+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low Level Tank - Excessive Spike Damage - Help

Default Low Level Tank - Excessive Spike Damage - Help

I'm leveling a Rogue, who's at 18 at the moment. I gave RotF normal a shot and, despite keeping up Phantom Blow, Rift Guard and Guarded Steel, I was still near the point of un-healable.

My spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpVN.xzt0uoz.x0z

My stats (self-buffed):
    HP:1686 (Guardian)
    AC: 877 (25% DR) (not incl. GS)
    Dodge: 11.85%
    Parry: 2.33%

Some of the trash were level 15 (green con) and still, I was getting wrecked.

Is there anything I can do to not make my Healers sh*t a brick every pull, or is this just the way low level Tanking works?

Also, a question in regards to gearing:

There are very few "Tanking" leather pieces this early on. I was able to buy a belt pattern that gave Dodge and Augmented it to have a bit of Endurance, but other than that I'm using what seems to be mostly DPS gear because that's all I could find.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Soulwalker

i guess its not so easy for a low level rogue tank.

i would prefer ranger (8) over any other because of 5% more health and 6% less damage = 11% thats more than 5% avoidance in my opinion

use 2 shots to pull so you get 2 CP before mobs are there then shadow attack thats 3 CP then guarded steel (its not weaker with just few points, just doesnt last that long, so you could even use it after 1 CP), phantom blow 3 times.

also i think that rift guard isnt that important lower levels its almost the same as rift barrier (18,5% instead of 15%). also exceptional resilience is a must. rift scavenger is also nice its a 30% heal after killing a mob.

and yes, you also must have a good healer too, HoTs might not work that good, maybe shields and single heals would be best.

-->

you will have about 30% armor (30 to 40), 27% absorb (15% barrier, 6% ranger, 6% rp), 50% for 15 seconds (sidesteps) and 5% more health.

if i would tank the first ini and there are 3 mobs i would shoot arrows 1 or 2 times, side step, shadow step into the mobs, guarded steel, phantom blow 3 times, whatever keeps aggro, guarded steel, after 15 seconds another shadow ability

something like that

I cant say for sure, i never tried to tank at low level, but, the problem i see at low level tanking with rogue is the loss of passives you will get at higher level, rift guard doesnt help all that much at lower level's and you dont have 6% dmg reduction/15% HP from ranger/bard cause it's at bladedancer dodge.

Rogue's will always have those times where you get spiked to hell (i have 10k hp, doing T2's at a pull put me at around 1.5k-2k per hit til i get rift guard up)
    This is due to the low armor they have, where warrior's has more armor due to shield.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1169507&dateline=1307  205688
    Kats@Vigil - 50 Rogue

Thanks for the feedback. I had initially put the points in BD first to get False Blade, since Avoidance is so hard to come by. Would Bolster really be better than 10% Dodge (Quick Reflexes + False Blade)?

Also, if my choices on a piece of gear are: STR + Dex + Phys Crit versus STR + Endurance, I should be going for the latter, correct?

Thanks again.

Soulwalker

i would go str/end because more life is a fix value and not dependend on luck.

also i forgot to mention 6% absorb by phantom blow, so you would have 33% absorb and not 27%

i think 30 to 40% absorb through armor and 33% through skills is nice and you will not get spiked so much.

most times are max of 3 elite mobs attacking you, use sidestep, after 15 seconds there are only 1 or 2 left anyway which can be tanked/healed easily.

and dont forget, the game is not only about tank and heal, there is also crowd control. a rogue can put out a mob 45 seconds, and there are stuns and charmes too.

so if its too hard, your group should use more CC. i know DDs are lazy sometimes but when i play my rogue as DD i can put out even 2 out of combat and can also put a 3rd out about 20 seconds (when no one attacks it). dominator also and some pets can off-tank a while too....

Soulwalker

I would use something along these lines.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVpc..xct0u.x0z

Here is why;
    You do not need Improved Rift Guard, the bonuses it gives are nothing amazing or even worth taking at that point. You are better getting 2% extra bonus damage reduction ALL the time is much better then 2% less damage on a shield.
    RNG vs BRD at this level...Bard is MUCH better due to Anthem of Glory. That armor given from the the spell alone will give you 5% physical reduction and that is much better then anything you can get. The extra HP bonus from Bard is also much better in the long run due to being able to take the intial burst damage rogues usually take (not to mention, you get an END buff as well being in Bard). BD seems to be the best 0pt soul to go due to Side Steps, no other reason.

As you level, it's best you put 2 points into Boosted Recovery, at level 21, put 1 point into Improved Rift Barrier and finally taking the Improved Rift Guard (which is at level 22). Here is the route I believe you should take afterwards;
    Planar Refuse (23), Shadow Assault OR 3/3 Boosted Recovery (24-25), Imp. Guardian Phase (26), Imp. Guarded Steel (27-28), Shadow Mastery (29-33), and just fill in the points where you desire afterwards.

As for the sub-classes, you can get up to 8 pts in Bladedancer for False Blade and just dump the rest of the points into Bard on Street Smart. For Bladedancer, 5 pts into 5% Dodge, get Reprisal first and then Strike Back afterwards.

Hope this hopes.

Wow, the bard spec made a huge difference! thanks!

+ Reply to Thread