+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About to hit 50, gonna be a small fry. What PvP builds work well while undergeared?

Default About to hit 50, gonna be a small fry. What PvP builds work well while undergeared?

I haven't PvP'd at 50 since 1.2 dropped (I re-rolled from Cleric to Rogue well before 1.2 was announced), so I'm just not sure what the climate is like for new level 50 Rogues.

My current PvP specs are 38 NB/27 RS, and 44 MM/14 NB/7 Rgr. I used to keep a Bard spec handy but it felt so useless in Codex and Whitefall I ended up tossing it.

So... what to do? Lot of high ranked folks now, and as a class who primarily deals in death I'm wondering if it's going to be a struggle to down people with high Valor and deep PvP soul specs.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

Soulwalker

With a very low gear level you're better off supporting your team than trying to kill people. Any halfway decently geared player on the other team will just make you frustrated. Either go bard and heal/buff, or play what I would call the defensive/support marksman build.

If you choose to play the MM/RS build your playstyle is basically:
    1. Use Crossfire/Repelling Shot/Fan Out to keep the other team off the objective (Fang/Flag/SS)
    2. Spam Eradicate on EVERYTHING.
    3. Keep up Barbed Shot on whatever you're trying to kill.
    4. Keep yourself healed up by making use of Rift Scavenger.

Remember you're not there to do damage, you're there to strip buffs and keep people off the objective. Save Imp Hit and Run and Quick Reload for when you REALLY need to kill something.
    Once you get decent gear switch to a better build.

Play Marksman and keep on dispelling and interrupting enemies. As in dispell, tab, dispell, tab, dispell.

I do this during team fights and it just ruins people. Warriors need all of their procs and selfbuffs to do damage (which they get dispelled right off them before their GCD is even over), mages lose nice things like warlock's armor, burning shield or ground of strength, and clerics can have fun putting up their 10+ selfbuffs with a 1.5 second GCD.

Pick up infiltrator as soon as you can and aim to get Cloudy Poison and Anathema as well. Alternatively, go nightblade/infil and keep up fell blades + cloudy poison on groups of people, preferably with a range soul like marksman for cheap Fan Out spam. Make sure you use a gun for this, even if it's a downgrade, so people don't know who's doing it.

That, or play bard, but expect to be focused and die very easily if you don't have enough valor / tanking gear.
    Last edited by nand chan; 05-16-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Until you get better gear, you'll want to play either Ranged DPS or Support (read: Bard).

Marksman seems to be the popular ranged choice these days, if only for the utility of a ranged purge. Though if you want to see more outward BOOM damage, a 51 pt Sab could work. You could be useful in sniping off kills from half health or so before the target has a chance to recover, and the abiity to throw Stun/Slow/Silencing/damage bombs isn't to be laughed at either.

Another possibility would be a 51 Sin/15 infiltrator. With the advantage of slip away, you have the option of leaving the fight if it seems to be going poorly, which is always nice.

Everyone is happy to see a Bard.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Hmm. Good tips. I already like my MM build, so perhaps I'll focus on that (and maybe add in 5 Inf; I've got the soul - I just hadn't planned to use it until R2). And I'll definitely rebuild my Bard spec to support heal. Should be useful in those early bridge fights in PS.

Maybe I'll free up a spec to build a dedicated runner build (38 RS / 18 MM / 10 Inf) so I can run shards in WfS and PS. I ran something like that for a while (I called it the "Gingerbread Man" build ), but it got kinda boring, and it was easy enough to just kill people as a NB.
    Unrepentant Gaming Community

Bacardi: Rogue (Defiant/Sunrest)
    Dao: Cleric (Defiant/Gnarlwood)

Soulwalker

There's a huge amount of team utility to be found in Saboteur which is often overlooked. The AoE silence can take out a group of cheeky mages; the poison gas bomb can be used to lockdown a flag and prevent the enemy from capturing it; an adhesive bomb in the right place can stop melee classes from reaching healers or mages; the annihalation bomb can be used to stun groups of enemies or the flag carrier (pre-1.2 anyway, now it may stun but will always damage). On top of this you'll be doing a respectable amount of damage.

This is what I did at 50 until getting some prestige 2/3 gear and switching to MM; it can be the differewnce between a win and a lose. Also, carpet bombing + spam poison gas bombs = so many numbers. Great AoE, great support, and some decent single target damage.

This is what I would advise.

A decently specced and tank-geared bard spamming cadence at bridge can last for a stupidly long time pushing out heals to everyone (Which should be enough to cover at least the mass AOE spam going on there) in Scion.

If you`re going to bleed out, pop the healing verse, then pop virtuoso and spam some more.

Voila, somehow bridge is yours!

Addendum: Strat not guaranteed to work, offer void where prohibited, money back no guarantee.

The MM PVP spec really works around picking up a target who isn`t watching for you, hitting imp H&R, spamming emp shot and then bull`s eye the finisher and rinse repeat. He should die before your buff wears off. If he doesn`t and he`s close, pop reload and do it again. If he`s far frmo dead, it`s time to run.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Play Marksman and keep on dispelling and interrupting enemies. As in dispell, tab, dispell, tab, dispell.

I do this during team fights and it just ruins people. Warriors need all of their procs and selfbuffs to do damage (which they get dispelled right off them before their GCD is even over), mages lose nice things like warlock's armor, burning shield or ground of strength, and clerics can have fun putting up their 10+ selfbuffs with a 1.5 second GCD.

Pick up infiltrator as soon as you can and aim to get Cloudy Poison and Anathema as well. Alternatively, go nightblade/infil and keep up fell blades + cloudy poison on groups of people, preferably with a range soul like marksman for cheap Fan Out spam. Make sure you use a gun for this, even if it's a downgrade, so people don't know who's doing it.

That, or play bard, but expect to be focused and die very easily if you don't have enough valor / tanking gear.
    This is pretty spot on. Don't expect to be the kill-leading hero of your team. Look for ways that you can positively contribute that don't rely on damage.

Barding and MM both allow you to accomplish this.

As an alternative to Eradicate you can also go with a MM(32)/NB(34) or MM(34)/NB(32) and spread around Fell Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiar View Post
    Until you get better gear, you'll want to play either Ranged DPS or Support (read: Bard).

Marksman seems to be the popular ranged choice these days, if only for the utility of a ranged purge. Though if you want to see more outward BOOM damage, a 51 pt Sab could work. You could be useful in sniping off kills from half health or so before the target has a chance to recover, and the abiity to throw Stun/Slow/Silencing/damage bombs isn't to be laughed at either.

Another possibility would be a 51 Sin/15 infiltrator. With the advantage of slip away, you have the option of leaving the fight if it seems to be going poorly, which is always nice.

Everyone is happy to see a Bard.

51pt sab is a great kill stealer...... *cough* Satiar *cough*

jk <3 you Satiar hehe

But seriously, anything ranged would be your best bet now since they buffed valor.
    Last edited by Blakjak02; 05-16-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Blakjak
    Liquidus - Defiant - Keenblade

Message me in the game if you want to chat...

Rift Disciple

51 NB / 8 RS / 7 BD

Incredibly versital, high damage, high defense.

There are other builds that will do a little more damage but this is the most well rounded (solid) PvP build I've found.

There`s also a 31NB/31MM spec floating around someplace that lets you chain Strafe into Rapid fire shot into Dusk to Dawn for some pretty damn nice burst.

+ Reply to Thread