+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sozu's PvE Ranger Guide [1.2] REVISED

Default Sozu's PvE Ranger Guide [1.2] REVISED

NO UPDATES FROM 1.4 THAT WOULD JUSTIFY ANY MAJOR CHANGES.

I'll start with the build itself.

I have parsed on live servers a consistent 1000-1100 dps completely self buffed (no flasks or fervor).
    Parse Screenshot
    This is about average. The build hovers around 1000 almost the entire 4 minute parse. When you cast shadowfire it dips down, then spikes back up. But it definitely hovers around 1000 DPS.

31 Ranger, 18 Marksman, 17 Assassin
    ZAM BUILD LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This build is EXTREMELY simple. It allows for maximum raid awareness.

I will not list the obvious talents such as the +5% crit chance on Ranger and Assassin, but I will go into detail on a few as to why they are needed. Most of them speak for themselves though.

Key Ranger talents:

1 Crippling Shot ~ This is the Rangers highest damage output combo point generating skill

2 Improved Quick Shot ~ 66% Chance for Quick Shot to cause a bleed

2 Bestial Fury ~ Makes Headshot grant a 5% damage buff to you and your pet for 60 seconds

3 Blood Rage ~ Causes your pet to deal 15% increased damage to a mob that is suffering from a bleed

3 Opportunity ~ 100% chance to grant 1 combo point upon executing finishers (this is a very important talent as it allows you to use a finisher once every 4 GCD's instead of 5)

1 Trick Shot ~ Excellent AOE skill when there is less than 5 targets, also the only AOE skill that generates combo points

1 Rain of Arrows ~ Excellent AOE skill when there is more than 5 targets (This skill is key in Greenscale)

3 Prey on the Weak ~ Grants you a +15% damage buff for 10 seconds after your let scores a critical hit.

1 Hasten Call ~ This is a mandatory skill for raids. In raids, pets are inevitably going to die no matter how much you micro manage them. This skill allows for an instant summon of your pet. In a raid situation you really do not want to be spending 8 seconds summoning.

1 Blood Raptor ~ This is your bread and butter DPS pet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Key Assassin talents:

2 Murderous Intent ~ 4% increase in physical damage

5 Cruel Vengeance ~ +10% damage buff for 10 seconds after any critical hits

2 Magnify Pain ~ +20% Critical hit damage

Key Marksman talents:

5 Single Minded Focus ~ Increase the damage of Rapid Fire Shot by 15%

5 Increased Fire Power ~ Increase Attack Power by 25% for 10 seconds upon critical hits

5 Penetrating Shots ~ Ranged Attacks ignore 20% of the enemies armor

3 Master Archer ~ Adds air damage occasionally to ranged attacks. Points are spent in this talent simply to put you over 18 points for the Marksman Pedestal. If you do not have 200+ hit rating you will want to pick up Sharpshooter instead.

Rotation, Macros and Strategy:

Post - 1.2 the rotation and strategy on Ranger is SIGNIFICANTLY different with the buff to Shadowfire. Basically you will rarely be using any Marksman abilities other than Rapid Fire Shot.

Macros to simplify rotations:

#show Quick Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Crippling Shot
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

#show Head Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast Rapid Fire Shot
    cast Head Shot

For EVERY skill on your hotbar that you use on a mob on a regular basis make the following macro:

#show skillname
    suppressmacrofailures
    petcast Rend
    petcast Bloodied Blow
    petcast Razor Lash
    cast skillname

Buffs:

Virulent Poison
    Lethal Poison
    Predatory Instincts
    Blood Raptor
    Marksman Pedestal

Rotation for Single Target:

Lay down Marksman Pedestal
    Shadowfire > CPMacro > CPMacro > CPMacro > Headshot (Provides +5% to all ranged damage)
    CPMacro > CPMacro > CPMacro > CPMacro > Rapid Fire Shot (Big Burst)
    CPMacro > CPMacro > CPMacro > CPMacro > Head Shot (Highest DPS Finisher)

Head Shot is now the finisher you will spam instead of Hasted Shot.

With this rotation make sure to keep an eye on your Shadowfire buff. Whenever it wears off reapply it manually. Shadowfire has become the bread and butter of our damage increase in patch 1.2.

You will also be using both Crippling Shot and Piercing Shot on cooldown, but since you will have it in your Quick Shot macro you need not worry about it.

You will also be using Rapid Fire Shot on cooldown as this is by far the highest dps finisher in your skillset. But just like Crippling Shot it will be on a macro so you need not worry about it.

Rotation for Multi Target:

2-4 targets:

Trick Shot is your bread and butter in small, multi-mob pulls. Do not use Rain of Arrows as it is a DPS loss when there is only 2-4 mobs. Just spam Trick Shot and use Concussive Blast every 30 seconds for maximum damage output. If you find yourself too starved to spam trick shot (No Living Energy or Fervor buff) just cast a rain of arrows to catch up in energy.

5+ targets:

Lay Marksman Pedestal >

Shadowfire > Trick Shot > Trick Shot > Trick Shot > Concussive Blast > Rain of Arrows > Trick Shot >

Trick Shot > Rain of Arrows

Repeat this rotation for max AOE DPS output.

Cooldown Management:

In a raid setting you will be given the Verse of Joy buff from bards every 2 minutes. When you recieve this buff immediately change your single target rotation to the following:

Hit and Run > Empowered Shot > Empowered Shot > Deadeye Shot > Empowered Shot > Empowered Shot > Deadeye Shot

Repeat this rotation until Hit and run wears off. At this point continue on with your normal rotation.

If you do not have a bard in your group with fervor and verse of joy you can still use this cooldown, just do not use Empowered Shot. You can just use it for a couple instant cast Deadeye Shots. But using instant Empowered Shot without verse of joy really starves you of energy badly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully this helps some of the new Rangers out there. As I said earlier, I am not really one for writing guides.

If anyone on Molinar has any questions, or has any input or improvements please let me know. I am always open to suggestions. One thing I love about Rift is that every build can be endlessly tweaked. I also wanted to point out that what works for me may not work for you. So take what you read here and mold it to something better fitting for your own playstyle.

Good Luck to you all!!!

~Sozu
    Last edited by Sozu; 08-22-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Telaran

Link is off =) says 10 ranger

Telaran

I thought taking crippling shot was bad as it overwrite something else as ours was a lower debuff. Is this been fixed so that the higher one will not be overwritten by the lower one?

Quote Originally Posted by Meemers View Post
    Link is off =) says 10 ranger
    Working on getting that fixed. Apologies. It seems ZAM does not like my sepc and it wont link it. So i changed it up ever so slightly and am trying to get a MOD to edit the original post.

Berekona

I thought taking crippling shot was bad as it overwrite something else as ours was a lower debuff. Is this been fixed so that the higher one will not be overwritten by the lower one?
    Crippling Shot is always a DPS gain. I think you mean Piercing Shot? The whole reason for not using piercing shot was because it overrides the better armor debuff that warriors do. BUT if you go full exposure OUR armor debuff is actually better than the warrior by a small fraction. Since I have noticed Doubleshot does next to no damage now without the rapid fire shot buff, it's just not worth the 5 points. So we had 5 points to spend elsewhere in the Ranger tree.
    Last edited by Sozu; 05-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Telaran

Link is still off

Plane Walker

EDIT: Nevermind it doesn't work for me either. lol

So... Remove 5 points from Auto Shot, 1 point into Piercing Shot, 3 points into exposure and 1 point into Improved Trick Shot?
    Last edited by Neykho; 05-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Yeah like i said, the proper link has the F word jumbled into it and the forum wont allow me to post it without censorship. Working on getting that fixed.

But yes, remove all 5 points from doubleshot, put 1 into Piercing Shot, 3 into Exposure, then the last point wherever you want. I figured improved trick shot just for giggles.

You will also need to add Piercing Shot to your quick shot macro. Make sure it's after Crippling Shot though.
    Last edited by Sozu; 05-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Plane Walker

Here, I used a URL shortener. This should work.

http://bit.ly/lj92ky

once day if i get a relic bow i may try one of these builds, but since i do have relic dagger ill stick with melee ranger for dps
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Qan

Neykho beat me to it.
    Last edited by Qan; 05-16-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Hmm was under the impression there are better debuff than piercing shot. Like other classes have better and thus do not need it.
    Rules do not exist to bind us. They exist so you may know your freedoms.

Plane Touched

Is Piercing Shot really a single-target DPS upgrade over Master Huntsmen?

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Hmm was under the impression there are better debuff than piercing shot. Like other classes have better and thus do not need it.
    A fully traited Exposure talent causes Piercing Shot to be the best armour rend in the game.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Neykho View Post
    Here, I used a URL shortener. This should work.

http://bit.ly/lj92ky
    Thanks! I'm a forum noob. Link is fixed!!

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote Originally Posted by Neykho View Post
    A fully traited Exposure talent causes Piercing Shot to be the best armour rend in the game.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :P
    Yes this is correct. Not only that but Piercing Shot is also in itself the second hardest hitting CP skill in Rangers tree.

It is ONLY worth going into Piercing Shot IF you go full points into Exposure.

And to answer another poster, yes...It is better than Master Huntsman. In my testing Master Huntsman is complete garbage. It only gives the Raptor a 25% chance to double attack with 1 of 3 skills... So that's pretty much 1 in every 12 pet GCD's will it actually proc.

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast