+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saboteur - Charges on Multiple Mobs prior to Combat

Soulwalker

Default Saboteur - Charges on Multiple Mobs prior to Combat

I may be well behind the band wagon on this one, but I have never seen it mentioned before, so I figured I'd bring it here.

As a saboteur, it is possible to stack up five charges on multiple mobs. Obviously, your combo points drop off the previous target when you switch to a new one, but the charges remain for a full minute. Why is this useful, you might ask?

Well, with just a single combo point on a target, you can detonate ALL charges on them. So, as a quick example.

Prior to combat, you stack five (four works, really) Shrapnel charges on Mob A, Mob B, and Mob C. Combat starts, and only Mob C has combo points on him. You detonate mob C, hitting all three with shrapnel, then switch to Mob A. Throw one charge at Mob A, then detonate. All five shrapnel charges you placed on Mob A prior to combat now explode, hitting all three. Then throw one at Mob B, and detonate again.

The effect of this is, assuming pre-combat set up time, three full 5-charge Shrapnel detonations for just 5 global cooldowns and some savvy targetting. Throw in Incriminate so you don't immediately die, of course.

This method can easily be modified as desired, switching charges around as needed, or even using Annihilation Bomb on Mob C (or whatever) to spread Spike Charges around a bit.

I have found this to be a devastating tactic in dungeon groups if I have a few moments to charge up pre-combat. No comment on PvP or raiding, of course, due to no experience with them.

I dont know that and i ahve to admit this has to be fun and one good way to shock some poor mage with 5k dps lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tanithilis View Post
    I may be well behind the band wagon on this one, but I have never seen it mentioned before, so I figured I'd bring it here.

As a saboteur, it is possible to stack up five charges on multiple mobs. Obviously, your combo points drop off the previous target when you switch to a new one, but the charges remain for a full minute. Why is this useful, you might ask?

Well, with just a single combo point on a target, you can detonate ALL charges on them. So, as a quick example.

Prior to combat, you stack five (four works, really) Shrapnel charges on Mob A, Mob B, and Mob C. Combat starts, and only Mob C has combo points on him. You detonate mob C, hitting all three with shrapnel, then switch to Mob A. Throw one charge at Mob A, then detonate. All five shrapnel charges you placed on Mob A prior to combat now explode, hitting all three. Then throw one at Mob B, and detonate again.

The effect of this is, assuming pre-combat set up time, three full 5-charge Shrapnel detonations for just 5 global cooldowns and some savvy targetting. Throw in Incriminate so you don't immediately die, of course.

This method can easily be modified as desired, switching charges around as needed, or even using Annihilation Bomb on Mob C (or whatever) to spread Spike Charges around a bit.

I have found this to be a devastating tactic in dungeon groups if I have a few moments to charge up pre-combat. No comment on PvP or raiding, of course, due to no experience with them.
    This same trick works when you are solo questing as well. Set up a booby trap and land mine as well and a three mob pull will never get to you. Silent setup is by far the sabos best ability. Setting up as many as 20 charges before the fight ever begins and then being able to set them off 4 at a time during the first 10 seconds of the fight is some serious DPS. Read the soul discription that Trion has written about the Sabo, "Saboteurs mold the battlefield to suit their needs, and with careful planning, a lone Saboteur can overcome the most formidable foes in one explosive instant." 30 seconds of bordom while we set everything up, followed by 10 seconds of pure chaos as things die all over the place. Fun times.

Rift Disciple

Hmm didn't thought of it.... interesting. Going to try it out in raids probably.
    Instance trash die too fast now.

Soulwalker

Ran a dungeon (AP, I believe it was) using this technique, and as long as I was able to get some prep down before the tank pulled, I was able to get mobs in a three-man pack to about 30% by detonating shrapnel on all three, taking about 6 seconds (Dark Malady, Detonate, Charge, Detonate, Charge, Detonate). Extremely pleasing results, that's for sure.

If and when I get a damage meter/parser going, I'll see about doing some training dummy testing for some real numbers. Either way, though, it's EXTREMELY satisfying to do.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by dbmoreland View Post
    This same trick works when you are solo questing as well. Set up a booby trap and land mine as well and a three mob pull will never get to you. Silent setup is by far the sabos best ability. Setting up as many as 20 charges before the fight ever begins and then being able to set them off 4 at a time during the first 10 seconds of the fight is some serious DPS. Read the soul discription that Trion has written about the Sabo, "Saboteurs mold the battlefield to suit their needs, and with careful planning, a lone Saboteur can overcome the most formidable foes in one explosive instant." 30 seconds of bordom while we set everything up, followed by 10 seconds of pure chaos as things die all over the place. Fun times.
    Dropping an adhesive bomb between you and the mobs makes this even more hilarious. The mobs are just so helpless.

+ Reply to Thread