+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some advice please

Rift Disciple

Default Some advice please

So I've got this 23 rogue which I love, but I'm struggling to maintain that love. I'm usually a caster player so I really enjoy being melee. But I've found when questing I can really only take on one mob at a time, if another shows up, things get dicey real quick. ATM I'm using a sin/NB build which puts out great dps but has the survivability of a wet tissue. I've also tried NB/sin and a NB/RS for scavenger. The former is pretty much the same as the sin/NB mix and with the NB/RS combo I get a bit more survivability but not a great deal. So my question is, at my current level, what is the most effective melee build. Now, I'm not after something that will allow me to one shot mobs or retain full HP 100% of the time, but something that will make the leveling process a little less painful.

Cheers in advance

Soulwalker

First off I want to apologise as I am replying from my phone so linking builds isn't gonna be possible but I'll do my best to explain. I am also levelling a rogue currently at 29. Now I intend to tank at end game so my spec reflects this, however I am finding it puts out huge damage for the first ten seconds of any pull.
    Build:
    I am levelling as RS/SIN/BD, up to level 26 every point into RS, take attack power x5, phantom blow, boosted recovery x3 and great fortitude x1. Scavenger x3, ruthless x3, shadow assault and imp assault all the way, 5 points into mastery and finally planar refuge and rift prison.
    At your levely splash tree was sin, going x3 into savage strike and 2 into final blow and then puncture. Finishing with x2 in serrated blades this way you are 8 points in and get lethal poison. That's as far as I am going into RS and SIN. all points from here go into blade dancer, once you are 2 points into blade dancer (and get quick strike) respec your Sin to x5 ruthlessness instead of savage/final.
    From here maximise your damage through bladedancer.
    Rotation/combat:
    When starting combat I always use one mob to ramp up buffs; guarded steel and annihilate and phantom blow. From here on I can easily manage 3 to 4 mobs at the same time. Keeping all buffs up and prioritising puncture, rift disturbance and shadow blitz. Keen strike quick strike are my combo spammers. also make sure you are in stalker phase and rotate your shifts sensibly(no more than one every ten seconds to maximise buff time)
    Now so far I am level 29 and haven't use a single drink to regain health yet, I am an apothecary and make use of potions when desperate. If your health drops low just pull one mob at a time until you are back up at higher health. Rift scavenger with the improved healing talent is an absolute dream.
    Rift prison, planar refuge and sidesteps are amazing oh crap moves, and also form part of my rotation when pulling 3 or 4 mobs at a time.
    The spec will take practice to get the hang of keeping your buffs up so don't expect to be able to mass pull straight away. Also when taking 3 or four mobs at a time you have to ensure you kill them one by one with combo points on them to maximise scavenger benefit.
    Personally I am really enjoying this spec. I started rift as a Sin/nb and ended up rerolling a cleric because I got bored of the repetitiveness of the kills, to optimise as an assassin it's just the same buttons every kill, and like the OP said, if a patrol gets involved it's quite hard to recover. I have now rerolled a new realm (too many refills I know, got the cleric to 50 and t2 geared, rolled to play with IRL friends) as a rogue and don't think I'll be looking back. The situation with drinks may change as I get higher and the mobs hot alot harder, but so far so good, one extra bag slot.
    I hope you find this useful
    Happy Rifting,

Feritt, Sparkwing

Rift Disciple

Cheers mate. Much appreciated. I'll give it a whirl

+ Reply to Thread