+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charge Booster - Working as Intended?

Shadowlander

Default Charge Booster - Working as Intended?

Ok, I'm a level 48 sab right now. I've probably leveled about 90% of the way through straight PvP in Warfronts. Generally speaking, since the early 20's I've been number one in Killing Blows and number one in Damage the VAST majority of games, often getting 15-20 Killing Blows to the second place's 6.

I've been sharpening my build over the last few levels, and now that I'm a good level to mess around with the practice dummies in Meridian, I've been breaking down some math on the individual components of my total damage. What I found this morning shocked me.

We all know that the old ability that Charge Booster replaced was probably too strong. Well, given how powerful it WAS, and how powerful Charge Booster looks on paper, I still went heavy into the Sab tree - to feed my Charge Booster's percentage primarily.

So...

Only testing 5 Blast Charges followed by Detonate, I found that my average damage across the board with everything added in (High Explosives tick X4, Detonate, Charge Booster, Blast Charge X5) I was getting in the 2700-3900 damage range depending on how many things crit.

Out of all that damage, my Charge Booster was responsible for 175-200 damage each time. I was shocked at how low that damage was. I currently have 48 points in the sab tree, and a WHOLE BUNCH of twink gear complete with the highest damage runes available. My weapons are level 46 purple axes being dual wielded along with a high level blue bow. Given my stats, gear and total points spent in the tree, 175 damage seems woefully low in the grand scheme of things. Has there been any talk of the usefulness of this talent? Does the community feel the same? Are there even enough people still playing Sabs to make an argument for or against this talent? :P

Champion

The view from the rogues in my guild is yes, its pretty pants now.

Used to be the must have move of sabs ensuring that varying charges actually was a good idea.

Now its at most a 500% of weapon damage hit on each 5 point detonate and when weapons are 29.2 dps for the ones that the average person will have (relics and t3 not withstanding) thats what, 200 damage every 6 seconds?

Its not huge, but then your hard pushed to find any 1 talent that would give 30dps :/ still not great.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    The view from the rogues in my guild is yes, its pretty pants now.

Used to be the must have move of sabs ensuring that varying charges actually was a good idea.

Now its at most a 500% of weapon damage hit on each 5 point detonate and when weapons are 29.2 dps for the ones that the average person will have (relics and t3 not withstanding) thats what, 200 damage every 6 seconds?

Its not huge, but then your hard pushed to find any 1 talent that would give 30dps :/ still not great.
    Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking too. I'm now really re-thinking going so far into the Sab tree. Charge Booster was the icing on the cake that kept me so heavily invested in the tree. Now I'm thinking about all kinds of sub trees, trying to get a little more PvP punch out of my build.

Telaran

I'm pretty sure it's less than that. I believe it's figuring 50% weapoin damage, then multiplying that by 450% (for 51 point Sab) for a total of 275% weapon damage. The new bleed at 44 ought to help single target dps a bit (and it really needs help); but they removed Last STand which was a useful, if situational, ability for both PvE AoE and in PvP (quick anti-stealth, without maddening delay caused by ground-targetting).

Champion

nah its each point raises the amount of damage taken from weapon damage by 15% so at 51 points its 500% of your weapon damage hit, which is still low.

its 50+15per point% of weapon damage.

Finally got round to testing some of the sab stuff, and unfortunately the bleed at 44 still isn't enough to "fix" a heavy sab build, but im still testing.
    Last edited by Dasorine; 05-16-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Xsi

It's pretty bad in comparison to how it worked prior but to maximize damage, you need 5 combo points applied to the target; and if you go up that far in the Sabo tree (even for what the ability now does), you may as well get it since for one point, it's still not bad.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Plane Touched

It's not the best talent point but every time I tested (Well... did the maths... I'm too poor to keep respecing) the 1/1 of Charge Booster beat 1/5 Improved Detonate so when I used to go 26 points into Sab (In 1.1) I used to go 4/5 Improved Detonate and 1/1 Charge Booster since it did more damage than the last point in the Improved Detonate.

It may not be great, but when compared to the alternatives it holds it's own (Unless you often use less than 5 charges on detonates (But if you are doing that, chances are you don't need the extra damage))

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    (But if you are doing that, chances are you don't need the extra damage))
    Darn 5 minute edit: I just wanted to clarify here (Since there are a few situations where you may want to use less than 5 point detonates) that the tiny percent extra damage you will do when you'd do a 1 point detonate (The most common non-5 point detonate) with the extra point in Improved Detonate wouldn't out perform the damage you get from Booster Charge at 5 points if you are using 5 point Detonates alot more than 1 point ones.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    Darn 5 minute edit: I just wanted to clarify here (Since there are a few situations where you may want to use less than 5 point detonates) that the tiny percent extra damage you will do when you'd do a 1 point detonate (The most common non-5 point detonate) with the extra point in Improved Detonate wouldn't out perform the damage you get from Booster Charge at 5 points if you are using 5 point Detonates alot more than 1 point ones.
    While this probably won't help too much in PvP, the use of Deadly Dance from DS in the BD tree with 20 in *** and 27 in Sab is the highest dmg a sab can do. It will do roughly 80% more dmg than the old sab with NB and *** or the new 44 or 51 Sab spec.

+ Reply to Thread