so I hit em with that. Crap mage is getting away, foul play.

I personally prefer multiple individual CC's for multiple targets. You are right though...refuge is certainly a powerful tool to have. I honestly don't use blind THAT much since any damage breaks it. It is a very weak CC so I might drop it for refuge. Good thought!

Got home and finally got to test out the 34 sin, 32 rift build you posted Zarak, and I gotta say, that was a hell of a lot of fun. Was actually able to prey around the edges of the fight and generally get my kill and get out to safety. The build provides you with so many tools to get yourself to safety.

Rift Disciple

zarak,
    do you lose stealth when u put up memory capture?

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticratboy View Post
    zarak,
    do you lose stealth when u put up memory capture?
    No, I drop memory capture balls in the church in scion while in stealth ;)
    Last edited by Stevoli; 05-18-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Aye, you can drop Memory Capture while still in stealth. It's pretty fantastic. My only real question on that is, can the enemy see where you use Memory Capture? I know allies can, and my friend seems to think they can, but I seriously doubt that they can, as that would completely negate it if they could find your spot and just camp it. Has anyone just gone out and tested it to see?

Rift Disciple

Ha that's hilarious OP, I was just about to start a discussion thread about exactly the same build that I 'invented' a few days ago :P Though mine had an extra point in Riftstalker, and I had a point in enduring brew thus leaving 0 in physical trauma.

There's just something about using a 'defensive' soul in a very much not defensive way that tickles my fancy. And like you I pumped the remaining points into ranger for the added crit and snare.

I was also playing around with the idea of switching 'sin for saboteur. Because of the sab's burst damage playstyle, it might be possible to remain in guardian phase until you need to detonate your bombs, which would give you some pretty crazy survivability and wouldn't be possible with any other build. This does of course assume that your charges calculate damage upon detonation, not when they're thrown.

Very cool build. Going to give it a shot today and see how things go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast